Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

WiFi (Wi-fi) calling is not working on Linksys EA8100-AH (AC2600) Router

Highlighted
Senior Commentator

WiFi (Wi-fi) calling is not working on Linksys EA8100-AH (AC2600) Router

Hi all,

I am wondering if anyone has come across such an issue on the same Router/gateway that i am running.

Since i switched to Starhub on this Router/gateway in mar 2019, the Wi-fi calling has not been working.

I have performed factory reset and power restart on the router/ONT several times.

I know for a fact that it is not an issue with the iphone (Iphone 7) as i have wifi calling working with the same phone in other Wifi networks in Singapore.

In addition, i have 2 x other iPhone at home that is having an issue.

Tried to do port forwarding to allow the VPN tunnel to establish but to no avail.

UDP 500

UDP 4500

So it is either: Linksys router issue or Starhub Home ISP issue with establishing the VPN tunnel required for Wifi calling to work.

Mobile Phone is with Singtel but i have confirmed with Singtel rep that wifi calling is available for all Wifi based out in Singapore.

4 REPLIES 4
Administrator

Re: WiFi (Wi-fi) calling is not working on Linksys EA8100-AH (AC2600) Router

Hi @Gochu 

I'd suggest to check your IKEv2/IPSec settings to make sure that they are allowed through 

Maybe you can try to reset your router settings in case something got enabled by mistake.

Linksys might be able help. 

You can call them at 67016971 

Some of my posts are unofficial and may contain personal opinions which may not represent the positions and opinions of StarHub Smiley Happy

Senior Commentator

Hi Sir,

Thank you for the reply.

From the logs of the router, i can see that isakmp traffic is passing outbound to destination.

I suspect that somehow in Starhub internal network, it is dropping these isakmp traffic, hence it cannot complete the ipsec tunnel negotation with the destination in Singtel network.

I have the destination tunnel ip, would providing that allow Starhub to confirm if there is any block on their end?

Yesterday, starhub field engineer attended to me onsite and confirmed that it is not an issue with the router. Tried a different linksys router and same behavior.

We did confirm that if the celluar was starhub, then the wifi calling works.

Referencing to singtel's wifi calling terms and condition - they confirmed that all wifi based in Singapore should work. Which is why i suspect it is starhub network that is blocking these isakmp udp traffic for tunnel to be established.

https://www.singtel.com/personal/i/faq/wifi-calling

8728A8AD-01E6-473E-B91E-C71E52B4370A.jpeg

Senior Commentator

It has been 14 days now since i have posted this.
I cant believe that this is still not resolved yet.

Poor service.
Bad decision for me to move from Singtel fibre to Starhub Fibre.
Administrator

Hi @Gochu 

I've been in contact with our engineer to come up with this response

Some notes:

• Technically WiFi Calling (VoWiFi)  is similar to VoLTE where instead of using LTE to send the packets, it’s using WiFi.
  • A good read on how VoWiFi works https://www.networkcomputing.com/networking/your-network-optimized-wifi-calling
  • The phone will create an IPSec tunnel to the carrier’s (Singtel) network when VoWiFi is used.
  • User need not perform any port forwarding at his home router because traffic is outbound to the carrier’s (Singtel) IPsec Gateway

Our engineer did the following test to show that StarHub did not block the ports/protocol:

1. He did a UDP 500 and 4500 port scan + traceroute from his StarHub Fibre Broadband connection to an IPsec server that he created to simulate the destination Singtel server. 
  2. This IPsec server runs on Singnet Broadband as this is the closest simulation we can do without knowing the actual destination IP for the tunnel.
  3. Result shows that port 500 and 4500 are open and traceroute via UDP500 is successful. This proves that UDP500 and 4500 are not blocked by StarHub.

If you do know the destination server IP for Singtel's VoWIFI, please let us know and we'll be more than happy to test it out. You may also want to provide your WAN IP to Singtel to confirm that there is no unintentional blocking on their end.

vowifi test.png

Some of my posts are unofficial and may contain personal opinions which may not represent the positions and opinions of StarHub Smiley Happy