cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Help with new user

New Commentator

Help with new user

Hi to all

New subscriber to Starhub's 1 Gbps, and using the DIR-868L router that came with it. Got a couple of questions, hope for some clarification

- Is the speed of 200+mbps via wifi normal for the 1 Gbps plan? the router is near to me in the same room, and not blocked by much, just slight by the side of a TV. Speed test several times, but it always about the same speed.

- Should i update the firmware, currently using the 1.03SHC that came with it. If i should, which version should i go for?

- Any setting i should do to increase the wifi speed?

Thanks alot in advance.

4 REPLIES 4
Grand Guru

Re: Help with new user

Hi  @CedKi

1.  Wifi speed will depend on your devices, mobile handset, etc.

Example; My Note Edge can reach close to 400Mbps. Wifi & mobile data do have different speed.

For laptop using wifi is around 200Mbps+   as my laptop max at 300Mbps. (My plan is 500Mbps.)

Wifi speed also depend on location in your house, as certain area may be affect, hence lower speed.

2.  There is no need to update firmware, unless you are having problem, but should not be.

I am using this DIR-868L straight from the box and the necessary setup & config, if any.

3.  Any setting to increase the wifi speed is the location for your router and the surrounding.

Note:  Router should be place as high as possible, which could have better reception/speed.

There should not be any objects surround the router as it may affect the wifi.

Objects such as cordless phone, microwave oven, etc.

Most objects like cordless phone uses the same frequency 2.4GHz as the router.

But this should not be a problem, as most devices are dual band, meaning both 2.4GHz and 5GHz.

Most current phones are also dual band, and it is best to use the 5GHz to achieve better signal & speed.

The router have 2 SSID, namely 2.4GHz and 5GHz.

So, do select the 5GHz SSID name for connect to phone wifi.

All my devices, phones & laptop are on 5GHz, as my flat has no obstruction on wifi.

For more info:  -> Typical Broadband speed   

Local Speed test  -> Starhub Local Speedtest    

Internation Speed test  ->   Starhub Int'l Speedtest   

Do bookmark on the  Starhub Speedtest and regular monitor the speed.

Welcome to Starhub Community Forum.

-------------------------------------------

I am not Starhub staff &or related to.

Valued Contributor

Hi,

You should try using these :

Wifi security changes to WPA2 - AES

Wifi signal change to 5Ghz

Always use Wifi/ac

On your IP6

Good luck

Regards,

Devy
Grand Guru

Hi  @CedKi

Beside as what  @Devy  

Regarding to wireless.

I usually do these steps, in order to get the 5GHz to activate/connected permanently.

This is for the devices &or PC to get the 5GHz, thru wireless connections.

Device, such as phone.

For 1st activation, go near or next to the Router, that is to get clear signal.

1.  Go to Setting -->  Wifi ->> look for the 2.4GHz username and password input, it connected.

2.  Once the 2.4GHz is saved and activate & connected.

3.  Next, go to Setting --> Wifi ->> look for the 5GHz username and input the password to connect.

That's all.

The reason is that is to include thr 2.4GHz username which once you activate, the password is saved.

And the last 5GHz username will auto select whenever you turn on the wifi in the notification bar on top.

This is the phone will remember that which username which is last used.

So, the last used is 5GHz, the next time onward, it will selected to connect.

That is no need to go to the Setting - wifi to select and connect.

Basically, the 2.4GHz username and password are saved, should there is trouble in connection on 5GHz.

Router setting.

I prefer to use the pre-selected username which the router default.

This is because that should the router is acting weird, just press+hold the reset for 15sec (a bit longer than default)

Once your reset, you can do the connection for both wired & wireless.

I used this method, but others have their own method.

For the RESET button, you need a sharp pin to press inside a hole, behind the router, usually it is there.

Esteemed Commentator

Just wanted to share some settings information that I got from the web previously and it works for me.

Wifi on laptop: 230+ is good (likely limited by the adapter).

Lan cable: 913 up to 930+ is good.

iPhone: 280 up to 300+ is good.

For those who like to have Better line throughput, stability, collision free settings in NIC controller.

These setting are based on "Realtek PCIe GBE Family Controller".  Before you do any of these settings make sure you have CAT 6 cable.  Many of u maybe using CAT 5 or 5e. CAT 6 eliminates crosstalks, and system NOISE and have cable performance of up to 250 MHz.

These settings will not be helpful if u dont have CAT 6 cable.  Its cheap u can buy it 1 meter costs only 60rs for branded ones it costs 250rs.  Make sure u have CAT 6 in straight through MODE.

First Go to COM port settings. MAKE SURE YOU HAVE LATEST REALTECH ETHERNET DRIVER ,for this particluar NIC.

Start>type "Device Manager">Ports>Communication PORT (make changes to the one ur broadband uses).chage settings to these values. (port setting TAB).

Bits per SEC : 128000

DATA Bits : 8

Parity : NONE

Stop BITS : 1

Flow Control : Hardware

(Restart ur PC to make changes)

After you done this,go to " Network and Sharing Center" , Local area connection or "Ethernet(in WIN 8) go to properties then NETworking TAb and click CONFIGURE and tweak these values.

Auto disable Gigabit (disabled),

Flow control (Rx and Tx Enabled)

Energy efficient ethernet or green ethernet (disabled),

Interupt Moderation (Enabled)

IPv4 Checksum Offload (Rx and Tx enabled),

Jumbo Frame (Disabled) - this is very important

Large Send Offload v2 (IPv4) (Disabled)

Large Send Offload v2 (IPv6) (Disabled)

network Address (Not present)

Priority and VLAN (Both Enabled)

receive buffers (512),

recieve side scaling (Enabled)

Shutdown Wake on LAN (enabled),

Speed and duplex (100MBPS full DUPLEX) (This setting allows collition free environment thus enable stable data transfers, i always recomend full duplex)

TCP Checksum offload(IPv4) (Disabled),

TCP Checksum offload(IPv6) (disabled),

Transmit buffers (128),

UDP Checksum offload(IPv4) (disabled),

UDP Checksum offload(IPv6) (disabled),

Wake on Magic Packet (enabled),

Wake on Pattern Match (enabled),

WOL & Shutdown Link Speed (100 Mbps first)

IMPORTANT NOTE : IF u disable all offloading feature it will reduce the CPU usage a LOT (This will help the people who has older generation processors ,if u have fast processor leave all TCP and UDP checksum offload settings to (Rx and Tx enabled) except large send offload setting which always should be disabled.