StarHub Community|The Community Run by You
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

LG G Pro 2 – Bigger the Better

Android™ Expert

LG G Pro 2 was first shown off during MWC 2014. It has a large 5.9 inch screen across, slighting larger than Samsung Galaxy Note 3. It is built with very similar design as LG G2, with its volume and power buttons at the back. Its specifications are as below.

Chipset – Qualcomm Snapdragon 800 SoC (2.26GHz Quad-Core)
GPU  - Adreno 330

Display - 5.7 inch 1080p fHD, IPS Display
OS – Android 4.4.2 KitKat
Battery – 3200mAh (removable)
RAM – 3GB DDR
ROM – 32GB eMMC
Camera – 13 MP with OIS+
microSD – Yes
Connectivity – LTE-enabled / WiFi – A/B/G/N/AC / NFC
Special Features – Knock Code, 1W Hi-Fi Sound

In this review, I will compare LG G Pro 2 with its competitor, Samsung Galaxy Note 3 and its smaller brother, the LG G2. My initial impression is that the ‘Pro’ title means that there are some professional tools that LG G2 lacks, but both devices essentially the same. This one is just simply bigger.

02_5_9-inch_Full_HD_IPS_Display.jpg

The Hardware

The screen of LG G2 is really gorgeous, and LG didn’t disappoint us with the LG G Pro 2. The full HD IPS display ensures wide viewing angles while maintaining the accurate and rich colours. The absence of physical soft or hard keys synergise well with the marvelous display too. The poweful Snapdragon 800 SoC coupled with 3GB of RAM ensures that every single app that you can find in Play Store runs with ease - with plenty of room to spare. However, the back of the phone is simply another piece of plastic and does make the phone end up feeling slightly cheap.

05_Design.jpg

LG G Pro 2 is a rather light phone – only 172g for its size – with a rather thin body of only 8.3mm. It is packed with a removable 3200mAh battery that was able to last me 1.5 days with moderate to high usage – playing games, surfing the net, checking and replying emails. It has a microSD card slot too – unlike LG G2 – which ensures storage expandability for all your photos, music and video needs. However, it does not have a stylus - unlike Galaxy Note 3 – but then again I don’t really use the stylus! The back cover has the matte feel and has more grip as compared to the regular plastic back cover – pretty much similar to LG G2.

04_3,200_SiO+_Battery.jpg

The speaker on this phone is amazing! – 1W Hi-Fi Sound! You have to listen to it yourself to experience it here. Basically, it has by far the most powerful speaker found in phones that I have played with so far. The camera is superb as well, with 13 MP and OIS even a photography newbie like me have no problem taking amazing pictures with this phone! Magic focus function is especially useful for me too! It helps to focus on the necessary details.

03_13MP_OIS_Plus_Camera.jpg

09_Natural_Flash_Magic_Focus.jpg

tl;dr

This phone is great for those who prefer bigger screens. If you are looking for smaller ones, get the LG G2 or even better, wait for LG G3! – I am eagerly waiting for G3

There is nothing much I can pick on, except for the plastic body, but then again it makes the phone lighter. Battery, performance and camera are all really outstanding! LG never fails to impress me, and they managed to do it again this time round with LG G Pro 2!

This phone is great for those who prefer bigger screens. If you are looking for smaller ones, get the LG G2 or even better, wait for LG G3! – I am eagerly waiting for G3

There is nothing much I can pick on, except for the plastic body, but then again it makes the phone lighter. Battery, performance and camera are all really outstanding!

The Software

The phone runs on LG’s own OS packed with Android Kitkat 4.4.2. It certainly is not as clean as the stock Android OS found in Nexus 5, but it has some interesting and useful apps and function. One that is worthy to mention will be ‘Knock Code’.

‘Knock Code’ gives users a new and innovative way to unlock their device while maintaining high security. Very similar to the regular pattern lock, ‘Knock Code’ basically allows you to unlock your device simply by tapping on your screen in a certain combination that you have set. You can unlock the screen without even switching on the screen!

Another great feature of the dual browser function. It allows me to surf the web while reading my email –or many other combinations. It is very similar to multi-window found in TouchWiz, but I prefer LG’s dual browser as it uses less memory and is much more butter smooth – or at least that is what I felt.

08_Dual_Browser.jpg

tl;dr

Nothing much was changed from LG G2 except for these few features that I have mentioned. They are great addition to the existing features and are certainly useful ones. Thumbs up LG!

Comparing with SGN3 and LG G2

LG G Pro 2 has almost same specifications as Samsung Galaxy Note 3, with the exception that SGN3 has a stylus and LG G Pro 2 do not. I will choose LG G Pro 2 over SGN3 simply because of the OS. TouchWiz on SGN3 is just not for me, too much bloatwares and many other useless apps. Not to mention, SGN3 cost $200-$300 more than LG G Pro 2.

tl;dr - Simply said, if you need stylus get Galaxy Note 3, if not stick with LG G Pro 2.

Comparing LG G Pro 2 and LG G2 will be an easy task. The main difference is just the screen size –note that LG G Pro 2 has 3GB of RAM while LG G2 only has 2GB, although it does not make a noticeable difference.

tl;dr - Go with LG G2 if you prefer a smaller phone. Get LG G Pro 2 if you need the replaceable battery and bigger screen.

The Verdict

Design: 8/10
Hardware: 9/10
UI: 8/10
Battery: 9/10
Overall: 8.5/10

Things to be improved on:
Better finish and body – hopefully metal instead of plastic
Less memory hogging OS
Wireless Charging feature

Please do visit LG's website for more colourful pictures!

LG G Pro 2 is available at StarHub shops at $239 with SmartSurf Value 2 Years Contract. Check out this website for more information!

StarHub LG Promotion

MY NAME IS IN THERE!!! Smiley LOL

Android™ Expert
Yup! Just so happen that i was reading your message!