GreenR Community|The Community Run by You
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Slow speed for fibre internet and held hostage on alternatives

Valued Commentator

Slow speed for fibre internet and held hostage on alternatives

I had my 100mbps plan upgraded to a 1gb fibre and the whole process was a nightmare. 

Installation was done Monday last week. Internet was slow and the person who installed conveniently did not bother checking this before he left. Hence had to call to complain. StarHub promised to send someone two days after to look into it. 

Second technician comes, doesn’t really explain issue to my wife but says if internet is still slow and we are unsatisfied, call again and they will sort. Guess what still slow (below 100mbps). 

Third technician comes 3 days after. This time I requested a weekend so I can be there to supervise. Tells me it is a multiple IP issue, not something wrong my end. Flushes IP and tells me customer service will call me to help me do speed test (why can’t he just do it on the spot with me?). And Guess what still slow and below 100mbps. 

After threatening to disconnect, manager of technical services team (very polite guy to be fair) helps me runs the speedtest and some diagnostics and tells me that it’s the cable that runs through the wall that doesn’t support speeds greater than 100mbps (in a relatively new

condo!!!). Gives me two options - get a private contractor to install a new line or get starhub to install something that doesn’t run inside the walls for a fee. Despite all this, I am still skeptical of real issue as when third technician “flushed” my IP to get rid of multiple IP supposedly I experienced considerable speed increase even if only for a few hours. 

So now here here I am stuck with an extremely low internet speed (below 100mbps) after upgrading to 1gb and left with no alternative but to pay extra again. I don’t even have the option to unsubscribe or downgrade as they wouldn’t let me. All this could have EASILY been avoided if the first technician (or any of the next few!!) just ran a speedtest and have seen that “hey this 1gbps shouldn’t be below 100mbps”. And lack of clarity here as each technician had a different take on what the problem was. 

Moral lesson - make sure you do not let technician leave unless they acknowledge the problem. And don’t accept the “if you are unhappy with speed call customer service and we will sort it out for you”. They will - but at your expense. 

This is is a case wherein the disclaimers come after. Beware. 

3 REPLIES 3
Alumni (Retired)

Re: Slow speed for fibre internet and held hostage on alternatives

Hi Ron_P

That's certainly not the way we want you to feel. Let me get this sorted out for you. Can you provide me with your full name, NRIC, contact number and email address via Private Message and we'll keep in touch?

Valued Commentator

(Edited for Privacy)

Ron Andrew Rosario Pangilinan
XXXXXXX
XXXXXXX
If you’re going to give me a ring, do call me Monday from 6 pm onwards as I am out of the country and I can further detail my horrible experience. Hoping you can give me better alternatives or at the very least a diagnosis of the problem which does not keep changing.

Happy to communicate via email as well as I have repeated my story to customer service many times.

Alumni (Retired)

Hi Ron_P

I've edited your reply to protect your personal particulars. Do provide me with your full name, NRIC/FIN number, contact number and email address via Private Message and we'll keep in touch.