cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Using a VPN router from StrongVPN with or without D-Link RG DVG-N5402SP

Senior Contributor

Using a VPN router from StrongVPN with or without D-Link RG DVG-N5402SP

Dear All,

i  am hoping to sign up to a VPN service like StrongVPN.

I read that you need a specific VPN router, like one in this link, for the VPN service to work, or else - will not work if just subscribe to the VPN service.

http://www.sabaitechnology.com/StrongVPN-Routers-s/22.htm

My query is :

Using a VPN router from StrongVPN with or without D-Link RG DVG-N5402SP ??

ie.

Option 1.

ask for open ONT from Starhub first,  and plug the VPN router, eg. ASUS RT-N66 - DIRECT to the ONT ??

Option 2.

Connect via the D-Link RG DVG-N5402SP ? - 

- will it make the connection slower ?

Apologies in advance - Noobie question - search all the threads - no one addressed this specifically.

Thanks in advance.

VB

3 REPLIES 3
Windows™ Phone Expert

Re: Using a VPN router from StrongVPN with or without D-Link RG DVG-N5402SP

All the VPNs I've used before never required me to get a "VPN Router". You can establish a VPN connection using software such as OpenVPN.

Unless of course, you're trying to make every single connection in the house pass through the VPN permanently.
-----
Windows Phone / 8 Developer | Technical Evangelist | Content Writer at Spiffy.sg | @ReignOfComputer
Highlighted
New Commentator

Hi voxboy,

I know I am a little late to the party here, but I am looking to do something similar in my home...

I currently subscribe to Starhub Fibre Optic broadband and use the modem and D-Link RG DVG-N5402SP router.

I also subscribe to a VPN.

What I would like to do is (ideally) have TWO wireless connections in my home: #1 would be the standard Starhub service while #2 would be a permanent VPN connection.  This would mean that my Apple TV could be permanently connected to the VPN connection and stream US content like Netflix, etc.  I believe this is possible by adding a VPN router as a second device to my Starhub connection.

However, I am not very experienced with this and I am having a very difficult time understanding exactly *how* to do this.  I called Starhub but the techinician didn't really seem to understand my questions/objective.

Is it possible to simply purchase a VPN router and connect it to my Starhub fibre optic modem -- basically "bridging" it?  Or do I need to add another data point in my home in order to achieve this type of configuration?

Any insight or assistance is appreciated.

Thank you very much.

Scott

Valued Commentator

yeah I am also agreed with region of computer that you don't need any vpn router like I am just using FastestVPN app on my computer and it also connected to my router and I don't need any other thing