cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Intermittent connection and high ping

Senior Commentator

Intermittent connection and high ping

Hi,

I had been using starhub fibre for the past 2-3 years and the 1st year was pretty good, but subsequently, there was always drops and connection loses. Initially it was thought that the router had issues, but even after changing the router the issue has persisted. This problem is even worse during peak hours. From 8pm - 1am. I have called starhub customer service but all they can tell me is my modem is connected, but the problem is not resolved. Below is a tracert to starhub.com.

1.jpg2.jpg

Speed tests by Ookla suggested 2% to 22% packet loss when there is no one using the network. There is no way I can game and sometimes even streaming videos is affected.

6 REPLIES 6
Phb
Honored Contributor

Re: Intermittent connection and high ping

Hi,

My numbers at 11.56am today. Whats your location?

Traceroute Starhub-com Dec 2016 21 1156hrs.jpg

Senior Commentator

Hi,

My area is Yishun. Been having this problem for awhile now. Recently bought a new router, but the problem still persists. As you can see the ping doesnt spike all the time. 

Below are 2 more tests from various ping websites.002.jpg001.jpg

As you can see from the graph, although ping indicates its good, but there are losses to the connection. A long pause followed by a shorter pause of 0 transmission. As the router has been replaced recently, what are the chances that the nucleus set top or the fibre termination point being the issue? We did have the nucleus modem for a couple years now.

Senior Commentator

And I just noticed ... your test did not pass through the nodes my tracert is using. So your test is pretty much not valid.

Highlighted
Phb
Honored Contributor

HI Sean,

Just to make clear, I am no expert. Totaly newbie.

Agree that your tracer/ping test nodes are different from mine.  I guess you could consider moving to Telok Blangah area? Man LOL Because thats where I am.

That said, data for you to have as comparison as below. Perhaps this needs more attention from the more senior fellas.

Ping Test 2016 Dec 21 1901.jpg

Also, I did a test on the offending 183.90.44.33, and at this time, I cannot say I can see anything wrong from my end.

Traceroute Starhub-com Dec 2016 21 1920hrs.jpg

Phb
Honored Contributor

HI Sean,

This is me, after dinner having desert.

Refering to your FIRST Image.

I did some reading into your case, and, came about something called, Rate Limit/Rate Limiting.

See this link, https://www.linode.com/docs/networking/diagnostics/diagnosing-network-issues-with-mtr/

See section, Analyzing MTR Reports, Verifying Packet Loss

Perhaps you might want to download and run WinMTR to get a better picture?

Alumni (Retired)

Hi @Sean ZX , should you require any assistance, please PM us the subscriber's name, NRIC/FIN, email address and contact number. We will get back to you soon. Thank you. - Sofia

Sofia