cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Homehub 1000 Fibre connection Speed

SOLVED
Senior Commentator

Homehub 1000 Fibre connection Speed

I have just upgrade from Homehub 200 to Homehub 1000. While doing the speed test. I notice that my DL & UL speed does not have much different.

Acccording to the starhub Service personel, my modem and Dlink Router is eligible for this plan.

What is the average speed you guys have for 1GB Fibre?

My average Speed for DL is about 80 and  UL is about 90. (via WIFI_5GHz)

3 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Accepted Solutions
Veteran
Solution

Re: Homehub 1000 Fibre connection Speed

You should do a wired speed test (preferably with computer wired direct to the ONT).

That will be your baseline.

<100Mbps for 5GHz wifi is on the low side but wifi speeds depends on a lot of variables like router, firmware, client device used, etc.

View solution in original post

Respected Advocate
Solution

@mormort, I believe your connection is as below:

Fibre Termination Point ------> Voice-enabled Optical Network Terminal (VeONT) -----> Data Point (In)

------> Data Point (Out) ------> Router

Since you mentioned that you're experiencing a speed drop which connected directly on your data point (Out) but not when you connect directly to the VeONT, perhaps it got to do with your cabling work,

Like the type of cable used, preferbably cat5e and above. You could probably get someone to check for you on these area. Might solve your issues.

“Dogs are wise. They crawl away into a quiet corner and lick their wounds and do not rejoin the world until they are whole once more.”
—Agatha Christie

Respected Advocate
Solution

@mormort, You're welcome, do note that the length of the cable layed affect the signal strength as well.

“Dogs are wise. They crawl away into a quiet corner and lick their wounds and do not rejoin the world until they are whole once more.”
—Agatha Christie

19 REPLIES 19
Veteran
Solution

You should do a wired speed test (preferably with computer wired direct to the ONT).

That will be your baseline.

<100Mbps for 5GHz wifi is on the low side but wifi speeds depends on a lot of variables like router, firmware, client device used, etc.

Senior Commentator

Indeed i have done a test after the recommendation. i can hit around 800 Mbps.

My fibre point is located near my front door, where i connect it to the fibre modem and then connected it to an input point via ethernet cable. The output point is located at 1 end of my living room.

When i do a test directly via ethernet cable from the output point. I could only achieve around 80 Mbps, which is the same via WIFI connection.

That mean after the extended connection point, the speed drop almost 10X. I did not notice it as previously my connect speed was not that high.

Is there any expert could advise me?? is it due to the wiring was not done properly in bwteen the two point? Or as the wire connection is longer, the speed will drop gradually ?

Thank in advances.

Respected Advocate
Solution

@mormort, I believe your connection is as below:

Fibre Termination Point ------> Voice-enabled Optical Network Terminal (VeONT) -----> Data Point (In)

------> Data Point (Out) ------> Router

Since you mentioned that you're experiencing a speed drop which connected directly on your data point (Out) but not when you connect directly to the VeONT, perhaps it got to do with your cabling work,

Like the type of cable used, preferbably cat5e and above. You could probably get someone to check for you on these area. Might solve your issues.

—Agatha Christie

Senior Commentator

Thank you for your advise.

I am already using cat5e cable to do the testing.

Does anyone here has any good technician to recommend?

Respected Advocate
Solution

@mormort, You're welcome, do note that the length of the cable layed affect the signal strength as well.

—Agatha Christie

Esteemed Commentator

Dear Mormort,

I would like to recommend BTO Home Networking.

Link to their FaceBook page: https://www.facebook.com/networking.bto?ref=br_tf

Using iPhone 6, my dl speed is 290+ on 5Ghz Wifi.

Using laptop (wireless n), my dl speed is 170-210+ on 5Ghz Wifi.

So your Wifi speed seems a bit slow.

Wired 800+ is within StarHub specs, I get about 900+ for wired.

(Lan cabling was done by BTO Home Networking.)

My understanding is that good lan cable maintains the speed even if cabling is long.

1 Gbps.jpg

Hope you can check your cabling successfully.

Regards.

Senior Contributor

mine is the same.

most of the time upload is 125mbps and download is 97mbps.

Have the Dlink router changed but problem is the same.

Grand Guru

@mormort

I suspect it is because of the IP Address.

You can refer to my post before this.

Anyway i copy over here..

Please do note that you need to reset certain setting - IP Address.

Broadband customers each has an "static" IP Address.
BUT the IP Address is NOT Permanent to a particular broadband customer.
This is what i found out.

If you are satisfied with the current speed, then don't bother.
This is for in case your speed is somewhat just like your previous plan,
if you doing upgrade, it mean the IP Address remain same.
And you need to know  about computer setting.

In your case, most probably is the IP Address is still the same as previous plan.

I do not have much knowledge on these matters.

Well, you could try and see whether it is true or not.

Steps:
1. Use ONE computer to do this only, while other devices using connection, disable it first.
2. Windows OS. Start -> Computer -> right click select "Manage"
3. Select "Device Manager" (under System Tools).
4. Network adapters. (1) Ethernet Controller (2) Wireless; you need right-click to "Disable"
5. Shutdown the all computers & devices (disable wireless), including ONT & Router.
6. The reason is to release the IP Address, and then grab another IP Address for 1Gbps.
7. Give some time, and then finally, switch on ONT, then Router. (Individual)
8. When the Router has fully lights (stable), then Switch ON for one computer.
9. You can use either wireless or wired to start with. For wired, insert the cat5e cable first before ON the pc.
10. For wireless, on the computer, go back to steps 2 to 3, then 4 is to "Enable".
11. For wired, after plug in cat5e/6 cable, switch on and do the same.
12. Do speed test, and verify the IP Address.

This is what i found out when my connection almost less than 10Mbps.

And the IP Address have changed.

Most probably the IP Address is intend for 500Mbps.

That is to say, Starhub could have allocated certain IP Address to different speed.

Hope this works for you.

Senior Contributor

Thanks Eric, will try again.

Btw Starhub technician had came to my place to test it also.

The speed is inconsistent and suspect it is router issue (Starhub provide Dlink DIR-868L).

I did went down to Dlink service centre and Dlink replaced the router 2 weeks ago but the problem still the same.

The funny part is Starhub tech support called me yesterday that it is free router from starhub and they can't help much.

My question to Starhub that it is not a free router, i need to blind with 2 years contact in order to get the free router. So Starhub need to make sure that the router provide can meet the speed that we have subscribe right?