GreenR Community|The Community Run by You
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Samsung's focus on software upgrades for Galaxy S4

Android™ Expert

On paper Galaxy S4 indeed have a hardware bump as they upgrade from S3. But these are only minor hardware upgrades where average users can't really feel the difference in terms of speed and performance. This is because most high-end phones have hardware performance that is superior over the software capabilities.  The average consumer might not even know that it has 2GB of RAM.  Even Samsung don’t brag on the improved hardware as they already know its the best in the market. In their launch event, Samsung only mention about the S4 specs only on 1 final slide, after their credits (as shown below).
Screen Shot 2013-03-24 at 11.23.07 PM

Having said this, Samsung focus might not be at the hardware this time. They learnt that the previous S3 consumers are inclined towards their product due to innovative software enhancement.. By inferring from the launch event, its easy to spot that they are adding value towards their software. Samsung spend the entire launch presentation elaborating on the new innovative software features.

Here are some of the awesome software features that S4 have a lead as compared to any other phones.
1) Smart pause – Pause video when users look away
Screen Shot 2013-03-24 at 11.09.24 PM

2) Air View – Control device without touching it (good for those who have long nails)
Screen Shot 2013-03-24 at 11.10.13 PM

3) Watch On – Use IR blaster for any TV. Yes, any TV with the IR receiver. (even the ancient CRT ones)
Screen Shot 2013-03-24 at 11.10.32 PM

4) Optical Reader – scanning business card info
Screen Shot 2013-03-24 at 11.10.47 PM

5) Group Play – Share Music and play games on multiple devices
Screen Shot 2013-03-24 at 11.11.03 PM

6) Dual Shot – Use and record front facing and back facing camera at the same time.
Screen Shot 2013-03-24 at 11.12.01 PM

7) Chat On – Samsung’s version of Facetime

8) Tilt Scroll - Using gyroscope for scrolling though web pages instead of touch scroll.

9) S Translator – Enhanced Google translator

10) S Health -  Monitor physical health and reach goals
Screen Shot 2013-03-24 at 11.13.00 PM

It seems that Samsung is successful in pulling off its “S” Branding, without even mentioning Android. Do you think Samsung is pulling away from Android to develop its own branding?
Personally I feel that Galaxy S4 features is definitely making a move towards value adding via software since it already have superiority over hardware. What do you guy think? Do drop some comments below.

Samsung S4 will be retailing on the 27th April. Be one of the 1st to own it! Click here to find out more.

Please Kudo if you find this useful.

http://yul000.wordpress.com/
57 Comments
Valued Commentator
One more feature that it stops the video incase you move the head
Administrator

Hi everyone,

Thanks for your comments

Any of you interested to write reviews for us?

Please send a private message to me if you are interested!

New Commentator

Longer Battery life is more important thing, that i concern 

Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

Heard there is a noticable lag in the phone (the Snapdragon 600 one we get here). It's a bit of a disappointment seeing how highly specced this phone is and that it is the flagship model. As much as I applaud Samsung for pushing the envelope and trying to cram in as many 'innovative' software features into their highly specced hardware, a lot of it comes off as gimmicy and just adds to the bloat, not ready for real world use.  

New Commentator

I like the dual camera feature, great camera and nice resolution.

Esteemed Commentator

I'm definitely looking forward to trying it out.

New Commentator

Samsung really is the best smartphone so far. I started using Nolkia model E51 which has a wifi function. That was like 8 years ago when Samsung was unheard of. The market was dominated by Nokia. After that, iphone was a big hit in the market and i personally had iphone 3GS and ipad. Then came the rival at full speed and it literally took over the market due to its friendly features and also less hassle of download programmes through I-tune. I have mini S3, S3 and also the galaxy note 10.1

Currently i am galaxy 10.1 as phone and my work station. Its features are marvellous and the best part is that it allows you to have dual screens to work with. Love the gadget. I love the big screen as it allows for reading comfort and also the mutiple tabs make surfing a bliss.

As for blogging, i seldom use. Since this is asking for S4 which is the only one i did not possess, i am trying my luck here Smiley Wink

I believe Samsung is going be the BEST phone i ever use so far. Good job guys !