GreenR Community|The Community Run by You
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

HELP - URGENT ADIVCE NEEDED - REPLACE my STARHUB DLINK DIR 868L with ASUS AC2400 or AC1900

Honored Contributor

HELP - URGENT ADIVCE NEEDED - REPLACE my STARHUB DLINK DIR 868L with ASUS AC2400 or AC1900

The range for the "free" router from Starhub is really not good for my house - place in the middle of the living room - can't reach the master bedroom around 15 meters away.

Extender is too troublesome as it keeps getting turned on and off and the speed is not good. 

So i'm thinking of risking it and spending a over $300 router like an Asus Ac68 or the new AC87.

PLEASE advise if this is a good idea or a waste of money?

2 REPLIES 2
Respected Advocate

Re: HELP - URGENT ADIVCE NEEDED - REPLACE my STARHUB DLINK DIR 868L with ASUS AC2400 or AC1900

@cwlim , range of router usually not only depends on the router itself but also the things that in it path.

For example, a normal AC router "by right" should be able to achieve up to 40m in its rage with ZERO interference. But due to technology, every electronic would affect the signal of the router especially microwave or wireless phone.

even brick wall affect the signal depending on the density of the wall as well as the concealed cable and the metal hiding inside the wall.

My best recommendation would be if you're willing  to spend abit then you could engage a contractor to create a data point in the house with at least 1 near your router and the other one at the place you would like to place your second router. after that, you could purchase a second router and use it as an access point for your internet connection which usually solve most of the issue.

“Dogs are wise. They crawl away into a quiet corner and lick their wounds and do not rejoin the world until they are whole once more.”
—Agatha Christie
Grand Guru

Re: HELP - URGENT ADIVCE NEEDED - REPLACE my STARHUB DLINK DIR 868L with ASUS AC2400 or AC1900

@cwlim

As mentioned by  @SuperDog  which i do agree.

The main point is how and where you place your wireless Router.

Router should be placed higher the better; and if you notice on top of Singtel Comcenter where antenna are.

Around the router, there should not have any object &or wireless (frequency) equipment such as microwave.

The best area is near to your ONT &or cable modem, at the center of your sitting room where it is the common location.

For example.

The fibre TP is at the center of my sitting room (my specific location when NLT do the installation) with main power point.  

I had an old high desktop on the table, and i put the ONT & Router on top, which is about 2M high.  

As my laptop is in my bedroom as there is a wall between laptop and router.

The laptop is on the table, as it is important to have the computers lower than the router for better reception.

I am using 500Mbps, but my laptop max 300Mbps, and most of the time the speed is between 200 to 250 Mbps, which i am satisfied.

There are nothing near or around or any other object block between router and laptop at the room, as only 1 brick wall.

I am using Starhub free router DLink DIR-865L, and using 5GHz.

Suggest you to play around your location for router to see the better reception.

Remember one basic rule; If any devices &or equipment do have use frequency should not be placed near to the router &or between router and computer.

Even if you able to spend $300, then do as what  @SuperDog  suggest, as that is the best solution to all your problem.

Do take note that is to use ethernet cable as this is much better than fibre cable.

DO NOT use fibre cable to connection & run thru, as fibre cable can be easily damaged, and replace will be additional headache.

I done that before (previous flat) getting a Starhub contractor to do all the wiring on both CableTV & Ethernet, running from next to the main door window, extend to the opposite corner 1 point, and another to inside the bedroom plus an additional Starhub Set-top box for TV. Total cost $150 for 3 points (10+yrs ago).

Hope this help you to consider carefully as buying another router may not solved your problems.