GreenR Community|The Community Run by You
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Possibile to Use HuaWei HG256s as a Wireless Repeater after Direct ONT?

SOLVED
Highlighted
Senior Commentator

Possibile to Use HuaWei HG256s as a Wireless Repeater after Direct ONT?

Hi All, 

To cut the long story short....

I was issued Huawei HG256s as my default gateway after signing up for the a fibre plan. 

Recently there's something wrong with the gateway. The engr came and I was given a few options, which I opted for Direct ONT. So after the activation, I've replaced the gateway with ASUS RT-N56U.

So the gateway has become paper weight... or not?

Is it possible that I use it as a WiFi repeater or something? My house is wired with LAN (Cat6) port in every room.

Can I link the HG256s to RT-N56U by LAN and then use the HG256s (placed at the furthest room) purely for it's Wireless function?

Possible that I could end up with 2 wireless SSIDs - One from RT-N56U and another from this HG256s.

I have tried linking the WAN port of the HG256s to the LAN port 1 (eg) of RT-N56U with an ethernet but it doesn't work. I don't think it's that simple too Smiley Tongue

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Senior Contributor
Solution

Re: Possibile to Use HuaWei HG256s as a Wireless Repeater after Direct ONT?

I think the HG256s is faulty tat's y u convert to direct ont. However, u can try give it a try. Power up the HG256, connects ur laptop to the lan port, access the webui by 192.168.1.1, change the HG256 lan ip to 192.168.1.2, disabled the DHCP, save settings. Connect up the Hg256 lan port to ur data point connecting to the lan port of ur RT-N56U, if the HG256 is in working condition, u r good to go.  

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
Senior Contributor
Solution

I think the HG256s is faulty tat's y u convert to direct ont. However, u can try give it a try. Power up the HG256, connects ur laptop to the lan port, access the webui by 192.168.1.1, change the HG256 lan ip to 192.168.1.2, disabled the DHCP, save settings. Connect up the Hg256 lan port to ur data point connecting to the lan port of ur RT-N56U, if the HG256 is in working condition, u r good to go.  

View solution in original post

Senior Commentator

Ah... Thank you. It's working perfectly now.

Regards.

Senior Commentator

Sorry again to ask. I'm able to connect using my lap top but unable to do so using my mobile phone. Able to connect to the gateway but not connected to Internet. Any help?