GreenR Community|The Community Run by You
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is there a great possibility our neighbours can use smartphone to control our router?

SOLVED
Honored Contributor

Is there a great possibility our neighbours can use smartphone to control our router?

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Accepted Solutions
Community Manager
Solution

Re: Is there a great possibility our neighbours can use smartphone to control our router?

Hi Eflw, if you suspect that your network has been compromised, you can consider changing the password to your wireless network. - Simon

View solution in original post

Administrator
Solution

Re: Is there a great possibility our neighbours can use smartphone to control our router?

Hi Eflw, just curious, how did you determine that your neighbour had obtained access to your router?

If true, this is illegal and you may want to speak to your neighbour about the potential crimminal consequences. You can decide to make a police report on this if you have sufficient evidence of the unauthorised access. 

On regaining control of your router, you can do a reset to factory defaults. This will allow you to regain access and set a new password. However, all the devices that used to connect to the router will need to have their passwords updated to the new one. I'm not sure of the model that you are using but here's the guide to the latest Linksys router that we have:

https://linksys-sh.com/support/troubleshooting-guide-ea8100/ 

If you need help on this, you may call Linksys at 6701-6971. 

I hope this gets resolved soon!

Some of my posts are unofficial and may contain personal opinions which may not represent the positions and opinions of StarHub Smiley Happy

14 REPLIES 14
Honored Contributor

My neighbour has tried to play funny with me using smartphone some smart home app to control my home air con compressor on and off, which I turned off the manual main switch. But is there a great possibility neighbour uses smartphone to control our Linksys router? If so, how to block off their intervention? 

Community Manager
Solution

Hi Eflw, if you suspect that your network has been compromised, you can consider changing the password to your wireless network. - Simon

Honored Contributor

But if the neighbour has already assessed into router taking control of everything: our TV, internet, phone, mobile, then how to change the password? Haha

Administrator
Solution

Hi Eflw, just curious, how did you determine that your neighbour had obtained access to your router?

If true, this is illegal and you may want to speak to your neighbour about the potential crimminal consequences. You can decide to make a police report on this if you have sufficient evidence of the unauthorised access. 

On regaining control of your router, you can do a reset to factory defaults. This will allow you to regain access and set a new password. However, all the devices that used to connect to the router will need to have their passwords updated to the new one. I'm not sure of the model that you are using but here's the guide to the latest Linksys router that we have:

Some of my posts are unofficial and may contain personal opinions which may not represent the positions and opinions of StarHub Smiley Happy

Grand Guru

Hi Eflw,

Is your home installed Smart Home System.

i am not starhub staff.

Honored Contributor

Because I assume if my neighbor can use smart home app control my air con compressor, likewise can control my router, but I don't know how? 

Thanks for the advice.

I didn't have smart home system.

Heard now can use smartphone assess our new NRIC and credit card details, is it true? 

Honored Contributor

Because I assume if my neighbor can use smart home app control my air con compressor, likewise can control my router, but I don't know how? 

Thanks for the advice.

I didn't have smart home system.

Heard now can use smartphone assess our new id and credit card details, is it true? 

Community Manager

Hi Eflw, do try performing factory reset to your router, and set a complicated password to avoid the router and your network being compromised. - Simon

Honored Contributor

@Howard Toh wrote:

As advised I have already made a Police report, also reported to CNB Central Narcotics Bureau as he smoked Cannabis could smell from my bedroom window.