StarHub Community|The Community Run by You
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

StarHub, Review your Port Blocking Policy!

Highlighted
Honored Contributor

StarHub, Review your Port Blocking Policy!

Help us expedite this review by liking @Qwerty idea at Idea Exchange!

Dear StarHub,

You might have heard that M1 have recently lifted their Port Blocking Policy and started offering Static IP addresses to their customers at $2/month for a period of 12 months. This allows customers to access their NAS, IP Camera and many other services hosted in their home network worldwide through WAN.

Many other ISP have already been providing Port 80 and many other ports opened for non-corporate customers to manage at their freewill. Examples include M1 (as mentioned above), SingTel, MyRepublic, SuperInternet and ViewQwest.

Would StarHub be kind enough to lift the Port Blocking Policy in the near future? Let us know, StarHub. Or else, we, your loyal customers, might have second thoughts to recontract our MaxOnline/MaxInfinity services and migrate to other ISP who are able to open up ports for use.

Please comment if you think that StarHub should review their Port Blocking Policy to allow us to have the freedom in managing our ports!

Yours faithfully,

A StarHub Platinum Club Customer

78 REPLIES 78
Honored Contributor

Re: StarHub, Review your Port Blocking Policy!

youhsueh,

thank you for your kind input and feedback on behalf all Starhub loyal customers.

As a loyal starhub customer since 98, all i can say to you is Service and broadband/fiber product ain't as good as before. Perhaps you can do now is, LLST until contract finish and change to other telco. lolllllllllllll
Honored Contributor

Hi krusty,

Thanks for the input. I'm also an long term StarHub customer since their startup and is here to gather identical view from fellow subscribers to make StarHub aware that there's a demand for home hosting through NAS and other devices through Port 80, therefore requesting them to open up all blocked ports. You can call this some sort an friendly petition.

Through my example, M1, after receiving feedbacks from their customers, have also lifted the port blocks and allowed residential to host websites through Port 80. I personally think that StarHub by following them would greatly reduce the chance of customers migrating to other service providers due to the blocking of ports.

Certainly, if this post wasn't reached to the appropriate team, whereby the ports weren't lift by the time my contact comes to an end, I would happily without hesitation migrate to another service provider.

Once again, thank you for your input.

For fellow customers whom are experiencing the same pain as me, please voice out your agreement with me.

YS
Honored Contributor

Well mate, all I can say now is, kindly refer to the link below for alternatives.

[Howard: Removed solicitation which is against StarHub Community Guidelines]

According to the review, either ViewQuest and MyRepublic will be my favourite ISP although I haven't try any of them before. Worth considering!

Community Manager

Hi youhsueh

We are hearing you on this and have highlighted to the relevant department on your suggestion and feedback.
Honored Contributor

Hi simonN,

Thank you for sharing this info with the relevant department.

I shall wait for a update on this suggestion from the relevant department.

Meanwhile, fellow commuters, please feel free to comment this post if you want the port block to be lifted as soon as possible. This allows StarHub to be aware of the home hosting demand in order for them to expedite the review.

YS
Honored Advisor

port 80 on fibre is not block. i have tested setting up a website with the free dynamic dns dlink offers and it works.

Honored Contributor

Hi sglnx,

Please use www.canyouseeme.org to verify whether your Port 80 is blocked.

If you were to access Port 80 through LAN, it is probably the NAT
Reflection/Loopback which is redirecting your WAN IP to your LAN.

YS

Honored Advisor

@youhsueh wrote:
Hi sglnx,

Please use www.canyouseeme.org to verify whether your Port 80 is blocked.

If you were to access Port 80 through LAN, it is probably the NAT
Reflection/Loopback which is redirecting your WAN IP to your LAN.

YS

you're right. www.canyouseeme.org can't see port 80. my 3G phone can't access the web page.

when I change to a 8000+ unused port instead of 80 I can see the web page using 3G phone. anyway I just do it for testing, I don't have a need to host my own web server for the time being.

maybe you could try the unused port at the 4000 or 8000 range for your NAS etc.

if starhub were to continue this practice, I will be switching ISP when my contract ends.

Administrator

Guys, I have shared the feedback at my level as well

I know where you guys are coming from.

Thanks

Some of my posts are unofficial and may contain personal opinions which may not represent the positions and opinions of StarHub Smiley Happy