Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

My Fibre Broadband gives Hong Kong IP Address

SOLVED
Esteemed Commentator

My Fibre Broadband gives Hong Kong IP Address

Hi People,

Anyone with the same issues? Perhaps you can give me a solution to my problem. I cannot access my online game with this ridiculous Hong Kong IP Address.  

Untitled3.jpg

This is wireless connection. Also, for my iphone, when I turn on wifi, I get the same HK IP Address, and when I go into FaceBook App, my newsfeed just won;t update, and I cannot play any videos. But when I turn off the wifi and use my own 4G connection, everything is back to normal. 

Anyway, for the online game I mentioned, I play MapleStorySEA, I can access the game when my IP Address is a normal Singapore Address, but then I have trouble logging into the game, I know my IP Address is wrong, so I went to check, and it turns out to be Hong Kong IP Address. I know I have to get a Singapore IP Address to get into the game because this game uses Singapore Gateway. Refer to the 2 photos below for reference.

Untitled.jpg

Untitled.jpg

Also, I find it ridiculous because StarHub claims to be directly connected to most of the leading online game publishers (refer to 2 photos below), but yet this is what I am experiencing. Have already called 1633 for technical assistance twice, 1st time they said to call back, but no calls until after 2 weeks I made another call, they told me my status wasn't updated, and they will do a check and get back to me again. They have guided me to reset my router, my modem, and nothing works. I did not sign up for this, paying over $60 for a HK IP Address, come on, this is StarHub from Singapore, what is with the HK IP Address?

Untitled4.jpg

Untitled5.jpg

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Home Networking Expert
Solution

Re: My Fibre Broadband gives Hong Kong IP Address

As ridiculous as it may seem to you, the problem is really with Asiasoft recognising you in a place that you're not. You've been given a valid IP address, globally it belongs to Starhub now, MAYBE at one point it was used in Hong Kong (imagine the problem with phone number being recycled).

It is up to Asiasoft to update their 'directory' to recognise who is from where. If they cannot do it, then there's really nothing you can do.

VPN solved your problem becoz with the VPN service you are allocated another "IP" masking your true identity, common 'trick' used to "hide" your actual location.

If you are really having a HK IP, then i'm sure you're enjoying unlimited drama on HK's TVB website now Smiley Tongue

32 REPLIES 32
Administrator

Hi BOOMS, 

Here's my personal findings without checking with my engineers.

If you check your IP address 101.127.4.103 against a more authoratative site such as http://tools.whois.net/whoisbyip/ or another third party site such as http://www.whatismyip.com/ip-tools/ip-whois-lookup/, you will see that the IP belongs to us, not some Hong Kong server. 

I suggest that you approach Asiasoft to check on this apparent mistake. IP to location conversion is not 100% accurate. 

[Querying whois.arin.net]
[Redirected to whois.apnic.net]
[Querying whois.apnic.net]
[whois.apnic.net]
% [whois.apnic.net]
% Whois data copyright terms http://www.apnic.net/db/dbcopyright.html

% Information related to '101.127.0.0 - 101.127.15.255'

inetnum: 101.127.0.0 - 101.127.15.255
netname: StarHub-Ltd-NGNBN-Services
descr: StarHub-Ltd-NGNBN-Services
admin-c: NS110-AP
tech-c: NS110-AP
changed: pmbondoc@starhub.com 20100316
mnt-by: MAINT-AS4657-AP
mnt-irt: IRT-STARHUBINTERNET-SG
geoloc: 1.324764 103.89272
source: APNIC

irt: IRT-STARHUBINTERNET-SG
address: 67 UBI AVENUE 1, #05-01
address: Singapore 408942
e-mail: abuse@starhub.com
abuse-mailbox: abuse@starhub.com
admin-c: CM930-AP
tech-c: CM930-AP
auth: # Filtered
changed: abuse@starhub.com 20101118
changed: hm-changed@apnic.net 20101126

person: NOC SHI
nic-hdl: NS110-AP
e-mail: ipnoc@starhub.com
remarks: -----------------------------
remarks: Please send abuse reports to:
remarks: abuse@starhub.com
address: 19 TaiSeng Drive
address: Singapore 535222
phone: +65 6825 7878
fax-no: +65 6821 6012
changed: pmbondoc@starhub.com 20090309

% This query was served by the APNIC Whois Service version 1.69.1-APNICv1r0 (WHOIS2)

Some of my posts are unofficial and may contain personal opinions which may not represent the positions and opinions of StarHub Smiley Happy

Esteemed Commentator

Hi Howard, I realised it is always one person saying one thing, and another person saying another thing when it comes to technical assistance. The first time I called, someone guided me to reset my modem and router which did not help, and also the person told me yes this ip address is in Hong Kong but belongs to Starhub, and it is because Singapore do not have enough list of ip address, that is why they jump around. Also, I understand that yes, this ip belongs to Starhub, but the location is in Hong Kong, and I do not know why. I only know when I use a VPN and change my IP address to Singapore location, I am able to access the game, and yes that is what I did just now, I did access the game, but the VPN only have limited data per month. This have nothing to do with AsiaSoft because I accessed the game earlier, they are not having maintenance or server update. Like I said, when I have Singapore IP Address(without VPN), I can access the game, but these few weeks I have been getting HK IP Address, and that is when I cannot access the game. And since I am paying Starhub and not the VPN server, I should have the right to use Starhub and play my game peacefully. I went to: www.whatismyip.com/ www.tracemyip.org/ whatismyipaddress.com/ www.ip-adress.com/ and it all shows the same result. I hope that you do not misunderstand me as being rude, I am just stating facts, and if you are offended in any ways, please note in mind that I don't mean it that way, I just want to get what I paid for. Thank you.
Esteemed Commentator

Hi Howard,

So is there any other way you can trouble shoot this for me?
Home Networking Expert
Solution

As ridiculous as it may seem to you, the problem is really with Asiasoft recognising you in a place that you're not. You've been given a valid IP address, globally it belongs to Starhub now, MAYBE at one point it was used in Hong Kong (imagine the problem with phone number being recycled).

