cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Not getting 300Mbps

SOLVED
Senior Commentator

Not getting 300Mbps

Hi, I recently recontracted and went for a 300Mbps plan. However even after the day the speed was supposed to be changed, my wired speed remains at 100Mbps. I called 1633 and got technical help but they said it was my network adapter inability to handle >100Mbps. I asked some friends and they said they got the full 300Mbps even with their older computers. Currently using the white ont connected to the dvg 5402 which is then connected to my computer. I've tried both my desktop and laptop and only getting ~100Mbps.

I'd like to know if this is a problem on my end or is it a problem with starhub's side?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Respected Contributor
Solution

Re: Not getting 300Mbps

Hi Zackel,

Where are you checking and seeing this "100mbps"? 

It sounds like you are connected to your router with a cable and you are checking the speed in the network properties on your computer. 

there are a few things to note regarding these numbers:

1. 300mbps is the maximum bandwidth available between your router and the internet (more specifically starhub). It is NOT anything to do with the speeds you will see on your network connections.

2. a wired network connection will only ever show connetion speeds of 10, 100 or 1000.

3. Your router only supports 100mbps on both the external (WAN) interface and internal (LAN) interfaces so you will only ever see a 100mbps connection from your PC (http://www.dlink.com.sg/starhub/downloads/DVG-G5402SP.pdf)

4. The most crucial item is that the external (WAN) interface only supports up to 100mbps so even if you connection is theoretically capable of 300mbps, the interface limitation on the hardware means its max is 100mbps

5. TBH, in the real world, you are very unlikely to get anywhere near 300mbps true throughput. I have a 150mbps connection and have never seen it downloading at that speed and it's plenty fast as it is.

View solution in original post

9 REPLIES 9
Highlighted
Honored Commentator

you might wish to check the model and specification of your network interface card(NIC)
if it is showing you 10/100 or fast ethernet the bottle neck is at your NIC as it cannot support anything more than 100mbps.
if you have a Gigabit 10/100/1000 you might need to check if you or the system might have accidently restrict it to function at 10/100, if yes check if you are able to toggle it.

Cheers
dun ask me anything i am a noob
Respected Contributor
Solution

Hi Zackel,

Where are you checking and seeing this "100mbps"? 

It sounds like you are connected to your router with a cable and you are checking the speed in the network properties on your computer. 

there are a few things to note regarding these numbers:

1. 300mbps is the maximum bandwidth available between your router and the internet (more specifically starhub). It is NOT anything to do with the speeds you will see on your network connections.

2. a wired network connection will only ever show connetion speeds of 10, 100 or 1000.

3. Your router only supports 100mbps on both the external (WAN) interface and internal (LAN) interfaces so you will only ever see a 100mbps connection from your PC (http://www.dlink.com.sg/starhub/downloads/DVG-G5402SP.pdf)

4. The most crucial item is that the external (WAN) interface only supports up to 100mbps so even if you connection is theoretically capable of 300mbps, the interface limitation on the hardware means its max is 100mbps

5. TBH, in the real world, you are very unlikely to get anywhere near 300mbps true throughput. I have a 150mbps connection and have never seen it downloading at that speed and it's plenty fast as it is.

View solution in original post

Senior Commentator

I've checked the NIC and yes it's gigabit and capable of 10/100/1000. The 100Mbps is from speedtest and also starhub's broadband speedtest pages. It's not exactly 100 but around 90+. The thing is my friend has a similar 300 Mbps plan and using the speedtest pages it does show 300Mbps.

So from what I see it would be the router keeping it at 100Mbps? In that case should I be going for direct ONT with another router? Cause otherwise getting 100Mbps when I signed up for a 300Mbps plan isn't really worth it.

Respected Contributor

Yes basically you need a router with a gigabit capable wan port

Home Networking Expert

@Zackel wrote:

Currently using the white ont connected to the dvg 5402 which is then connected to my computer. I've tried both my desktop and laptop and only getting ~100Mbps.

Unless your router is faulty, on LAN cable, dvg5402 can definitely go beyond 100Mbps.

When you test with your computer, is the computer connected directly to the router, or it has other intermediary devices (switches, homeplugs, etc)? If you are connected directly to the cable, check the cable from ONT to router and to your computer, make sure they are Cat5E or Cat 6. It'll be good if you have another cable to test with...

Those that opt for Direct ONT are typically unsatisfied with the wifi performance of 5402 (although I also complain it for not being able to switch traffic from one port to the other - but that's another story)

Senior Commentator

Yes it's directly connected to the router and I have considered the cable problem so I tried cat5e, cat 6 and also cat6e but the speed remains at 100Mbps.

I might go for direct ONT since I have the DIR 868L to use for wifi, but I need to be sure of the reason why the speed is at 100Mbps otherwise I'm afraid that the speed remains the same even after going for direct ONT.

Respected Contributor

The router only supports 100mbps interfaces. It is clearly stayed in the
specs. You want get any higher connection speed

Home Networking Expert

@AndreasK wrote:
The router only supports 100mbps interfaces. It is clearly stayed in the
specs. You want get any higher connection speed

Are we talking about DVG-N5402SP (Fiber Gateway), or DVG-G5402SP (Cable Gateway)?

TS mentioned 300Mbps fiber connection, so I'm pretty sure it can handle >100Mbps... tested & proven (used it myself, loooooooooong ago)

Home Networking Expert

@Zackel wrote:

Yes it's directly connected to the router and I have considered the cable problem so I tried cat5e, cat 6 and also cat6e but the speed remains at 100Mbps.

I might go for direct ONT since I have the DIR 868L to use for wifi, but I need to be sure of the reason why the speed is at 100Mbps otherwise I'm afraid that the speed remains the same even after going for direct ONT.

If you know what you're doing, and you're not getting the result you expecting even with another computer & cable.. then it's best to call Starhub, maybe on their end they provision wrong plan or something... but before calling, maybe you want to try resetting (power cycle) the ONT, and router (see if you could reset the router to default settings).