cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

VERY SLOW CONNECTION of 1Gbps Fibre Broadband

Senior Commentator

Re: VERY SLOW CONNECTION of 1Gbps Fibre Broadband

Hi Phb

The Dlink 868L can provide transfer rates of up to 1300mbps on ac. I also use Samsung S5 and wifi speed is 100+ like yours. I'm a IT noob actually. Any idea why this is only a fraction of 1300? 

@Phb wrote:

To individuals who are having problems with slow speeds, frustrations etc... I will say that I understand your frustrations. Do try to look beyond your current sentiments and work to get your issues understood/resolved.

The steps to diagnose and identify which part of the link is having problems, have been posted many many times in this thread as well as other threads. I can only encourage you to try to understand, seek help, and hopefully learn.

My pictures below are from my hse, the point to make is this:

a. There WILL BE A MARKED difference between LAN cable and wifi. Always.

And it is for this reason why Starhub, in their greatest ability, not my personal best preferred, always asks to check the speeds at ONT, then Router, then Wifi.

2016 12 04 1735hrs ONT  HP LanCable SHub.jpgONT Box - Cable2016 12 04 1738hrs LanCable SHub.jpgRouter - LAN Cable2016 10 22 15012hrs HP Wifi.jpgWifi - Samsung S5 

Grand Guru

Hi  @Lausy

There is theory and in practical is not the same.

For 1Gbps, the acceptable speed is about 60% of the theory.

If you look at my previous post, the wireless between both same router 868L it show around 866Mbps as internal like home network, refer to picture.

Then what happened to those missing 400Mbps.

But using devices; such as; handset, laptop, tablet, etc.

There is a limit pre-set by the manufacturer.

The faster it go, the more expensive component is required.

In the end the consumer have to pay a high price, which is not feasible.

There is a handset which is at 450Mbps, but LTE-A is up to 300Mbps.

So in other word, if you buy an expensive handset, it is no use as there is no LTE-A above 300Mbps, other than broadband wifi, not mobile data.

For Samsung S5, the speed is up to 200Mbps, but the spec is 50/150 Mbps.

I had 2 Samsung S5 and the speed for both were the same.

But at one incident, S5 manage to have 250Mbps which was the best, new router i supposed.

So, your S5 speed is still within acceptable range.

As my laptop the wireless adapter is 300Mbps max, as 200Mbps is acceptable to me.

Wifi testing is beyong Starhub, as Ookla is re-direct to the fastest server.

My only advice to you is not to turn on wireless in every devices that have wireless.

If not, it will pull away some resourse of speed to distribute to other devices.

Once the handset is turn on, it do send out to check if, say, apps that have new update, on every few minutes or so.

The same apply to computer USB port.

The OS will regularly send and detect if there is device inset to the USB port.

This is where the method use is almost similar, in a way.

This is where the resouce is use and more handsets wireless are turn on.

When i required wireless is for handset to update apps &or using whatapp.

This is what i learn along the way and some research to understand, with some help from this forum users expert in networking.

Thanks for reading.

Eric.

Phb
Honored Contributor

Hi Lausy,

Eric has given you the explanations, and I do agree with most if not all of them. It gives you the reasons why, whats going on. Once again, I am not Starhub staff/employees, just sharing what we know and have gone thru. I will think Eric is the same as well.

Best place I could find in 2 minutes was this link. Try taking a look.

https://www.cnet.com/how-to/your-router-isnt-as-fast-as-you-think-it-is-heres-why/

That said, I will tell you that my best speeds for the my S5 from the home 868L is just below 400Mbps, both up and down, using Ookla speedtest, with STARHUB server FIXED as the test server.

(You can set which ever server you want, but it is important you select one and STICK to it, so that you can have a base line of comparison.)

Before we even start to fix the wifi, you need to be 100% sure that your ONT, Router is giving you the advertized speed from Starhub. The only way I know is via a LAN cable on a PC.

(SO, please make sure this is correct. 1000Mbps, 500Mbps, 300Mbps, which ever your susbscribed to) DO not go further below, if you HAVE NOT confirmed this.

That said, you can try the following sites for info on how to FIX the S5. The info I posted below is my version of solving my problem, which you have the same equipment. There are ALOT of other sites, do run your own searchs and get your own feel.

https://recomhub.com/blog/how-to-fix-samsung-galaxy-s5-slow-wifi-problem/

That said, I can tell you I do from time to time get 100Mbps speeds, or just slightly below, 95Mbps or there about. Like when I come back from travelling overseas (my router and S5 have been seperated for too long) Stupid I know, but I dont quite know how to explain it. Smiley Happy

So what I do is the following;

a. Switch off phone

b. Wipe Cache Partition

c. Restart phone, while standing in the same room as the 868

d. Wait patiently until the S5 has confirmed, "connected to your router SSID".

e. Check link speed using,

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.pzolee.wifiinfo&hl=en

Ensure LINK SPEED is close to 866 when using 5Ghz. If it says 866, or 433, then I am pretty sure I am OK.

f. Run OOKLA Speed test... and I get results, which is normally OK.

