Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Unable to use wireless router due to new starhub IPTV

SOLVED
Highlighted
Respected Commentator

Unable to use wireless router due to new starhub IPTV

IMG20180702155641.jpgSketch of my home wire connectionI just recontracted with Starhub and I received the new IPTV as part of my recontracted package. 

However, as the IPTV box need to be directly connected to the modem, which is located at my home front door, I have to make a choice between either keeping my internet or my IPTV box. 

Is there any IPTV box that can work with a wireless router that I can use? Most of the older homes have only one data point and I am surprised by the design of the Starhub IPTV that give rise to such an issue especially for older HDB homes.

3 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Accepted Solutions
Grand Guru
Solution

Re: Unable to use wireless router due to new starhub IPTV

Hi,

Starhub IPTV required direct connection to ONT Port-2, period.

It cannot be wired via router or on wireless.

As you are new subscriber you can opt for free cable trunking for IPTV use.

Else this is chargeable refer > Data Point (for Termination Point extension or set-top box)

For more info please write to forum staff to assist you.

Do PM (private message) forum staff Amy_Law to assist you on this matter.

Or to the forum staff that reply here, by clicking on the staff's post: Send a private message.

Click on this link; >> Send private message to Amy_Law

Or on this link to; >> Send private message to Starhub CS

Please submit and provide with the following information;

Message Subject:

Registered subscriber full Name, NRIC/FIN number, account (if any) and your contact & email.

Description:  And any other queries do include here &or this thread for reference.

How to send a PM (Private Message) on StarHub Community?

i am not starhub staff.

Community Manager
Solution

Hi alpha_knights

Can you provide me your full name, NRIC, contact number and email address via Private Message and we'll keep in touch?

Respected Contributor
Solution

Hi @alpha_knights

Some suggestions:

Wifi mesh routers: one wifi router at ONT (as you say this won't reach the rest of the house..) then peer mesh routers  at your living room/bedrooms etc. Examples are Google Wifi , Asus Wifi Routers with AIMesh(not all Asus wifi routers support AIMesh), Ubiquiti Amplifi.

@eric3743has pointed out that ONT Port 2 must link directly to STB and will "chope" your one and only data cable. Previously on this forum (you can search for it) it has been reported that two managed switches at each end will work: one at ONT  and one at living room.

IPTV and MaxInfinity share one cable but use separate VLANs. IPTV always uses VLAN 1091 Maxinfinity you can choose eg. VLAN 100

Managed switches are a must: e.g TPLink SG-108E (with VLAN support)

ONT 2/IPTV must be connected to switch port with tagged VLAN1091

ONT 1/WifiRouter(WAN) -> untagged VLAN 100

The ports at either end must be trunk ports carrying VLAN100 and VLAN1091.

IPTV is only 100Mbps so you still have 90% left for surfing.

8 REPLIES
Grand Guru
Solution

Hi,

Starhub IPTV required direct connection to ONT Port-2, period.

It cannot be wired via router or on wireless.

As you are new subscriber you can opt for free cable trunking for IPTV use.

Else this is chargeable refer > Data Point (for Termination Point extension or set-top box)

For more info please write to forum staff to assist you.

Do PM (private message) forum staff Amy_Law to assist you on this matter.

Or to the forum staff that reply here, by clicking on the staff's post: Send a private message.

Click on this link; >> Send private message to Amy_Law

Or on this link to; >> Send private message to Starhub CS

Please submit and provide with the following information;

Message Subject:

Registered subscriber full Name, NRIC/FIN number, account (if any) and your contact & email.

Description:  And any other queries do include here &or this thread for reference.

How to send a PM (Private Message) on StarHub Community?

i am not starhub staff.

Community Manager
Solution

Hi alpha_knights

Can you provide me your full name, NRIC, contact number and email address via Private Message and we'll keep in touch?

Respected Contributor
Solution

Hi @alpha_knights

Some suggestions:

Wifi mesh routers: one wifi router at ONT (as you say this won't reach the rest of the house..) then peer mesh routers  at your living room/bedrooms etc. Examples are Google Wifi , Asus Wifi Routers with AIMesh(not all Asus wifi routers support AIMesh), Ubiquiti Amplifi.

@eric3743has pointed out that ONT Port 2 must link directly to STB and will "chope" your one and only data cable. Previously on this forum (you can search for it) it has been reported that two managed switches at each end will work: one at ONT  and one at living room.

IPTV and MaxInfinity share one cable but use separate VLANs. IPTV always uses VLAN 1091 Maxinfinity you can choose eg. VLAN 100

Managed switches are a must: e.g TPLink SG-108E (with VLAN support)

ONT 2/IPTV must be connected to switch port with tagged VLAN1091

ONT 1/WifiRouter(WAN) -> untagged VLAN 100

The ports at either end must be trunk ports carrying VLAN100 and VLAN1091.

IPTV is only 100Mbps so you still have 90% left for surfing.

Community Manager

Good day beaversin

If restarting your modem/ONT and router does not help resolve the issue, can you provide me your full name, NRIC, contact number and email address via Private Message and we'll keep in touch?

Respected Commentator

Dear Eric3743,

Thank you for your information. I have removed my IPTV as it doesn't make sense for me to sacrifice my internet for IPTV. I will take a look at possibility of using wifi repeater to see if there is any possibility of resolving it myself. Thank you for your msg. Smiley Happy

Respected Commentator

Dear Beaversin,

Thank you for your information. I will take a look and see if I can do so for my home. Thank you once again. Smiley Happy

Grand Guru

Hi  alpha_knights,

Beside wifi repeater which may reduce the connection speed by half, there are other options.

As mentioned by @ beaversin on using managed switches to manage a single ethernet cable.

Please refer to this > Starhub IPTV in Switched network

Another method is via powerline > Starhub IPTV and LAN point

Do note that IPTV may required up to 100mbps but most HD format required up to 25mbps.

For your info.

Regards.

Respected Commentator

Thank you very much for your help!