StarHub Community|The Community Run by You
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Upgrade from cable to fibre, coupled with issues

Trusted Commentator

Upgrade from cable to fibre, coupled with issues

There were many issues from upgrading cable to fibre, note I've not called up the Starhub service for checks yet.

Please advise on current issue :

I've not touch the hardware provided by the Starhub which are the EchoLife HG863 and DVN-N5402SP, except for the router which I have changed the password.

I've noticed that the wireless performance is about 20-30mbps download from the DVN-N5402SP. I did some research and found that wireless fibre is pretty much still not that feasible thus I went for the wired alternative.

After much trouble, I brought about five metre long of wire ( way too much ) but the issue was not with the ping and bandwidth this time. The download was at ~150mbps and upload at ~20-60mbps while ping was ~9-20.

*At this point, the fibre works fine but I did not actually tried gaming on it, just casual surfing and occassional youtube. Additionally, I've connected DLink 655 with DVN-N5402SP as a bridge as I could not connect to DVN-N5402SP at all with both my phone, laptop and desktop ( with wireless capability )

After 2-3 weeks from installation, which is currently. The connection is extremely unstable, disconnecting ever so frequently ( wired and wireless ), connection with websites out of the country are also extremely slow, especially obvious with YouTube, where videos load slow or DO NOT EVEN LOAD! Webpages load painfully slow, with youtube taking 10 or 20second to connect with the screen being blank and sometimes disconnect halfway through. 

I've scanned my computer for virus and malware but to no end was the problem solved. I am not sure if this is a hardware or software or network issue thus, please advise. Many thanks for the help.

12 REPLIES 12
Hub Master

Re: Upgrade from cable to fibre, coupled with issues

Currently, you are on bridge mode?
========================================
Home is where the ♥ is
Home Networking Expert

Google is opening a datacenter in Singapore soon to serve Asia region. Hope soon youtube will be a 'Local Traffic'.

Trusted Commentator

I am not sure if it's bridge mode but

The personal router, DLink 655 is connected to DVN via LAN 1 on both ends, while DVN remains connected to the Fibre router/box thing. The wired connection was connected to LAN 2 or other avaliable LAN on either of the 2 routers and still have connection, tried slotting the wire into either but result was the same.

Well.. I have no idea how the router bridge thing works but I was deperate to get wireless going and tried the above method and it worked, without configuration.

Hub Master

You can try this. It should work.

1. Plug the D-Link router into port (1-4) of D-Link Home Gateway using a LAN connection.
2. Do a direct connection to D-Link Home Gateway with your PC/Laptop and enter (http://192.168.0.1) in your Internet Explorer.
3. Username : admin, Password : password (default).
4. Please Click on "SETUP" - > "Wireless Setup" - > "Wireless Basic" -> Uncheck on "Enable Wireless LAN Interface" -> "Apply".
5. Please Click on "ADVANCED" - > "Firewall and DMZ" - > "DMZ" -> Check on "Enable DMZ" to enable DMZ feature - > Select the WAN Port and input the IP Address of your D-Link router on "DMZ Host IP Address" -> Click on "Apply".
6. The process for Bridge Connection(DMZ) is completed.
========================================
Home is where the ♥ is
Trusted Commentator

I think i configured it wrongly now I can't even get my DLink 655 to work

also... youtube does not even load today, not even viral ones

Android™ Expert

Hi, you are suppose to plug LAN from the D-Link HG to the WAN of your own router.

Hello

my router gave me an horribly overdue april's fool when it's SSID did not show up for all my devices 

got it to work with my laptop at least now but thanks for help, guess thats what professionals are for..

Home Networking Expert

Hahaha... you are not alone... I'm having the exact same problem, though I'm still monitoring... unfortunately due to the erratic nature of these problem, I couldn't pinpoint if it's the website having problem or Starhub... or maybe it's my network equipment at home (but I'd be surprise that it is, else I sure strike lottery... use with Cable modem no problem so many years, suddenly problematic with fiber)

Trusted Commentator

and now I can't do my work on my laptop 

now the router DOES NOT even work, even after factory reset