StarHub Community|The Community Run by You
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Sony Xperia Z2 - In Water!

Android™ Expert

I have been looking for a chance to test the waterproofness of the Sony Xperia Z series for ages and finally StarHub has given be the green light to do so on a loan device! Sony Xperia Z2 is rated IP58, which also means that it can be submerged in 1.5m of fresh water for 30 minutes!

Below is a video of me playing with the Xperia Z2 and submerging it in a bottle of water. I have no chance to test it in a 1.5m deep water tank because I simply don’t have one and I don’t think it is legal to test it in the swimming pool. (Not to mention, water in swimming pool contains chlorides which might be harmful to the phone)

Please pardon my poor camera skills.

Z2.1

z2.2

z2.3

Generally, the phone is unusable while in contact with water. I guess the only thing that works will be the camera since you can take pictures using its dedicated camera button. The touchscreen is totally unusable but the screen remains as bright and vibrant!

Through my 1 week with the Sony Xperia Z2, I have encountered many occasions where the waterproof ability proves to be a great function. I was having my dinner at a fast food restaurant and I checked my messages on the phone with my oily hands. All I had to do to completely remove the smudges was to bring it to the washroom and wash it under the tap!

After playing graphics intensive games on the phone, it will get rather hot. I have tried cooling the phone down by submerging in water (liquid cooling) and placing a piece of ice on the phone too! The ice method cooled the phone down really fast!

I don’t think anyone will want to subject their beloved phones to such conditions but this review serves to show that Sony Xperia Z2 is indeed very durable when it comes to waterproofness. I certainly hope that I have more time with the phone to subject it to further tests in the lab (acids, bases and oxidants maybe?) and I will post my findings when I have the chance to do so!

Looking to purchase a Sony Xperia Z2? Head over to this link!

While the screen does not work underwater, but when I go underwater with my Z1, the screen goes haywire and starts 'pressing' on everything by itself. i.e. back button, start up my Hay Day, or Facebook. pffttt.

Even with the dedicated camera shutter button it might not be able to take a picture due to this issue (camera app exited due to the issue LOL) 

Other than that, I hope I do not see someone (or is there already one?) posts a complaint about S5 going into water and is damaged. Smiley Tongue

Senior Advocate

@8geeki do see Z2 being promoted with alot of underwater pictures and some reviews also includes underwater pictures...i think the underwater touch screen issue has been resolved in Z2

Android™ Expert

I was just thinking that it would be cool if you can call your family and friends underwater..

Senior Consultant

@IncTEh you may, if you use a waterproof mic/earphones? Smiley Very Happy but wait, you're gonna sound muffled, whattttttttt. 

Android™ Expert

maybe one day we can converse with fishes hehehe