Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Throughput speed for download and upload very slow

Highlighted
Trusted Contributor

Throughput speed for download and upload very slow

I have just switch my 100Mbps to 1Gbps.

I connect my laptop direct to ONT and run for speed test. Despite 3 attempts, the download speed is only at average 350mbps and upload speed is 1mbps.

This is my case no: 1-91957727510

Anyway I am using router dlink 868l
19 REPLIES 19
Highlighted
Grand Guru

Re: Throughput speed for download and upload very slow

Did you switch OFF all devices.

Then Switch on one by one.

Firstly, ONT and wait for the lights to be stable, next router and light stable.

Connect the internet cable (at lease Cat 5e & above)

Finally on the laptop.

To do speed test at the same period is of not point.

Try to run speed test for various period, as there will be certain hours may be peak.

Do the restart, and still the same, post another post to see if anyone could assist you.

As for the router dlink 868, there is one forum where the main subject is on this model issue.

At the Community main page, search for D-Link DIR-868L

Link:     http://community.starhub.com/t5/Tech-News-Reviews/DIR-868L/bc-p/70763#M87   

For me, i never switch off all the device, as i can use mobile to surf anytime.

When the Starhub staff came to do installation & test, i request him to install & config on my laptop.

Knowing that their laptop are definitely properly setup & config, as he had to show me the speed.

I am using DIR-865 and so far, having no problems

When sales staff upgrade me from HomeHub 200 to HomeHub 500, he mentioned me to restart.

Highlighted
Trusted Contributor

Here is my steps:

1. Yesterday 9pm, I have switch off both the router and ONT. I wait for about 2 mins before turning them on.

2. Next I plug in the cat 5e cable from my laptop to ONT port 1 directly.

3. Given that my laptop can support up to 1Gbps (the displays shown), I try to use speed test with different server. Eg Telin, viewquest

4. The max it can push is at 350 to 360mpbs for download and upload is only 1.3mpbs

5. So I thought because of heavy traffic during peak time, I have done it again with same steps at 2am again. I got the same result.

6. As for wifi connection, I choose 5ghz connection and achieve only 35mbps.

So my question is my ONT modem is the first batch modem. The white color Huawei. Do they have limited transfer speed? When I useD 100mbps, I can achieve 90 to 97 mbps which is pretty good throughput. Since I upgrade to 1Gbps, I cannot achieve at least 60% (stated by starhub) I know 100% is impossible. But if cannot at least 60%, there must be somewhere went wrong...
Highlighted
Grand Guru

So you did restart all the device.

For my case, HomeHub 200 the speed is correct, from both Starhub staff and mine laptops.

Upgrade to HomeHub 500 my laptop near to 300Mbps as the laptop wireless max 300Mbps on 5GHz bedroom.

For wired,  laptop hit 500Mbps on 2.4GHz wired, so no issue as all my connection is thru router 865l

Try to use Starhub speed test, as most of my test are on Starhub, but mobile is using Ookla.

Mobile Samsung 5 could hit around 250Mbps on 5GHz, as S5 is LTE-Advance upto 300Mbps.

http://broadbandspeedtest.starhub.com/speedtestv3.1/  

http://broadbandspeedtestinternationalus.starhub.com/speedtestv3.1/    

Try to change it to 2.4GHz to test.

As my another laptop at this band hit 500Mbps wired, with no issue.

Maybe later, if someone could assist you better.

Highlighted
Trusted Contributor

In fact, I have also tried both starhub and oklaa speed test. Both of them give me the almost the same throughout. I hope some expert out here and help me to solve the issue...

Next when u mention that the wifi throughput can achieve 250mpbs, it is related to phone technology. Currentlying I am using note 2. How do I know my phone has the capability to attain such speed? So far the highest I cab achieve is only 40mpbs plus using note 2 for wifi connection.
Highlighted
Grand Guru

Yes phone technology

Note that not all  LTE can speed up to 300Mbps.

Only those with LTE-A  Advance is Cat 6 which double the normal LTE to 300Mbps.

S6 & Note5 are also LTE-A.

The band must be 5GHz (IPv6) for new models on higher price.

That is why many seller use LTE to mean far better, but not so instead better than H+ &or 3G.

This is as far i had read and playing with few mobile handset, including just LTE at 50/150Mbps.

Note 2 is not but if it include the 4G mean LTE at 50/150Mbps.

Check here'

http://www.gsmarena.com/samsung_galaxy_note_ii_n7100-4854.php   

at the Network, expand list all.

Compare with Samsung S6

Link   http://www.gsmarena.com/samsung_galaxy_s6_edge-7079.php    

at the Network, expand list all

Look at the speed

Highlighted
Trusted Contributor

Well I assume that my note 2 performs as normal condition.

As for my wired connection, I still cannot resolve the problem. It is quite frustrated when you pay that kind of price but couldn't get the quality of speed as stated by the ISP.

Case has to raised to the customer service but I do not know how long they will come back to me. Also when they come back to me, is there any solutions?
Highlighted
Trusted Contributor

Untitled.jpg

As I have mentioned, this was the speed I obtained using a direct connect to ONT. I am using 1Gbps but the results given were below par. 

I think I need the real 'techincal support' from Starhub to look into this matter. 

Today already day 3... Not even receiving  any call from their supporting teams.......

Can ANYONE help?

Highlighted
Community Manager

Hi DerrickKan

Our technical team has escalated your issue. They will contact you once there is further updates.
Highlighted
Grand Guru

@DerrickKan At least there is a respond.

Some using the same 1Gbps, could reach 900Mbps.

When they are at your place, they may use their laptop to test, beside a monitor device (?)

Then use your laptop to test, and see if there are any change in setting & config.