cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ONT keeps dying whenever there's high load

Respected Commentator

ONT keeps dying whenever there's high load

Hi,

I'm currently having the 1Gbp plan and using Asus AC5300 for my router. Everynow and then my ONT (with the word nucleus connect outside) will just die on me whenever there's high traffic in the house, i.e. gaming, video, downloads.

There's nothing wrong with my router because once i power off the ONT and power on the ONT, i get back my internet connection. This happens intermittently.

However last night till now, i've probably power off and on for almost 20 times. It's getting really frustrating. Anybody else having similar issues?

6 REPLIES 6
Valued Advocate

Re: ONT keeps dying whenever there's high load

probably time to swap one.

Grand Guru

Hi  @Michael Wolf

To power on and off &or reset will not be any help.

There is a limit on a number connections.

You need to turn off any devices on not going internet, such as phones.

Note that by having phones wifi turn on but not going internet, this is still consider "Active & Live" as the router may be waiting for any response on the phones.

I only switch on the wifi on the phone if required to.

When i download video, i only limit to 3 active download, else the download may take hours.

Respected Commentator

The tech guy will be coming down to my place to swap it next week though

Respected Commentator

That is strange if Starhub really limits the number of connection. Then what's the point of having an upgrade to a 1Gbp line...
Grand Guru

@Michael Wolf wrote:
That is strange if Starhub really limits the number of connection. Then what's the point of having an upgrade to a 1Gbp line...

Hi  @Michael Wolf

What i mean is that, on your side, if you are doing downloading multiple files/video simultaneously.

This will affect your connections.

Even you are streaming video, surfing, etc; all these will slow down or even affect your connection to Starhub.

Upgrading to 1Gbps is about speed, not connection.

For speed you can test the speed with Starhub speed test.  

Speed test links; click on this; Starhub Local speed test  And   Starhub International speed test

Respected Commentator

Hi,

yes of coz i understand it will affect the connections when my usage is higher and i know upgrading to 1gbps isn't about the connections. But i would expect a base understanding that if people upgrades to a higher bandwidth, usually it indirectly imply there will be more people using the internet, i.e. implies more connections. Of coz 1gbps will be shared with all the connections.

my issue isn't just "affecting" the connections. It drop the whole internet, i.e. all "connections".

Anyway, i've set my router to use the cable modem for the dual WAN failover. So when my fiber is down, it goes to use that cable modem for internet.