It is up to Asiasoft to update their 'directory' to recognise who is from where. If they cannot do it, then there's really nothing you can do.

VPN solved your problem becoz with the VPN service you are allocated another "IP" masking your true identity, common 'trick' used to "hide" your actual location.

If you are really having a HK IP, then i'm sure you're enjoying unlimited drama on HK's TVB website now Smiley Tongue

Esteemed Commentator

Hi Kon, I do have cable Tv already for HK Drama, but good idea haha. You mean if AsiaSoft update their 'directory', I can access the game? Because without VPN, I can also access the game, I just don't know why my IP Address keep changing, sometimes is SG, sometimes HK. When I can access the game, my IP Address is normal SG location without VPN. But when I have trouble logging into the game, my IP Address is HK. So how is this AsiaSoft's side problem?
Home Networking Expert

Try going to http://www.whatismyip.com/ and share with us what you see... there should be 2 IP for starhub subscriber:

Your IP:XXX.XXX.XXX.XXX

Proxy:183.90.41.22

Your IP is your WAN IP assigned to your cable modem when you are online, whereas the proxy will keep changing everytime you surf.

When i visit the same site that you do, whatismyipaddress.com, all it detect is the proxy IP, which changes everytime I visit a site.

Your IP address is 183.90.41.22

ISPSmiley SurprisedrganizationSmiley Frustratedervices:City:Country:

StarHub Internet Pte Ltd
StarHub Internet Pte Ltd
Confirmed Proxy Server
Singapore
Singapore

What is this Asiasoft problem? They have failed to detect your real IP address, and the starhub proxy address they also detect it wrongly as someone from HKG, so they have to update how they detect their user isn't it?

Frankly, I would love it if starhub remove their transparent proxy, but with IDA ruling in place, it's pretty much not going to happen anytime soon...

Esteemed Commentator

Speed TestYour IP:101.127.4.153
IP Address LookupProxy:No Proxy Detected
IP Whois LookupCity:HONG KONG
Hide My IPState/Region:HONG KONG (SAR)
Change My IPCountry:HONG KONG Flag - HONG KONG

Hi Kon,

I went to www.whatismyip.com, this is what I got, they cannot detect a proxy, and all my ip location is from HK Smiley Sad

Home Networking Expert

@Howard wrote:

Hi BOOMS, 

Here's my personal findings without checking with my engineers.

If you check your IP address 101.127.4.103 against a more authoratative site such as http://tools.whois.net/whoisbyip/ or another third party site such as http://www.whatismyip.com/ip-tools/ip-whois-lookup/, you will see that the IP belongs to us, not some Hong Kong server. 

I suggest that you approach Asiasoft to check on this apparent mistake. IP to location conversion is not 100% accurate. 

[Querying whois.arin.net]
[Redirected to whois.apnic.net]
[Querying whois.apnic.net]
[whois.apnic.net]
% [whois.apnic.net]
% Whois data copyright terms http://www.apnic.net/db/dbcopyright.html

% Information related to '101.127.0.0 - 101.127.15.255'

inetnum: 101.127.0.0 - 101.127.15.255
netname: StarHub-Ltd-NGNBN-Services
descr: StarHub-Ltd-NGNBN-Services
admin-c: NS110-AP
tech-c: NS110-AP
changed: pmbondoc@starhub.com 20100316
mnt-irt: IRT-STARHUBINTERNET-SG
geoloc: 1.324764 103.89272

irt: IRT-STARHUBINTERNET-SG
address: 67 UBI AVENUE 1, #05-01
address: Singapore 408942
e-mail: abuse@starhub.com
abuse-mailbox: abuse@starhub.com
admin-c: CM930-AP
tech-c: CM930-AP
auth: # Filtered
changed: abuse@starhub.com 20101118
changed: hm-changed@apnic.net 20101126

person: NOC SHI
nic-hdl: NS110-AP
e-mail: ipnoc@starhub.com
remarks: Please send abuse reports to:
remarks: abuse@starhub.com
address: 19 TaiSeng Drive
address: Singapore 535222
phone: +65 6825 7878
fax-no: +65 6821 6012
changed: pmbondoc@starhub.com 20090309

% This query was served by the APNIC Whois Service version 1.69.1-APNICv1r0 (WHOIS2)

Booms - then you ask Asiasoft to check the IP allocations that Howard posted earlier? That IP Ranges belong to starhub.

You can try "resetting" your cable modem to get a new IP, but AFAIK, it's not easy, I typically need to keep the modem off for half a day or more to get a new IP. but if you get another ip within the same range, you are still stuck. so best is still ask Asiasoft to accept that IP range

Hub Master

If you need any clarification from my network engineers, please drop me your details. Thanks.
========================================
Home is where the ♥ is