cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Weak Wifi Signal - How to improve it?

Senior Commentator

Weak Wifi Signal - How to improve it?

Dear All,

I have recently subscribed to the HomeHub 1000 (Fibre) Plan. 

I am living in a condo and there are existing data points. During the installation of the Terminal Point (TP), I have requested the technician to check if they could install it in the storeroom, where the distribution points are. However, the technician said it's different for Fibre point. As such, they installed the TP at a corner of the living room. I was concerned that the this will affect wifi coverage for my study room, which is at the other corner of the house. Starhub came and installed the router and ONT, I tried to test the wifi coverage for the study room, and true enough there is no wifi coverage!

I have called Starhub and they advise me to change the router (Wireless AC Dual-band Router DIR-868L) to a high frequency router (they recommened Asus). 

I am hoping to seek opinion/advise here if that will help with the the wifi coverage? Are there other ways to help extend the wifi coverage? 

I have also asked Starhub if I can use another router (I have an addition Linksys router) to extend the wifi coverage, and they said it's not advisable.

Please help. Thanks in advance. 

7 REPLIES 7
Senior Advisor

Re: Weak Wifi Signal - How to improve it?

http://www.pcadvisor.co.uk/how-to/network-wifi/how-improve-wi-fi-in-home-wi-fi-extenders-vs-powerlin...

You you can read above...

1. Get a better wireless router

2. Use Powerline

3. Use wifi extender

I'm not very techie myself... So don't know what's the best option for you.

I'm hoping to get a good wireless router to avoid the same problem, not sure if it will work though.

Grand Guru

Hi  @kchoo

Could you provide the layout so that others could understand & assist you better.

Suggestion that the router should be placed as high as possible.

There should not have anything that block the wireless transmit.

------------------------------------------------

I am not Starhub staff &or related to.

Senior Commentator

Hi,

Here is the floorplan of my unit.

X - marks where is my existing TP / ONT / Router. I have placed the router on a side table.

Bedroom 3 is where there's no Wifi signal.

Home

Honored Contributor

I guess the ONT and router are next to the TP? Is there a data link from bedroom 3 to the router? If so, you can simply put the linksys in bedroom 3 and connect it to the supplied router as a wifi access point. Just put it under your pillow when the wife isn't looking.

If there isn't a data link, your next best option is a powerline link, or you could try another router. I'm not sure what Starhub means by high frequency router but the range of the 2.4GHz wifi is better than the 5GHz network.
Grand Guru

@kchoo wrote:

Dear All,

I have recently subscribed to the HomeHub 1000 (Fibre) Plan. 

I am living in a condo and there are existing data points. During the installation of the Terminal Point (TP), I have requested the technician to check if they could install it in the storeroom, where the distribution points are. However, the technician said it's different for Fibre point. As such, they installed the TP at a corner of the living room. I was concerned that the this will affect wifi coverage for my study room, which is at the other corner of the house. Starhub came and installed the router and ONT, I tried to test the wifi coverage for the study room, and true enough there is no wifi coverage!

It look like the staff doing the installation for you is a bit too lazy.

The location to install the TP should be customer choice.

When they, NetLink Trust (orignal is OpenNet), it was me who decide the location.

I was present when they did at my previous and current flats.

The staff did asked me for which location i want, on both staff, as the 1st is OpenNet, 2nd NetLink Trust.

The only criteria is that the power supply socket must be nearby.

Phb
Honored Contributor

HI kchoo,

Would you consider trying to position your router at the corned of room 2 & living room? Its probably the most centered position in your unit.

Of course, cabling would run across the planters box and along the wall, but by the looks of it, I would bet you will have some furniture to cover it up to become somewhat less unsightly.

Atlternatively, just get a lan cable and try reposition your router and see if you can get a better reception. That is what I would do in your case.

I have the 868L as well, and it does quite well, in all honest truth in covering my unit.

Honored Commentator

Moving the router closer to the centre of your living room near the dining table MIGHT allow Bedroom 3 to receive the 2.4Ghz signal; with Bedroom 3's door open 5Ghz might still be non-existent or if present, weak; the latter if existent may be cut off with Bedroom 3's door closed. 

Based on the few responses, it is hopefully apparent there is no formula to magically make a weak signal improve - I find it best to approach it from the understanding that the signal is absorbed/blocked by obstacles resulting in a weak signal to no reception at the receiving point.  

Assuming that the router (for whatever reason) cannot be moved, and you are still keen to try and repurpose your existing Linksys router as indicated, you can try the following set up with blue arrows (==>) referring to use of LAN cables:

Router ==> Living Room Datapoint ==== Bedroom 3 Datapoint ===> Linksys Router with mode changed to access point (LAN cable into LAN Port of repurposed router, not the WAN Port)

The above assumes the following:

1. Datapoint available at router's location and in Bedroom 3

2. Linksys router (i) can change its mode from wireless router to access point, and (ii) access point mode works with non-linksys router. From what I've read Linksys routers should be OK for point (ii). Go and update its firmware and have a look the FAQs available (http://www.linksys.com/sg/support/).

The above set-up will result in the repurposed Linksys Router broadcasting a new wifi network - you can try giving it the same name and password as the wifi network created by the D-Link router and see if the receiving device can switch seamlessly; if devicve doesn't switch over when moving from living room to Bedroom 3, then I suggest giving the network created by the Linksys router a different name and just treating it as a second network (which it technically is).

The terms wireless bridge and wireless access point have been used interchangeablely by different brands and people to mean the same thing and different things so do take note. 

ALTERNATIVELY, if your Linksys Router (after updating its firmware) is able to change its mode to wireless repeater mode (i.e. it connects wirelessly to wifi network created by D-Link router and then re-broadcasts) and it can be placed in the walkway connecting to Bedroom 3, then give this a shot - just be prepared that using wireless repeaters/extenders (again terms are used very interchangeably) might result in a speed lower than what the first proposed set-up provides. It's a trade-off for not having to deal with wires. 

Best of luck! I didn't go into full details of settings required, but just remember for troubleshooting purposes in whatever set-up done to expand your existing network, there should be only ONE DHCP SERVER to give out an IP Address.

NB: I'm a case where without knowledge in early days just had the TP installed in bedroom on 2nd floor at back of house near the Singtel point where fibre came in and I use a D-Link DIR865L router with 2 repeaters (one to repeat the 2.4Ghz signal for 1st floor and the other 5Ghz signal on 2nd floor). I only have a HomeHub on MaxInfinity 200Mbps plan but it's still survivable since I have no gamers at home and use Starhub's cable point for TV.