StarHub Community|The Community Run by You
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Sony Xperia Z3 Compact – Small but Powerful

Android™ Expert

Together with their flagship, the Sony Xperia Z3, Sony has launched the Xperia Z3 Compact as well. It is basically the same phone with similar specifications but smaller! I can easily say that Sony Xperia Z3 compact is the most powerful phone that has a screen size smaller than 5.0 inches!

Below is the specifications for Sony Xperia Z3 Compact

Chipset – Qualcomm Snapdragon 801 SoC (2.5GHz Quad-Core)
CPU - Adreno 330
Display – 4.6 inches (720x1280) ~ 319ppi
OS – Android 4.4.4 KitKat
Battery – 2600 mAh non-removable
RAM – 2GB DDR
ROM – 16GB eMMC
Camera – 20.7 MP with Sony Exmor RS
microSD – Yes
Connectivity – LTE-enabled / WiFi – A/B/G/N/AC / NFC
Special Features – High dust and water resistance – IP65/68
Up to 2 days battery life for long lasting performance

In this review, I will compare the Z3 compact with Z3 and at the same time, highlight some important and interesting features that are found exclusive in Sony phones.

Design

z3 com col

The design of the Z3 compact is really astonishing. The sharp edges that you see in Sony’s older generation flagships are replaced by curved metal. It gives the phone a more premium look and at the same time, provide more protection from drops and shatter.

Sony has also bumped up its waterproof rating to the highest waterproof rating in the market. Allowing you to answer calls in the rain, take pictures in the pool (please don’t bring it to the sea, salt water has higher chances of causing corrosion). You can even use a piece of ice to cool down the phone if you feel that your phone is heating up! The combined slim and compact design makes it really easy to use with one hand! Best of all, it comes with 4 colours and all of them look gorgeous!

Camera

With the powerful camera sensor found in Z3 compact, you will never miss a moment to capture the precious time, regardless of the lighting conditions. With Cyber-shot and Handycam technologies, you can record videos on the move at high resolution and framerates. IP68 rating allows you to take crisp shots underwater. The unique camera app that is exclusive to Sony Xperia phones allows you to take your creativity to the next level!

Battery Life

Through my two weeks with the Sony Xperia Z3 Compact, the battery life really amazed me. With normal to high usage (heavy web browsing most of the time), the phone can easily last me through the day. On average, I managed to squeeze out 1.5 days of battery life with 5 hours of Screen on time on one single charge! All these are done on LTE connection and brightness set to auto.

Display

20141022_080318.jpg

20141022_080325.jpg

The display on Xperia Z3 compact brings display technology to a whole new level. Unlike other OEMs, Sony uses their own display technology. With Triluminos display and X-Reality Engine, the display is really bright and crisp. There is really nothing to complain about the display even though it is only 720p. In fact, I prefer this display on Z3 compact over the 1440p display found in LG G3. Visibility under sunlight is superb as well, although I wish that the finish of the display will be more matte so that it won’t be glaring when using under direct sunlight. A matte type screen protector should fix this for people who prefer matte finishing.

Conclusion

Sony Xperia Z3 Compact is the best sub 5.0 inch phone you can get in the market currently. If you are looking for a small sized phone, you can never go wrong with Sony Xperia Z3 Compact with its amazing display, camera and battery life. However, if you are looking for bigger phones, this phone might not suit you. Look for Sony Xperia Z3 instead!

Rating: 4/5

Interested in getting the Xperia Z3 Compact? Check out the StarHub eShop at the following link!

SONY Xperia Z3 Compact

Get it now!

From now till 31 Oct, customers who sign up to the Z3 or Z3 Compact with any 2-year mobile plan stands to win a trip for 2 to Japan!