GreenR Community|The Community Run by You
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Samsung Galaxy Note Edge 4G+: Be Edgy!

Android™ Expert

IMG_20150303_112745.jpg

The Samsung Galaxy Note Edge 4G+ has specifications pretty much identical to the Galaxy Note 4. The main difference between them would be that Note Edge has the edge screen, and it is packed with various very useful functions! In this article, the advantages of Note Edge and its edge screen will be highlighted.

Much like Note 4, Note Edge is packed with the best specifications in the market during the date of launch.

Below are its specifications.

Chipset – Qualcomm Snapdragon 805 SoC (2.7GHz Quad-Core)
CPU - Adreno 420
Display – Quad HD Super AMOLED 5.6 inches (1440(+160)*2560)
OS – Android 4.4.4 KitKat with TouchWiz UI
Battery – 3000 mAh Removable
RAM – 3GB
ROM –32GB eMMC
Camera – 16 MP with Shake Free Smart OIS
microSD – Yes
Connectivity – Cat 6 LTE-enabled (up to 300mbps) / WiFi – A/B/G/N/AC / NFC
Special Features – S Pen, S Health, Fast Charging

Design

The design of Note Edge is very similar to Note 4, with the exception of the curved screen at the right side of the phone. This also means that the power button has to be shifted to the top of the phone. Initial week with the phone gave me some problems with locking the phone with one hand, the placement of the button was just too weird for me. However, it only took me that week to get used to it.

IMG_20150303_114205.jpg

It certainly looks and feel weird at the first sight, but once you get used to it. The phone is really a beast that is packed with goodies.

Performance

The Note Edge has a slightly lower battery capacity of 3000 mAh as compared to Note 4’s 3220 mAh. However, no real difference can be noticed during normal usage. Both Note 4 and Note Edge is able to last through the day without any issues.

Also do note that the screen resolution of Note Edge is slightly higher than QHD. The extra pixels is dedicated to the edge screen.

Edge

Most of the time, the Edge Panels is hidden until you interact with it or when notification arrives. This is a really great feature as incoming notification will not bring you out of your current app. The important information will be displayed on the Edge Panel.

The Edge Panel can also be customized to display your personalized text, image or even doodles!

Screenshot_2015-03-03-11-43-08.png 

The Edge Panel also acts as your apps shortcut. Populate your favourite apps on the edge screen and you can launch them in any apps through the Edge Panel!

Screenshot_2015-03-03-11-43-22.png

Compatible apps such as S Note, Spotify and Camera will utilize the Edge Panel as well. For example, the Edge Panel will allow you to change tracks on Spotify without launching the app or pulling down the notification drawer. The Edge Panel basically acts as a more convenient way for you to multi task!

Much like notifications on Android Lollipop, the notifications will be displayed on the Edge Panel. Simply tap on the panel to launch the app that has the notification!

The Edge Panel also provides a simple and less battery consuming way of checking the time and notification. Simply swipe the Edge Panel while your screen is off and only the Edge Panel will activated.

Screenshot_2015-03-03-12-08-11.png

Worth the buy?

Note Edge is definitely innovative! Don’t be terrified by the weird looking form factor and Edge Panel. It is actually really convenient! I would take the Note Edge over Note 4 anytime! Try out the Samsung Galaxy Note Edge 4G+ today!

Like the Galaxy Note 4, I have nothing much to complain about the phone. It just takes time to get use to the phone!

Rating: 4.5/5