StarHub Community|The Community Run by You
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

LG G3 - Simple is the new Smart

Android™ Expert

After attending the launch event in 28 May, I was eagerly anticipating for the new flagship phone from LG. Finally, I got my hands on a set and so here is my review!

WP_20140619_001.jpg

WP_20140619_003.jpg 

Kudos to StarHub for providing me with the handset before official release. @Howard Toh teased me with pictures of it yesterday and I rushed down immeidately to receive it! Was late for a dinner appointment with my friends because of this :x

First, I am going to begin with the specifications of this monster.

Key Specifications

• Chipset: Qualcomm Snapdragon 801 (2.5GHz Quad Core)
  • Display: 5.5 icnh Quad HD IPS (2560 x 1440, 538ppi)
  • Memory, 16/32GB eMMC ROM/ 2/3GB DDR3 RAM/ microSD slot (up to 128GB)
  • Camera: 13.0MP with OIS+ and Laser Auto Focus / Front 2.1 MP
  • Battery: 3000 mAh removable with build-in wireless charging
  • Size: 146.3 x 74.6 x 8.9mm
  • Weight : 150g
  • Network: 4G / LTE(Cat 4) / HSPA+ 42.2 Mbps (3G), GSM
  • Connectivity: Wi-Fi 802.11a/b/g/n/ac, BT 4.0 LE, NFC, A-GPS/Glonass, USB 2.0
  • Colour: Metallic Black, Silk White, Shine Gold (Moon Violet and Burgundy Red available at a later date)
  • Other: Smart Keyboard, Smart Notice, Knock Code, Guest Mode, etc.

Do note that only the 32GB/3GB version will be available from StarHub. (which is pretty much a good news to everyone)

My first impression of the LG G3 so far has been a delightful one. The metallic finishing on both the front LG bar at the bottom of the screen and the back cover looks gorgeous. The back cover is indeed fingerprint resistant. I have tried multiple ways to leave my fingerprint there and has failed terribly so far.

2014-06-19 09.21.08.jpg

In this review, I shall focus on the key features of LG G3, and that is the QHD (1440p) screen, the camera and the UX.

Viewing Experience

As mentioned in my previous post, LG has managed to pack a large 5.5 inch screen on a small body. One which other OEM are only able to deliver with a 5.2 inch screen. To add on, that 5.5 inch screen comes with a resolution of 1440p, pixel density of 538ppi. Everything looks sharper and clearer on the LG G3. The bezels all around the phone is noticeable smaller as compared to other flagship phones. However, it does not seem as thin as that of the LG G2 though, sadly.

Another thing to note is that the device gets warm after prolong usage. As the temperature increases, the maximum brightness you are allowed to set on the phone decreases as well. This should not affect users much, since the brightness is set to auto most of the time.

To power this monstrous display, LG G3 is equipped with a removable 3000 mAh removable battery. I am still in the middle of testing the battery life and I will report it soon!

Capturing the Special Moments

The G3’s 13 MP OIS+ camera with laser auto focus is really simple. Simple as in simple to use. With the laser auto focus, the G3 is able to capture the special moments, even in low light. It measures the distance between the subject and the camera using a laser beam to achieve focus and all these is done in a fraction of a second! Even a photography amateur like me is able to take wonderful pictures.

The G3’s 2.1MP front facing camera has several new features. It is furnished with larger image sensor and larger aperture for more light throughput and ultimately, better looking selfies. Interesting gesture controls is also added to the front facing camera. Simply just clench your fist and the countdown timer will start. Very simple, much convenience!

Smart UX

Other new key features to LG G3 UI includes Smart Keyboard, Smart Notice and Smart Security.

• As the name suggests, Smart Keyboard is an adaptive technology that learns as you type. It analyses your typing habits and reduces input errors by up to 75%.

• What I really like is the Smart Notice function. It is like a personal assistant in your phone and provides suggestions and recommendations based on the user’s behaviour. Smart Notice will remind you of a call you have declined earlier, ask you to delete files or apps that you do not use and even reminds you to bring an umbrella out by looking at the weather forecast! It just reminded me to wear a pair of rain boots today!

• LG understands the importance of maintaining and securing confidential data when smartphones are shared, misplaced or stolen. With Knock Code, you are able to unlock your phone without actually turning on the screen. It has almost 80000 combinations making it one of the most secure unlocking methods out there. Content lock keeps personal files safe and hidden with 128 bit encryption, preventing the confidential files from being viewed. Lastly, the kill switch gives the users the ability to disable their phones and wiping the contents remotely so that personal information will not be compromised.

I am still in the middle of trying out the phone. And will consistently update this as I find more interesting features in the LG G3!

Update : You are able to use ART on LG G3. 

Update : After one full day of usage on LTE + BT (paired with my pebble watch) I still have 55% of juice left. With 2 hours of on screen time. It is very awesome in my opinion. No battery saving mode or whatsoever.

Update : Battery life is much better on LTE than on 3G for some reason. Achieve more than 4 hours of SOT with at least 30% battery left daily. 

Do look out for future updates!

Get your LG G3 at StarHub Online Store now!

Disclaimer* This is not a paid review. I am an avid LG fan given the opportunity to try out the handset prior to its official release.

Great review. Keen to find out the battery life in real usage.
Valued Advocate

So how's the battery life? 

Android™ Expert

The battey life is great so far. Last me at least a day, if not even 1.5 days. My usage includes heavy whatsapp, music, camera, web browsing. SOT is around 5 hours with LTE on throughout.