Some additional notes, if I have a bad day and it does not want to connect well. Refering to the above sequence;

a1. Before switching off phone. Delete my SSID from S5 wifi memory.

a2. Switch off Wifi signal on S5.

etc etc etc

c1. Switch on S5 Wifi signal

C2. Re-enter SSID info for connection to 868.

Good day, 1/2 tries.... OK. Bad days, not so often now... like 20 times... go to sleep... wake up and try again.... So be patient.

I should also mention, my S5 is the latest version of android, 868L using 1.06 Firmware.

That said, again, I tell you, to be patient. My wifes Note 3, was even more strange. And I had to do additional things like

a. DHCP reservation on the 868L.

b. Static address allocation on the Note 3

c. And it has more frequent speed problems than my S5.

Hope this helps, GOOD LUCK. Let me know if you need more help.

Highlighted
Phb
Honored Contributor

Hi Eric,

Merry Christmas. Thanks for the replies. Following up on our conversation;

1. Yes, as both routers DLink DIR-868L are having the same SSID and password.

Handover will depend on which router give stronger signal. This is so that the connection will not drop &or loss.

Would you know if SKYPE works without dropping connections when it switches.

2.  Understand now. 866 was the LINK SPEED. I now understand your findings.

Lately i was having drop connection, but it is not connection break, as the ONT did not have red light on the "LOC" status.

I have not had this problem occur yet for me. My ONT is just coming to 2 years old. If you do find out more, do share. Interesting problem.

Grand Guru

Hi  @Phb

Merry Christmas!

1. Yes, as both routers DLink DIR-868L are having the same SSID and password.

Handover will depend on which router give stronger signal. This is so that the connection will not drop &or loss.

Would you know if SKYPE works without dropping connections when it switches.

You may take some time to digest my explanation, not sure, do ask.

This would depend how SKYPE work, as i can give you one simple example.

During the trial i did try on Wifi Speedtest on autoroaming.

Speedtest will failed if the original router wireless is loss.

Speedtest depend on that particular router wireless connection.

All speedtest will provide the actual out IP Starhub and internal IP, as each devices may have its own IP, not related to router. IP means same.

Speedtest is a continuous flow in the packet, as if it loss the connection it break.

Meaning that the handset loss that connection to that router which start the test.

If SKYPE do have an internal IP it may drop if it rely on continuous packet.

But if it not like speedtest, it will work, based on mobile data, transfer from one signal to another.

I am not expert, but using logic in comparison.

Speedtest is using 1 direct link to repeater and will drop if the main router took over or stronger signal.

Sorry, i did not or rather never use SKYPE at all.

2.  Understand now. 866 was the LINK SPEED. I now understand your findings.

As internal between both routers.

Reading taken next to the wireless repeater router, to ensure accurate reading.

-----

Lately i was having drop connection, but it is not connection break, as the ONT did not have red light on the "LOC" status.

I have not had this problem occur yet for me. My ONT is just coming to 2 years old. If you do find out more, do share. Interesting problem.

I have been hopping from one IP to another.

There is something that i found out, yesterday while trying out an experiment.

Both ONT & router is switch off.

Then start by switching on the ONT first, and wait and see Singtel mentioned 3 mins, to verify on this.

The power led is on and follow-up about 40+ sec, the PON led is on.

Ignoring the Tel port, just wait a while for Port-1, which had no green led.

Plug in the LAN Cable to Port-1, the led is then on.

The interesting part is this PON - Passive Optical Network, take few sec to on.

Just did a short reading, it is quite interesting, in a way.

Just google & wiki on this PON; 1 connect to Many.

Also taking note on what Singtel mentioned is to switch on the ONT first.

This could mean that the actual connection is not connected yet.

Singtel also mentioned as to purge the existing IP in order to get another IP.

In this way, it seem that Singtel did explain, where Starhub did not mentioned.

Hence by switch off both ONT & router, and then switch on both, immediately the IP may remain the same, as too short a time to purge.

This i could confirmed as i did test but still having the same IP.

It was only later after several hours, as i thought when i found this last year when my connection is bad. 

I notice this change of IP as i will do Starhub Local speedtest to check both speed & IP.

This is just interesting.

Anyway, i will be getting a another ONT as i am moving to my new flat.

But still staying at the existing flat, benefit due to HDB en-bloc where the owner is allow to have up to 4 months for renovation.

New sign-up but using old address to upgrade to HomeHub 1000 with big discount thru mailer.

As for this type of special promotion, it managed to see in the Starhub website as at that time, there are 2 different promotion, for selected customers.

--------------------- 

As refer to your earlier post.  (For info)

My S5 on speedtest is using DIR-865L, an earlier model, so the speed is acceptable for me at that time.

With DIR-868L both Samsung S6 & Note Edge is similar to yours, below 400Mbps.

Thanks for reading.

Eric.