cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Slow Wifi connection after new fibre installaton

Highlighted
New Commentator

Slow Wifi connection after new fibre installaton

I had Starhub MaxInfinity 1Gbps Fibre broadband installed in my house yesterday. I wasn't at home when the engineer came so my mother attended to him. Starhub gave us me the Dlink DIR-850L router. After trying out the Wifi connection, I have realized the speed is abnormally slow. I registered a local download speed of around 60mbps on http://broadbandspeedtest.starhub.com/speedtestv3.1/ when my laptop is placed directly beside the router. It is noticeably slower than my original 100Mbps Cable Broadband.20150829155037.jpg

Note that this is when the laptop is placed right beside the router. I can't even establish a stable wifi connection when I am in the bedroom, which is pretty near to the router which is placed in the living room. It disconnects regularly. When I connect my laptop directly to the Huawei Nucleus Connect ONT with a LAN cable, I can reach a local download speed of around 700-800mbps on the speed test. Is there any reason why I am getting such a poor wireless connection from the dlink router? and is there anything I can do to improve it? Any help is greatly appreciated.

1 REPLY 1
Highlighted
Grand Guru

Re: Slow Wifi connection after new fibre installaton

Give it some days for the connection to be stable.

Try to wired from router to laptop. And try to wired from ONT to laptop.

Router best position will on top (higher) with only the ONT beside. No obstruction as most other devices may interfer with the wireless band.

Restart your devices. Switch off all the devices.

1.  Switch on the ONT. Wait for all the lights to be stable.

2.  Switch on the Router. Wait for all the lights to be stable. Router should be placed high up & no obstruction.

3.  Connect using internet cable to the laptop. Internet is not like USB pnp.

4.  Finally, switch on the laptop and wait for the OS complete the startup process.