GreenR Community|The Community Run by You
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

MaxInfinity fiber broadband intermittent connection(DIRECT Connection NOT WIFI)

Honored Contributor

MaxInfinity fiber broadband intermittent connection(DIRECT Connection NOT WIFI)

Hi there,

I have several devices at home connected to fiber broadband and noticed intermittent dropped connection. Doing a continious ping test from my office to my assigned home network IP and noticed intermittent dropped packets which coincides with the remote connection.

Unfortunately I'm not home at the moment to perform any connection troubleshooting. The best I can do is remotely reboot my router which have not fixed the issue.

Please advice if there are any unplanned maintenance going on.

I've been trying to get in touch with 1633 but wasn't successful for more than 20mins now.

UPDATES Below

Please note that this issue is still ongoing for me.

Update to case here, slight background: this area is my field of expertise and I don't like wasting time calling for support unless it's something that needs to be done on the backend.

I received a call from the broadband team support and was told that the *engineers* detected that I have multiple IP address assigned and what they did was clear them all and assigned my home a new WAN IP.

I won't lie, it did seem like it worked because the drop connection reduced a lot, before it was dropping every few minutes.

So as time passes, the drop connection comes back frequently again.

I've done a lot of troubleshooting myself trying to isolate the cause and i've come to a point that it's Starhub network issue.

How do i noticed a disconnection? I have several devices at home that connects to the internet like my skybell, light switches smart devices, home server etc....

First test of course i connected my laptop directly to the ONT, browse the web normally and do a continous ping test from a separate machine on a separate network(test laptop from my office network) to my WAN IP.

Note that WAN IP is assigned to my laptop now so when I do a ping test remotely, it's doing a ping test to my laptop. If nothing is connected to ONT, there will not be any replies from the ping test - i wouldn't even know what the WAN IP to ping to...

After a few minutes i noticed multiple instances of "Request timed out" on the ping test and true enough i checked my laptop, i've lost internet connectivity.

This occurs for a few minutes and then ping start showing replies again which then I discovered internet connectivity is back.

So now that I know that the problem lies even before it reaches my devices, i start off by powering down the ONT for a few minutes, replaced the LAN cable and try it with another laptop(just to be sure). Yep, same results!

So i'm done for the direct connection as I know it's not a problem within my network and reconnected back my main router(Asus RT-AC66U) to the ONT for further testing/monitoring.

Now that I know the issue persists, I called back 1633 and I was quite shock to find out that the case wasn't even escalated to the engineers. the advisor who called me before fllush the IP pool and reassigned the IP from his end and use that as a workaround. So i requested for a callback from a senior advisor as this will not do for me because the drop in connection is not just few seconds but can take a few minutes and this affects me alot.

So this is how I come in to show the engineers that there is a problem with the network.

My Asus router web ui can be acessed from anywhere in the world with http://WAN-IP:1234

When my network goes down, I won't be able to access to web ui remotely

From my office, I have a separate machine that's doing a ping test to 3 different IP addresses concurrently. first is my WAN IP and 2 more from the last 2 hops of traceroute results to my WAN IP.

photo_2017-03-22_14-54-37.jpg

So on the left is ping to my WAN IP and the next 2 are the router hops. so when i see request timing out on the left window, i load up my router web ui remotely and as expected it gives me a page failed to load error.

Now this issue is big downturn for me as I've only recently moved in to this new place and signed up for Starhub fiber broadband. I didnt have any issues with Starhub fiber broadband for past years in my mom's place.

7 REPLIES 7
Community Manager

Re: Outage for fiber broadband Yishun?

Hi MrAZ, sorry about the long waiting time over our hotline. Please send me a private massage with your StarHub Account number, NRIC/FIN, contact number and email address so that we can get in touch and assist you further. Thank you.- Josephine

Honored Contributor

This issue is not resolved, see my updates in the first post.

I'm waiting for a phone call from a senior technical advisor in the broadband team to further discuss this problem more importantly come with a resolution because i've narrowed it down to the starhub network and not within my devices.

Highlighted
New Commentator

Hi Mr Az,

Can i ask is there a way to resolve this issue ? did they permanently solve your issue ?  i am also facing this issue . Come to think of it I doubt starhub can resolve the issue for us .

The only way is to do checks at the applicance or server end which is distributing the WAN IP . If starhub's checks are not in place . The only solution i can think of if this case happens is to do a mac clone to tell their " backend server" that this is a different device and get a different WAN IP . And it works 100% of the time .  Its rather silly. The starhub technician came down 4 times but there is simply nothing he can do but to isolate the the IP with their backend and show me that it's a duplicate mac address on his samsung tablet.

Honored Contributor

@JosephD wrote:

Hi Mr Az,

Can i ask is there a way to resolve this issue ? did they permanently solve your issue ?  i am also facing this issue . Come to think of it I doubt starhub can resolve the issue for us .

The only way is to do checks at the applicance or server end which is distributing the WAN IP . If starhub's checks are not in place . The only solution i can think of if this case happens is to do a mac clone to tell their " backend server" that this is a different device and get a different WAN IP . And it works 100% of the time .  Its rather silly. The starhub technician came down 4 times but there is simply nothing he can do but to isolate the the IP with their backend and show me that it's a duplicate mac address on his samsung tablet.

I have sort of forgotten about this issue as at some point after about 2 weeks or so having this issue, it stopped happening to me. Sorry that i forgot to update it here.

I guess if you read my steps in my first post you have an idea that Starhub engineers are not able to fix this quickly... since there are many layers of support to go through while they may have backlogs of cases to attend to. By the time it reaches someone who can fix it, it would have been a long time.

my best advice is to go with the workaround solution the helpdesk can provide by reassigning a new WAN IP.

your method on mac cloning is definitely possible though i never really liked doing so on my devices.

You can probably save some time to get a new WAN IP assigned without even calling the helpdesk by doing so.

Since starhub network provides dynamic WAN IP, this is not a big issue however it’s a different case if we are on a static IP configuration.

Alumni (Retired)

Hi @JosephD, please send me a PM with the subscriber's name, NRIC/FIN, mobile and email address for further assistance. Thank you. 

New Commentator

Re: MaxInfinity fiber broadband intermittent connection(DIRECT Connection NOT WIFI)

Hi MrAZ,

Saw your detailed test and trace.

I also having the issue.I had try to reboot all devices. All my device at home is on LAN(Cat 6 rj45) except mobile devices on Wifi. The bandwidth min and max log on my Fortigate changes different after the maintenance.

last time after sign up, Up to 1GBPS. Now it seem is Up to 200 MBps cable speed rather than fibre speed.

It seem like after the 1 October 2017 scheduled maintenance(Fibre, TV and phone service), the speed drops drastically. Corporate internet seem smooth no issue. Only Consumer internet seem a lot of issue recently after the maintenance.

ps: I had received the notifcation of maintenance sms from starhub before the maintenance date.

I had done what I know before you stated before I join the communicty to rant my dissatisfaction.

I am a snr tech but support in SatCOM.

I had used some device and software to trace what is wrong.

And found the loop and jump count is high within Starhub backend server.

Hope Starhub engineer should look into it at the backend since there are many frontend(consumer) had complaints. There is no submarine cable issue recently on all 6 termination point in Singapore.

ps: I manage the network at home ( AMK Central ) but the contract is under my father name.

Alumni (Retired)

Re: MaxInfinity fiber broadband intermittent connection(DIRECT Connection NOT WIFI)

Hi ST_t3chiey, please send me a PM with the subscriber's name, NRIC/FIN, mobile and email address for further assistance. Thank you.