GreenR Community|The Community Run by You
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Need some help to optimize connection speeds

Valued Commentator

Need some help to optimize connection speeds

My workplace is on a 100mbps plan. The routers were recently changed, and the current hardware is Cisco SRP521W. 

Prior to the change, the wifi connection speeds are around a healthy 70kbps, but after the change, it's only at 10 to 18kbps. Moreover the upload speed after the change is around 30kbps, faster than the download speed.

When connected through ethernet, the download speed is

ethernet

The speed tests were done at: http://www.speedtest.com.sg/speedtest.php

I believe there's some wrong configuration somewhere or something, so if I could get some assistance that would great. Let me know what information or settings I need to share.

4 REPLIES 4
Administrator

Re: Need some help to optimize connection speeds

Hi Julliant

Be it corporate or individual services, Wi-Fi is something that cannot be guaranteed by anyone. It is possible that your location is simply congested. Off hand, I can only think that you might need to switch Wi-Fi channels to try to find the least congested channel. Please contact our business helpdesk (or Account Manager if you have one) to discuss about this.

Some of my posts are unofficial and may contain personal opinions which may not represent the positions and opinions of StarHub Smiley Happy

Valued Commentator

Hi Howard, thanks for the reply. As I mentioned in my post, I got the proper speeds with my previous router and it was pretty consistent all the time for more than a week since the fibre optic connection was installed until the change in hardware. Can't be the location suddenly get congested and cause the connection to drop by around 80%.

I'll try changing the wi-fi channels first anyway, thanks.

Hub Expert

Julliant: also check whether the new router has been placed appropriately. At my previous office, we were seeing LOUSY wifi speeds. We called, the ISP engineer came in, picked our router off the floor, placed it on a 1-foot-high table, and speeds went through the roof! Something that simple... had us all shaking our heads, since we were all supposedly "technically savvy" people... ;-)

- V.

My posts represent ONLY my own opinions.
Administrator

Varun is right, radio signals propagate downwards so putting a router at waist level, for example, will leave the radio signal scattered on the floor and benefiting the folks downstairs (if any)

As I shared earlier, do change the Wi-Fi channel too. Many people don't know (or can't be bothered) to change the default channel resulting in congestion in that channel. Contact technical support to assist you with changing the Wi-Fi channel. Your old router was probably configured with another channel previously and the new router came with the default congested channel

Hope this helped!

Some of my posts are unofficial and may contain personal opinions which may not represent the positions and opinions of StarHub Smiley Happy