GreenR Community|The Community Run by You
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

how to set Dir-868L Wireless Repeater Extender mode

New Commentator

how to set Dir-868L Wireless Repeater Extender mode

I reset 868l.. then select wireless repeater... after 868l reboot,I cannot connect to 192.168.0.50,Any setting I had miss out?my firmware is (1.00 SHC).

14 REPLIES 14
Community Manager

Re: how to set Dir-868L Wireless Repeater Extender mode

Hi JA@JA

You may like to contact Dlink at their 24x7 Technical Support Hotline (65) 6622 9360 to assist you in troubleshooting the issues you are experiencing. Alternatively, you may email them at support@dlink.com.sg.
Trusted Contributor

Hi 

You had a interesting questions here.

Based on my understanding for DIR 686L , there is no way to set this model as a range extender/wirless repeater .

It would be good if you get other range extender from 3rd party such as TP Link 830 or other model.

All remark/posts are unofficial and may personal opinions which does not represent the positions and opinions of anyone directly or indirectly.
Trusted Contributor

Hi

For this case, it would be best to call the D-link Tech Support. 

I do understand there might be some chances whereby D-link 686L may have different firmware or setting if offer from Starhub and direct purchase from D-link as same model may have different advanced setting such as repeater model.

This is best to be confirmed by D-link instead.

All remark/posts are unofficial and may personal opinions which does not represent the positions and opinions of anyone directly or indirectly.
Home Networking Expert

@wizardpro wrote:

Hi 

You had a interesting questions here.

Based on my understanding for DIR 686L , there is no way to set this model as a range extender/wirless repeater .

It would be good if you get other range extender from 3rd party such as TP Link 830 or other model.

Starhub custom firmware 1.00SHC do have Wireless Repeater/Extender 'mode' for 868L

Home Networking Expert

@JA@JA wrote:

I reset 868l.. then select wireless repeater... after 868l reboot,I cannot connect to 192.168.0.50,Any setting I had miss out?my firmware is (1.00 SHC).

Changing such mode is always not easy, coz once you change to Wireless Bridge / Repeater mode, the modem itself is not connecting to anything to assign it with an IP, so you are kinda totally 'disconnected' from the router.

To configure the wireless connection to 'hook' to, you need to manually change your comp IP and connect to the router via a LAN cable and configure manual IP on your comp to access the router config page, which is in 192.168.0.50 (you can set your comp IP to 192.168.0.10, for example)

Once the config is done, you can disconnect from the router and set back to auto IP on your comp

Trusted Contributor

Oh yeah , I had make a mistake for this firmware it does comes with the 4 different model such as

1. Wireless Router
  2. Wireless Bridge
  3. WIrless AP
  4. WIreless Extender

Note:  Should you have configure wirless extender the default IP address as extender would be at 192.168.0.50 so far it seemed no way to change this IP address and unable to see the router interface as extender .

g_
Senior Contributor

Hi,

It seemed that some had successfully config 868L as a repeater.

http://community.starhub.com/t5/Tech-News-Reviews/DIR-868L/ba-p/68807

http://community.starhub.com/t5/Tech-News-Reviews/A-Layman-s-Trial-on-D-Link-DIR-868L/ba-p/71905

Grateful if the more tech savvy can share on how to config 868L to operate in repeated mode.

Much thanks!

Esteemed Advocate

192.168.0.50 is valid only before the 868 is configured.

Once you have configured your 868, you should be looking out at your base router (usually 192.168.0.1) for your 868 (using the MAC number) because your base router has assigned a new IP address to your 868 (as 192.168.0.xx). You can access your 868 with this new IP address (not the 192.168.0.50 any more).

If you need to re-configure your 868, hard reset it and you will be back to 192.168.0.50!

Hope this helps!!
g_
Senior Contributor

Much thanks, elyap.

Will try it out.