GreenR Community|The Community Run by You
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Internet having issues? Try changing your DNS.

SOLVED
Highlighted
Android™ Expert

Internet having issues? Try changing your DNS.

I have noticed that StarHub's DNS server is getting cranky. So I have written a short guide here for StarHub-issued routers on how to change the DNS.

First, login to your router

• For D-Link, default IP Address is http://192.168.0.1, default password is <leave blank>
  • For Linksys, default IP Address is http://192.168.1.1, default login is <leave blank>, default password is admin.

Navigate to the DNS page.

• For D-Link, Setting > Internet > (Advanced Settings) if you do not see DNS Server
  • For Linksys, Connectivity > Local Network

Change the DNS Server to a Public one, I will use Google’s Public DNS as an example.

• For D-Link, Primary DNS = 8.8.8.8 ,  Secondary DNS = 8.8.4.4
  • For Linksys, Static DNS 1 = 8.8.8.8, Static DNS 2 = 8.8.4.4

Click Apply, your router will reset so please expect disconnection. Wait for about 5 minutes and try using the internet.

Hope this helps during this Curcuit Breaker period! Cheers!

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Android™ Expert
Solution

Re: Internet having issues? Try changing your DNS.

Hi @chrischai101

you can reverse the settings if you want or keep them as it is. I have been using it all along, before this episode even happened. So far, no issues.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
Highlighted
Esteemed Commentator

LIFESAVER!!! I hereby knight you as Sir WiFi-Saver for saving all our sanities during this Circuit Breaker period. Your duty to our nation is well noticed.

My opinions are my own and I am not employed or affiliated to StarHub in any way outside of my home and mobile plan subscriptions.
Highlighted
Respected Commentator

Thanks for the advice! Do we have to reverse the DNS setting later (i.e clear off the manually input 8888 and 8844 and set them as empty fields later again)? Or can we just leave them as they are permanently?

Thank a lot mate. 

Highlighted
Android™ Expert
Solution

Hi @chrischai101

you can reverse the settings if you want or keep them as it is. I have been using it all along, before this episode even happened. So far, no issues.

View solution in original post

Highlighted
Honored Contributor

How do i verify on the linksys router that the DNS settings have been implemented successfully? i.e.from the router, is there any way to check if its using the new DNS settings?