Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

advice needed

SOLVED
Highlighted
Esteemed Commentator

advice needed

Recently sign up for the 1gbps fiber, not sure what speed is consider acceptable so seeking advice for it. 

Early 2011 MBP connect thru ONT get speed between 500+ to 600+mbps..the same speed applies when connect thru D-Link router 868L..wireless speed is between 100+ to 200+ mbps.. As when connected thru tablet(old iPad 2) and mobile phone(note 2),the speed is between 30+ to 40+mbps. So it is consider acceptable speed? Advice needed. Thanks in advance!!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Respected Advocate
Solution

Re: advice needed

@TSL18, This is the best thing I've heard so far in this forum today. A marvelous Thank you~! You made my day and if this helps you, could you tick this thread as solved? 

Let me know if you need any further assistance! Cheers.

“Dogs are wise. They crawl away into a quiet corner and lick their wounds and do not rejoin the world until they are whole once more.”
—Agatha Christie

View solution in original post

12 REPLIES 12
Highlighted
Respected Advocate

The wifi card in an iPad 2 has 802.11n capabilities and is reported here in the ASC to connect at both the 2.4 GHz or the the 5 GHz bandwidths. So which band width does your router support and if both, which one is your iPad 2 connecting with? 2.4 GHz is a more narrow and congested spectrum, but it penetrates farther. 5 GHz is much wider, less congested but weaker at penetrating through structural obstacles.

802.11n can support up to 4 antennas, the iPad 2 has only 1, and reportedly not a great one. Bluetooth also operates in the 2.4 GHz spectrum, so do you have it turned on or off? If you are using the 2.4 GHz spectrum, how many other devices are also using it at the same time as your iPad 2?

There are other factors to take into consideration. Just food for thought as you are testing.

“Dogs are wise. They crawl away into a quiet corner and lick their wounds and do not rejoin the world until they are whole once more.”
—Agatha Christie
Highlighted
Esteemed Commentator

@SuperDog: iPad 2 and mobile phone connection speed achieved on the 2.4GHz was around 30+mbps and 5GHz was 40+mbps and usually one device was connected thru wifi as my laptop was connected thru wired.. yes bluetooth was turn off. Does hardware play a part in the connection speed as my tablet,mobile phone and laptop was kind of old?

Highlighted
Respected Advocate

Yep the hardware plays an important role on these. Not only on the equipment thats broadcasting the service but also the device that is receiving as well. It goes both way.

—Agatha Christie
Highlighted
Esteemed Commentator

@SuperDog: So I assume my connection speed for my laptop is unable to hit higher than 600+mbps or is there any configuration setting for my router to achieve higher speed??
Highlighted
Respected Advocate

Speed depends on alot of factors, one of such is the destination of your connection, One thing for sure is that connection to an local server would be better than connecting to an server placed in other countries. which we usually labelled it as local or international speed. For international speed, achieving an average of about 500+ - 600 Mbps and local speed about 600 - 1000Mbps should be in the acceptable zone. 

Like what I mentioned earlier, it goes both ways, your equipment both receiving and broadcasting must be able to handle the speed so that you can enjoy the most out of it.

—Agatha Christie
Highlighted
Esteemed Commentator

@SuperDog: Thought of calling 1633 to send someone down to assist but after all the info you had share..Guess I just have to accept the fact..unless I buy new device to achieve better connection speed..@SuperDog you have been a great help..Thanks alot!!
Highlighted
Respected Advocate
Solution

@TSL18, This is the best thing I've heard so far in this forum today. A marvelous Thank you~! You made my day and if this helps you, could you tick this thread as solved? 

Let me know if you need any further assistance! Cheers.

—Agatha Christie

View solution in original post

Highlighted
Alumni (Retired)

Thank you @SuperDog for helping a fellow member on StarHub Community.

As always, appreciate your contribution Smiley Happy

Some of my posts are unofficial and may contain personal opinions which may not represent the positions and opinions of StarHub.

If my post answers your question, please click on the "Accept as Solution" button!

Highlighted
Respected Advocate

@Santosh Rai, Bro, don't suddenly so emotional leh. Will have goosebump one~ hahah. I'm glad that someone is helped because of me. 

Anyway I shall not hijack this thread. See you guys around @Santosh Rai @TSL18

—Agatha Christie