Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Relocation of ONT from ground level to 1st level

SOLVED
Highlighted
Senior Commentator

Relocation of ONT from ground level to 1st level

Hi, I’m currently on a dual broadband plan, cable and fibre. Fibre on the ground level and cable on the 1st level, for maximum coverage, it’s a landed property. In view that fibre broadband subscription is getting cheaper and the cable broadband service may not be available in the future, I am thinking of switching to just fibre broadband but at 1gbps. 

My concern is the signal coverage, I am thinking moving the ONT from ground level to 1st level, to where the existing cable router location. It means need to lay the fibre optic cable, on an open surface trunking, along the ceiling of staircase, with many sharp 90 degree bends.

is it a good plan? 

Regards

Everyone's Tags (1)
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Grand Guru
Solution

Re: Relocation of ONT from ground level to 1st level

@Tamarind wrote:

Thanks for the advice. My concern is the performance of the 2nd router acted as an access point. Will it perform the same as the cable broadband router or worst? Currently my plan is cable at 100mbps, fibre is 500mbps, I want to upgrade to 1gbps.

regards

If your current is 500mbps plan and access point router is wired to main router then will able to provide the 500mbps connection speed.

When you upgrade the speed to 1Gbps plan, it will also be on the same 1Gbps connection speed.

Meaning it will be on the same performance for both main and access point Routers.

Access point router act as extension of a lan port of the main router, via wired connection.

This is due to it is connected to main router lan port - data points - access point router.

Regards.

5 REPLIES
Grand Guru

Instead of moving ONT along with fibre optic cable trunking why not just ethernet cable trunking.

Ethernet cable is better than fibre optic cable due to fibre optic is sensitive cable.

Current ONT location still need a router for wireless coverage.

All you need is trunking based on ethernet cable and have a data point to connect an additional router as access point.

This is to replace the cable broadband at the existing location.

Starhub do have this ethernet trunking cost $107 per connection point A to B, may inclusive all items.

Not sure if you can request for free or not, but if you take up Starhub TV they might provide free.

Other contractor cost vary from $80+ depend on distance and whether inclusive on items as in ethernet cable and data points at both end.

i am not starhub staff.

Alumni (Retired)

Hi Tamarind

Do provide me with your full name, NRIC, contact number and email address and address by clicking on this link> via Private Message and we'll keep in touch.

Senior Commentator

Hi, why the need to provide the personal particulars?

cant you provide the advice directly on the community forum?

regards

Senior Commentator

Thanks for the advice. My concern is the performance of the 2nd router acted as an access point. Will it perform the same as the cable broadband router or worst? Currently my plan is cable at 100mbps, fibre is 500mbps, I want to upgrade to 1gbps.

regards

Grand Guru
Solution

@Tamarind wrote:

regards

If your current is 500mbps plan and access point router is wired to main router then will able to provide the 500mbps connection speed.

When you upgrade the speed to 1Gbps plan, it will also be on the same 1Gbps connection speed.

Meaning it will be on the same performance for both main and access point Routers.

Access point router act as extension of a lan port of the main router, via wired connection.

This is due to it is connected to main router lan port - data points - access point router.

Regards.