cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New fibre installation, using existing structured cabling

SOLVED
Honored Contributor

Re: New fibre installation, using existing structured cabling

By the way, I've been searching for the exact model of ONT to be installed, so that I can confirm the ports available. However, it seems someone mentioned there are black ones, white ones, and some ONT will have dedicated phone ports. So, it's really confusing.

Anyway, it seems this may be the model that will be installed. I can see there are no dedicated ports, just "soft" assigned for Data, IPTV, and Tel, I believe. That's alright. It's even better if it's just a small box, and Starhub can change the port assignments easily. Makes it more flexible.

But, how does it provide the 2-wire POTS? Add a converter ?

I just find it extrememly difficult to get the exact model of devices, so that I can plan ahead (before the installation.) At least, now I am quite familiar with what the devices do, and will be able to make more 'intelligent' decisions when they do the installation (decisions on which port to do what T1/T2/T3, D1/D2.)

IMG_20120930_164956.jpg33oYP.jpg

Honored Contributor

OK, bought the cable tester (only $15.80) and some Cat 5e cables. Just want to test my telephone ports to see if all 8 cords are patched first. If I can use both the data and tel ports, I'll have more flexibility in designing the network connectivity.

Screenshot_20160720-144431.jpg

Honored Contributor

Thanks to all who replied. I have a much better understanding now.

The DATA ports are 8 wires. The TEL ports only 4 wires. (Just plug in the tester and can tell straight away.)

So, when the technicians come to install next weekend, I should be able to decide how to wire it up. (Depending on what kind of ONT they will be providing. A basic one with only 4 ports, or a Voice-enabled one with a dedicated phone port.) 

13716218_10154337637259509_7450487867721369899_n.png13692677_10154337637324509_8305225887643015281_n.png

Grand Guru

There may have some differences, depend on which Services are include or not.

From what i read here, some want to add IPTV later, the ONT may have to be given another type of ONT, but not all.

Hence, IPTV required that the customer do have Fibre Broadband only.

For ONT, they have to provide with all 3 setting accordingly, may preset by Starhub on the ONT.

ONT is preset on;

Port - 1  is for Internet

Port - 2  is for IPTV

Both are fixed, no option. (As this forum staff did mentioned.)

Tel Port - 1  for telephone, same connection as any normal home phone line.

This is most probably from broadband which could mean is digital voice.

The ONT model which i am using is;   EchoLite HG8240

I am using this free Digital Voice (no use for me, as my primary is using mobile).

The plan is 500Mbps fibre broadband, as the speed to close to 500Mbps.

Cable TV, which i may swap to IPTV, as no complain either from Starhub & Singtel.

If the router with 4 ports is not enough, you could extend to more.

I bought a  "8-Port Gigabit Easy Desktop Switch" Model: DGS-1008A. ($45, depend on model)

The Challenger staff told me that there are 8 ports, as all ports are on "auto".

That means using 1 or more ports for "Input" connection from the Router ports (out),

as the other 7 or less can be used for connect to more ports, if any.

There is no setting or config required, as it can auto sense if that port is Input or Output to PC & devices.

This is what i have to start to prepare, but i recently got a spare router, which may not need this device.

***Just my own view***

As you mentioned, the TV location do have the data point, so it is convenient for use to go thru data point for IPTV from ONT Port-2. 

It is good that you decide to move on.

As in previous on the other thread, that was meant as in-direct to another user, trolling.

Hence internet geeks did not provide info, as he criticize, if you notice on the 1st few posts.

Post by him will not get any response.

We do encountered this type users before.

Grand Guru

May be you could use the cable modem to link and do the test.

Afterall, the cable modem is still active.

Honored Contributor

If you get the TV+Internet+Phone package (home hub), you'll get the VeONT (voice enabled ONT).  

On this VeONT, port 1 will be for internet, Port 2 for the Starhub set top.  Both use UTP Cat 5e or Cat 6 (better),  so you'll need 2 data points leading back to the VeONT.

You can get away with one cable to carry both TV and Internet, but you'll need managed (or smart) switches (preferably 2) and know how to configure and tag vlans.  You probably won't get official support for this. 

If you have multiple TV Set Top, Starhub will provide an ip-switch.  see http://www.starhub.com/personal/tv/set-top-boxes/fibre-tv.html

The VeONT has 2 telco ports for 2 wire telephone connection and you can have 2 phone lines.  You can use the existing telephone points if they lead back to the VeONT.  You can use splitters and cordless phones, or even a suitable pabx for you home land line system.

I'm not employed by Starhub, commenting from personal experiences.

Honored Contributor

Just bought this from Sim Lim. If it works for the IPTV, then I will have a free DATA port in my living room for Internet.

Screenshot_20160722-133802.jpg

Honored Contributor

Hopefully, this will be the final, working design.

I hate to change any existing cabling. So, I hope to make use of the existing data and telephone ports "as-is."

fibre3-1.png

Honored Contributor

Good luck.  Please do let us know how it performs.

Grand Guru

Hi  @kazsoft

Suggest to write to this forum staff, regarding your IPTV setup;

Please do submit your request, with subscriber details to either PM  Ng Wei Hao  or  Santosh Rai

How to send a PM (Private Message) on StarHub Community?

Do refer to this webpage on IPTV  TV on Fibre  for more details.

Also as stated in this webpage on diagram on connection.

Edited:

This is because of the signal may not be feasible, result in "No Signal"

----------------------------------------------

I am not Starhub staff &or related to.