cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Help on 1Gbps Fibre broadband

Esteemed Contributor

Help on 1Gbps Fibre broadband

Hi all,

i just subscribe to 1Gbps think around a month ago.

Recently found that the speed is way lagging. So I try like to check the speed by direct connect to ont and found that it not able to achieve more than 100mbps. 

9 REPLIES 9
Senior Advisor

Re: Help on 1Gbps Fibre broadband

http://www.howtogeek.com/165321/why-you-probably-arent-getting-the-internet-speeds-youre-paying-for-...

As the article says... h/w issue? time of the day? congestion? Distance?

My speedtest is much slower at nights, but still manageable.

Guess I will stick with my 100Mbps for a while.

Esteemed Contributor

Yes we all know that we aren't subscribing the actual speed we'll get. But getting 100bps vs 1Gbps is one tenth of the speed even starhub has promised. 

If in this case, regret changing from cable broadband to fiber. Last time cable bb seems more stable...

Valued Commentator

What is your connection speed ?

Howto => http://www.wikihow.com/See-Active-Network-Connections-(Windows)
Honored Contributor

Could be your network card on your pc.  Is it a Gigabit card?  Are you using a Cat6 cable?

Esteemed Contributor

Currently using macbook to try out. Before was ok can reach 500-600mbps. Have try to resit the fiber optic and the network to the ont  intermittently can exceed 500 plus. So not sure is the ont port or the fiber optic side

Senior Advisor

Maybe SH is throttling our internet speed?

Valued Advocate

@Eddie_Lim wrote:

Currently using macbook to try out. Before was ok can reach 500-600mbps. Have try to resit the fiber optic and the network to the ont  intermittently can exceed 500 plus. So not sure is the ont port or the fiber optic side

@Eddie_Lim
If previously can reach 500-600mbps but now only 100Mbps using the same hardware, then most likely it's the RJ45 ; aka LAN cable faulty. Test ALL the LAN cables used by connect directly to ONT to determine the culprit !

-----------------------------------------
I am not Starhub staff, neither am I related to her competitors...
I'm simply kay-poh :-J
Esteemed Contributor

Have swapped using the same network cable several times sometime can/cannot. Maybe is the ont port or the fiber optic cable. Like to check starhub will replace the optic cable to the ont if spoilt ? or if the ont port spoilt ?

Phb
Honored Contributor

Have you tried switching everything off and waiting 3 mins before starting it again? Router, ONT and your laptop.

I get this as well from time to time.