cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New fibre installation, using existing structured cabling

SOLVED
Honored Contributor

Re: New fibre installation, using existing structured cabling

Thanks. I am really not too worried whether the IPTV can work over the Powerline Adapter or not. (I don't even watch TV most of the time.) I don't use any land line telephone either.

Just want to understand how the whole thing work, and what are the different ways of connection available.

I get very angry when many of the counter staff have no idea how the cabling connections are done. They just say "the technician will know what to do." That really pisses me off. Laying those surface cables with the white plastic covers are UGLY, UGLY, UGLY. I've paid so much money for my new condo, I want to make sure the structured cabling are used correctly. and not "the technician can convert the ports for you, 4-wire to 8-wire", or "they can lay how many metres of fibre to your living room", etc. Why is everything an afterthought ? Why aren't the cabling pre-planned to provide both the DATA and IPTV to the living room (structured cabling) ? My condo is just TOP this year, brand new, yet whoever designed the cabling did not factor in that we will need TWO "data" ports ?

Honored Contributor

If the IPTV doesn't work, I can try connect one of the LAN port and try to attach a videocam or a NAS storage, whatever.

If nothing works, at least I learned something.

(It does claim it'll work. We'll see.)

20160722_203523.png

20160722_203529.jpg

Honored Contributor

This kind of cabling is just too ugly. I would rather not use a service, than to have such ugly cabling in my new condo.

fibre-casing-2.jpg

Honored Contributor

Can't really expect counter staff to know much more than the standard install.  In more complex situations where the existing wiring infrastucture is inadequate, it will be the path of least resistance, which is exposed cables.  Powerline networks are problematic and will present support issues.   Switched networks are more elegant solutions but require more technical expertise.

At one time, cable TV seemed to provide a more reliable tv performance and buildings were wired for cable (scv tv) and phone/data. The trend now is to have more load on the all in one fiber optic network and move away from a cable tv infrastructure and I suspect newer condos will be designed with this in mind.  Yours was probaby built just prior to this transition. 

Grand Guru

The counter staff are not installer, as their main role is not so technically incline.

The only person best to advice are the incline contractors.

I did done these before.

I just told the technical incline-contractors what i want & location in access to Starhub broadband & tv.

Then he could find a possible solution on the layout, which i accepted.

@cswee  For @kazsoft layout, this is done accordingly and it is much better, then others (who posted here)

All the data points are already inside the cabinet, including a wall power supply unit.

For cable TV reliable, the cables are in absolute.

Starhub had bought the whole cable network from previous company.

Now, they are facing issue, such as cable modem issue.

There was one that all s/he lines are hidden, and very hard to find the actual cause &or break in the cabling.

IPTV are now been used & tested, as so far there are no complain.

It is time to make the change and move on.

For me, i am still waiting for the flat key to check how is the layout, hopefully similar to @kazsoft

Honored Contributor

Have a look at Moca adapters http://www.actiontec.com/products/14.php could be an interesting option too.
Honored Contributor

I have stopped using a "land" telephone for more than 20 years. I am probably one of the first few NOT to have a home telephone line.

I don't use the UTP network cable either. As soon as WIFI became available 15-20 years ago, I've switched to wireless and never looked back. (I was a Novell CNE in a previous life, and have designed many trading floor/inhouse network infrastructures for my previous companies. I use wireless exclusively myself, no physical cables.)

I am using a MacBook now, and it doesn't even have a LAN port.

So, this is a clean, elegant solution for home networking. Just one device, and I can have internet, telephone, and wireless connectivity. There are 3 coax outlets in my condo. So, I can use one for TV, and one for internet. Sweet.  (I added a phone just because it's available as a 'package'. Ok, I can use the phone as 'emergency backup'.)

The nightmare came when the modem started disconnecting EVERY SINGLE DAY and NIGHT..... 

20160723_083352.jpg

This condo, just TOP, only has a Coax outlet. They probably expect people to have a wall mount TV. But didn't they know fibre is coming, that they should provide a few DATA ports instead ? What has the internet providers and the gov been doing defining the "new standards" ? Didn't they see it coming ?

20160723_083239.jpg

20160723_083229.jpg

For so many years, I've been happily using a low 11Mbps for home network. Just do some browsing, send some emails, watch some Youtube videos. What good is the change from 11Mbps to 1000Mbps ? Is everybody start downloading tons of movies at home ?

Screen Shot 2016-07-23 at 8.50.35 AM.png

The DIR-868L will have  802.11ac wireless. So,there shouldn't be any need for any physical cables at all.

Screen Shot 2016-07-23 at 8.49.52 AM.png

The trouble comes when the TEL and IPTV ports are provided by the ONT, and it's back to physical cables again.

So, since I don't need a land telephone, I can just don't use the TEL port.

And if the IPTV proves to be a pain, I can probably continue to use the Coax connection until the service dies. Then, I'll just switch to some other internet TV solutions instead. I don't watch much TV anyway.

So, after all the trouble of replacing the existing cable modem with a fibre connectivity, it's still back to the same internet connection. It will be faster, but I don't yet know what I can do with a 1Gbps fast network. I don't know what is the 'killer application' that one must have a gigabit network in order to enjoy it....

Honored Contributor

I've got all my new toys from Sim Lim/Challenger. I shall experiment with these and see what works.

The "powerline adapter" is just a fun toy. Never used before. It will be interesting if it does work.

The new SmartCam doen't use any cable anyway. Pure wireless. 

By the way, I've learned a lot from all the replies received. Really thank you guys. I think some of these replies will benefit those that will be installing the fibre internet, but just as puzzled as I was about how it will be wired up.

I try NOT to change any existing cabling, just making use what's already available. If the powerline adapter solution works, use it. If not, just toss it out. Everything is a learning experience.

Screen Shot 2016-07-23 at 8.50.35 AM.png

Honored Contributor

Should have gone for the Easy Smart Switch @$39.  That would allow you to play with vlans and you'd have a nice switched network, just one cable to carry TV and data signals.  I think you'd find it a nice challenge given your Novell background.

Also once you put in webcams, stream netflix, etc you'd find the bandwith useful for smooth operation. 

Honored Contributor

Found these. Test from my MacBook Air, wireless. I'll test again after the fibre installation.

https://fast.com/

Screen Shot 2016-07-23 at 11.21.27 AM.png

http://beta.speedtest.net/
Screen Shot 2016-07-23 at 11.22.54 AM.png