cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Very low speed on 1GBPS Fibre Broadband Connection

Highlighted
Valued Commentator

Very low speed on 1GBPS Fibre Broadband Connection

I have very low speed on my 1GPBS Fibre broadband connection subscription. I am getting a very low speed of 50-60 MBS and that's really bad.  I spoke to StarHub customer care they cite modem issues and ask me to talk to the modem provider. I purchased the modem from Starhub not directly from the modem supplier. As my internet provider, starhub has to take care of the connection end to end not expect me to contact someone else. I am paying StarHub for the connection, not the modem provider and even bought the modem from them. They have to take care of end to end service, not blame someone else and wash their hands off the case. 

5 REPLIES 5
Highlighted
Grand Guru

Re: Very low speed on 1GBPS Fibre Broadband Connection

In order to check on Starhub connection speed issue.

You need to connect directly from the computer to the ONT (modem, Huawei) Port-1 via LAN cable.

Ensure you have at least a Cat5E and above for 1Gbps. (name along the cable itself)

Do do the speed test; >>   Starhub Local Speedtest

In most case, speedtest of above 600 Mbps is acceptable for using 1Gbps.

Do note that wireless speed depend on the device itself on whether it is dual band enable type.

Also most wireless devices do have a limit.

Your speed could be due to connect via wireless on 2.4GHz band.

-----------------------

I am not Starhub staff &or related to.

Highlighted
Valued Commentator

It does not help. I checked the speed using LAN its still between 110-180 MBPS. Also, changed the wireless settings etc but still both the LAN and wireless (5GHZ) have poor speed. Some other inherent problem might not have to do with router. 

Highlighted
New Commentator

hi, i can see that you're getting 50-60 mbps,i think your LAN port is Ethernet port not a GIga port thats why you get that speed. u need to check ur LAN port in the PC. It must be a giga port so that the speedtest can go more than 500mbps. i also strongly agreed with eric3743 that you need to connect atleast Cat5E or Cat6 from the ont to ur PC to do ur speedtest. good luck
Highlighted
Grand Guru

@Hema

Options: Below are some of the addition options you can check on.

Then suggest you to reset the router, mainly located either behind or under the router.

The router is turn on, use a pin to press+hold the reset hole for 15 seconds.

Then release and switch off the router.

Need to wait for the router to shutdown completely, at least 10 minutes or more.

Finally turn on the router.

There are also due to router firmware.

For DLink DIR-868L, hardware version A1 & firmware version 1.065SH

Using the Lan cable connect to the router and input this on the browser

>>   192.168.0.1   press Enter key.

Firmware indicated on the top right of the login page.

Should you want to use another firmware, do note that it should end with " SH " design for Starhub.

For your info.

For Device on whether it is free or not, it should visit the Manufacturer Service center.

Should there is problem on the device, router, they could exchange for you on the spot check.

You need to bring along the Starhub Work Order, in pink with "customer copy" indicated, which should be given to you at the point of installation, for any warranty issue.

Starhub concern is the connection up to the ONT, hence if your speed directly from computer to ONT is above 600Mbps for 1Gbps plan.

If your connection speed is this low using Starhub speedtest, suggest you to screenshot and submit to Starhub technical dept.

Submit via this forum staff by PM (private message) with the attachment.

This speedtest must be wired connection in order for them to assist you further.

Please submit and provide with the following information;

Registered subscriber Name, NRIC/FIN number, contact, email.

PM @Jolene_L  or  @Amy_Law  to assist and look into your case on this matter

How to send a PM (Private Message) on StarHub Community?

-----------------------------------

I am not Starhub staff &or related to.

Highlighted
Alumni (Retired)

Hi @Hema, you can drop me a PM along with the subscriber's name, NRIC/FIN, E-mail address and contact number. We'll be in touch. - Sofia

Sofia