Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Throughput speed for download and upload very slow

Highlighted
Trusted Contributor

Re: Throughput speed for download and upload very slow

@simonN wrote:
Hi DerrickKan

Our technical team has escalated your issue. They will contact you once there is further updates.

As until now, no technical team called me...

i done a test using laptop direct connector to ONT. 

The result doesn't look promising.... why the respond from the techincal team is so slow... please explain. 

If it is ONT issue, please do something about it.

Untitled.jpg

Highlighted
Trusted Contributor

I think the technical better come down to my house and check rather than communicate on the phone....

They need to investigate the cause at the scene than sitting behind to explain.... 

I appreciate if they can do somethings about it

Highlighted
Community Manager

Sure Derrick! They have contacted you earlier on and appointment has been scheduled this coming Sunday. They will be following up therafter.
Highlighted
Trusted Contributor

Today, the technician has came down to my house to verify the issue.

After checking using their Macbook, there was no issue for the ONT and backend side of starhub....

He can achieved over 800Mbps download and 700Mbps upload.

The issue has found...It was the laptop hardware (ethernet) of mine that couldn't achieve to 1Gbps.

When I tested it out using my desktop, I was satisfied with the result. Below was done by my desktop.

Untitled.jpg

My conclusion was that not all issues were due to router or ONT. We have to look into our hardware of the desktop or laptop.

According to the technician when we took up 100Mbps or 200Mbps plan, most of the laptop or desktop can perform the task. However for 500Mbps or 1Gbps, the network card played an important role. 

One side note was that, the sales executive should have a basic knowledge of these area. Please do not tell the consumer that we all can achieve the speed require (1Gbps). As a consumer like us, we were paying $$$ to get something that was under performance becuase of the hardware issue. I think this was a disasterous.

For instance, they should recommend 500Mbps or below to the consumer if the hardware (ethernet) they were having cannot be achieved to the optimal level (1 Gpbs). OR they should tell the consumer in very first hand of this issue before the contract was signed. 

Highlighted
Grand Guru

That is great!

When HomeHub 500 is promoted in Jan 2015, many queried about reaching that speed, include myself.

This Community staff replied that to check on the spec of ethernet adapter.

But when i did the test using wireless, it did go around 250Mbps++.

Then check on the ethernet adapter, my laptop indicated wireless 300Mbps and wired at 1Gbps.

Did a test on wired, it did breach the 500Mbps.

Then my 500Mbps plan is correct! And if i encountered speed issue, i need to check on my side.

Highlighted
Senior Commentator

Previously I could hit close to 900Mbps but recently I can't even get above 100Mbps on my 1Gbps fiber plan :/
Highlighted
Trusted Contributor

@Carey wrote:
Previously I could hit close to 900Mbps but recently I can't even get above 100Mbps on my 1Gbps fiber plan :/

Hi, can you elaborate more detail...

Highlighted
Trusted Contributor

@eric3743 wrote:

That is great!

When HomeHub 500 is promoted in Jan 2015, many queried about reaching that speed, include myself.

This Community staff replied that to check on the spec of ethernet adapter.

But when i did the test using wireless, it did go around 250Mbps++.

Then check on the ethernet adapter, my laptop indicated wireless 300Mbps and wired at 1Gbps.

Did a test on wired, it did breach the 500Mbps.

Then my 500Mbps plan is correct! And if i encountered speed issue, i need to check on my side.

Hi, I think back to back we have to check whether it is possible to obtain the speed required. 

Yes, you are right. 

I am just wonder why Mac book (old version 2008) can achieve higher speed (800Mbps and above) when direct connected to ONT while some laptop (new version)can't do that. Could it be due to low end ethernet card since most of laptop user using wifi for the connection

Highlighted
Senior Commentator

Nothing has changed on my end, just noticed that the speed has dropped when I did the speedtest - both via StarHub and speedtest.net

Also faced issues of intermittent disconnections while playing LOL etc
Highlighted
Trusted Contributor

Are you connecting your ONT --> router --> PC/laptop

If yes, you try ONT direct to PC/laptop to see whether such issue occur again.... 

Sometimes is router fault or ONT issue....