Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New fibre installation, using existing structured cabling

SOLVED
Honored Contributor

Re: New fibre installation, using existing structured cabling

Easy Smart Switch. Good choice !

There are so many new networking products these days, it's not always easy to decide which ones to use. Luckily, the prices are so reasonable now, it doesn' really matter much. Just buy another one if it's useful.

Screen Shot 2016-07-23 at 11.33.38 AM.png

Honored Contributor

you'd need 2 smart switches, one at the veONT and the other at your tv/router.  the 5 port is cheaper

Honored Contributor

Thanks! Found it.

I think I will give this product a miss. It runs a Windows Utility. I have switched to Macbook at home, and Linux at work. Many products will have built in Linux and run browser based configuration these days. So, this Windows Utility looks really outdated.

In addition, I would recommend a KISS approach whenever possible. "Keep It Simple, Stupid!"

Having to use a Windows PC to configure, and have the settings stored in a hardware, what if the box malfunctions ? It would be difficult to get a 2nd box and try to re-create the configurations, not to mention we'll need to configure the 2 boxes, one at each end. It's just too much trouble, not worth it.

http://www.tp-link.us/res/down/doc/Easy_Smart_Configuration_Utility_UG.pdf

Screen Shot 2016-07-23 at 11.57.53 AM.pngScreen Shot 2016-07-23 at 11.59.12 AM.png

Honored Contributor

your call, but for the benefit of anyone wanting to try this solution, v2 of the switch has the web based management console. no need for the windows based utility.

I don't work for SH or TP Link, just a happy camper overflowing with bandwith.
Honored Contributor
Solution

Thanks to everyone who replied. I really learned a lot. Hopefully, this will solve my cable modem daily disconnection problem once and for all.

This is what it looks like. The fibre goes into the ONT. The ONT has Port 1 for Network, Port 2 for IPTV, Tel 1 for Telephone. At first I tried to patch to a data point in the living room. It worked. But then I want to reserve that data port for the IPTV (I only have 1 data point in the living room.)

Screen Shot 2016-07-24 at 12.24.40 PM.png

So, keeping everything in the cabinet for now. I am using a flat Cat 6 cable between the ONT and the Wireless Router, so that the cabinet door can close without touching the network cable.

Screen Shot 2016-07-24 at 12.25.17 PM.png

Screen Shot 2016-07-24 at 12.25.30 PM.png

Also, the holes for the metal cable box are not opened. So, I'll just put a stopper there for now, to make sure it doesn't cut the cables when the metal door is closed.

Screen Shot 2016-07-24 at 12.24.55 PM.png

Depending on the location in my home, I get around 20Mbps, to the fastest 100Mbps. I am using an old MacBook Air, so I guess the WIFI speed is also limited. Probably it won't go higher than 100Mbps.

Screen Shot 2016-07-24 at 12.23.03 PM.png

The speed test shows it has gone back up again, but still only around 66Mbps. Anyway, as long as it doesn't disconnect daily I am happy.

Screen Shot 2016-07-24 at 12.18.07 PM.png

Thanks, Guys !

View solution in original post

Senior Advisor

Interesting reads.

I just started looking at fibre plans (Internet and Fibre TV) cos' SH is phasing out cable.

Fibre broadband:

I'm still using my low cable plan (as long as it works for my soccer streaming)

300Mbps would be good enough? Since not much difference with overseas traffic...

Not sure what 1Gbps can do.

Let me know if powerline works for fibre. (Using powerline for my cable, but keeps having line drop. Or is it SH issue?)

wireless - read that DIR 868 seems to have better review than DIR 890. Wireless coverage is a concern cos' currently some blind spots not covered, maybe due to walls/closed doors/old wireless router.

Hate to do additional LAN cablings to rooms, cos' of false ceiling. (I think 10 years ago, not many people would do LAN cabling at homes)

Fibre TV:

read that it requires additional cabling for 2nd fibre set-top box in room.

the IP switch can be shared with broadband?

else so many extra devices.

If cannot lay nice cable, then have to drop the 2nd set-top box.

cheers!

Honored Contributor

IPTV, don't have the box yet. I guess I will have to take the set top box to Starhub to exchange for a new box.

For WIFI, with my Wireless Router in the closet, the speed is quite different depending on where I am in the home.

The ping speed is almost the same as the cable modem, no difference.

Screen Shot 2016-07-24 at 4.10.25 PM.png

At the farthest point, I get around 25Mbps.

The closet is behind the fridge. So, if I am in the living room with the fridge in between, I get this:

Screen Shot 2016-07-24 at 4.10.53 PM.png

If I stand right next to the cabinet with nothing blocking, I get this best speed using my MacBook Air.

Screen Shot 2016-07-24 at 4.12.06 PM.png

Don't know about the powerline adapter connection yet. I probably need to buy a NAS to connect to it, or get a Windows laptop before I can test.

Otherwise, the Huawei ONT and the D-Link DIR-868L basically work 'out-of-the-box'. Very quick and simple installation.

Honored Contributor

Screen Shot 2016-07-24 at 4.25.32 PM.png

Senior Advisor

Referring to SH diagram.

ONT - IP switch - IPTV(B)

A bit extra to get separate switch for router.

SH

Senior Advisor

@kazsoft

Your DIR868 will auto detect between 2.4Ghz and 5Ghz band for your devices?