Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Home Networking

Highlighted
Trusted Commentator

Home Networking

Hi Starhub,

I am using the 1Gbps fibre broadband.

The access point is set in the bedroom. The house is wired with ethernet cables routing from the bedroom to other locations. I wish to relocate the router to the living room and broadcast the wireless signal from the living room instead.

Can I do as such:

1) Connect the built in ethernet cable (the living room port) directly to the ONT.

2) Connect the router to the living room port.

3) Transmit wireless signal from router.

Can I also directly connect the other ethernet cables to the ONT as the router is now in the living room to use the internet at the other locations?

If the above is not feasible, please advise another method as I don't wish to broadcast the wifi from the bedroom.

Thanks,

Derrick

Kiang Jiu Ho, Mai Gei Kiang
8 REPLIES 8
Alumni (Retired)

Re: Home Networking

Hi DSeah, 

The ONT needs to be connected to the Termination Point (TP) via a fibre patch cable so I would suggest you try the following:

1)      Leave the ONT in your bedroom connected to your TP with its yellow fibre patch cable

2)      Connect the ONT’s Port 1 (Default) to your bedroom’s Ethernet port (I assume that the Ethernet cabling terminates in your living room)

3)      Bring your router to your living room and connect its WAN port to terminating end of your bedroom Ethernet cabling.

4)      Your router will now be broadcasting from the living room.

Let us know if this helps Smiley Happy

Trusted Commentator

Hi Wei Hao,

As you suggested, the router is located in the living room and broadcasting from there. This is solved.
Can you help with the other part of the problem? How do I connect the other ethernet cables in the bedroom; those that link to other parts of the home?

Regards,
Derrick
Grand Guru

Hi  @DSeah

Do mapping of the existing layout, include ethernet cable, so that others may understand.

This is to avoid assumption.

This is what i assumed your existing layout.

Bedroom 1

TP --->> ONT --->>----Router --4 ports----->> ----Port 1 ethernet cable = Bedroom 1

|

|______>> Port 2 eithernet cable = Bedroom 2

|

|_____>> Port 3 ethernet cable = Bedroom 3

|

|______>> Port 4 ethernet cable = Living room.

On your current layout, try do broadcast the wireless signal, is to check if the signal strong enough or not.

If it is acceptable, then you can go with current layout.

As you wrote here, this could means that the signal is no good.

Normally, it is not good to have the ethernet cable between ONT and Router too long.

And for the fibre cable, meaning connection between TP and ONT should be a short cable.

This is why  @Ng Wei Hao mentioned on point 1.

Do post your map here and also what & how you want to connect.

In this way, someone may able to assist you on your ideal layout.

Trusted Commentator

Home Network Map.png

As shown after following Wei Hao's suggested setup, there are 5 other points that need to be connected for internet access. How can I do this?

Derrick

Alumni (Retired)

Hi DSeah,

This is just my personal take on this matter and on a side note, StarHub support does not give such extensive solution.

From your diagram, your structured cabling terminates in bedroom 1, which is pretty uncommon. You can still put your router at port 6 but you will need to:

1) Purchase a 8-port unmanaged network switch

2) Connect Ethernet 1 to 5 from Bedroom 1 to the switch

3) Connect a long ethernet cable from either of the 4 LAN ports of the router to the switch in bedroom 1.

4) You should now be able to surf at the rest of the ethernet ports in the house.

Hopefully you'll solve the problem. =)

Grand Guru

Hi  @DSeah 

As per what  @Ng Wei Hao mentioned.

1) Purchase a 8-port unmanaged network switch

I have bought this network switch from Challenger for $50.00 (i paid $45 as member).

"D-Link, 8-Port Gigabit Easy Desktop Switch" with power adapter. Model:  DGS-1008A

All the 8 ports are in auto-switch, which you can use any 1 port for router/ONT.

Did test it, it is good & PnP.  Prepare for my new flat. Also bought a 20 metres lan cable, in case needed.

Next issue is for connection from ONT to the router in the living room.

I notice you have 2 ethernet cabling on point #4 & #5 are next to each other.

Maybe you could use #4 to connect to the router any use the router port 1 for connect to #5.

In this way, in your bedroom 1, the ONT ethernet cable to #4 ethernet cabling. 

Ethernet cabling #5 out in room 1, connect to the Switch.

Hence you can connect others ethernet cabling to this switch.

Then both #4 and #5 which you may use for connection to 2 PC, then connect using the Router ports.

TP & ONT in room1, use #4 lan -->> #4 out -->> Router IN -->port1 (any 4) -->> #5 ethernet cabling

---->> #5 out room 1 -->> Switch (any port) --->> connect the rest of available ethernet cabling.

Trusted Commentator

Thanks Eric and Wei Hao for your replies.

Yet to buy the switch but I have been to challenger a few times to recce.

Went to their store at amk hub yesterday.

There was no more D-link DGS-1008A.

Instead they have TP-Link TL-SG1008D ($39) and TP-Link TL-SG108 ($43).

Both are 8-port gigabit switches.

Which one is more suitable?

Derrick

Grand Guru

Hi  @DSeah

I had check with the staff at Challenger.

1.  TP-Link TL-SG1008D  is the same function as the Dlink.

2.  TP-Link TL-SG108 is slightly difference.

This Device will shared the bandwidth for those devices connected to the ports, only for devices connect to the port is turn on.

It is like dividing the bandwidth across all the ports, which is active (ex. if 2 PCs are turn on)

Let say, port-1 to PC and port-2 to TV.

If the PC is downloading files, the Device will detect "Auto" that the port-1 need more bandwidth.

The device auto give port-1 more bandwidth.

If other devices are not turn on, this Device will not provide any bandwidth, where port-1 & port-2 will share the bandwidth.

Until it detect another device is turn on.

It is something like, auto detect which devices require for more bandwidth, then the Device will manage.

For item 2 which is TP-Link TL-SG108.

For this Device, it can function as the other 2 Devices, and the additional is the software control.

As this is software control, you can select which port to have a higher bandwidth, permanent/fix.

Of course you can change, as it is software control.

Hence, there are 2 options, either software control or Device manage, just like to other 2 Devices.

This is what the staff told me early, when i want to Challenger at Funan, last night.

Hence it is your decision.

For me, i don't have devices that required fixed amount of bandwidth, let the Device decide.

I bought the DLink, as it seem that Starhub uses only DLink devices.

Also, i do have extra routers, which may use it as secondary repeater/bridge, a simply set-up.

Thanks for reading.

Eric.