StarHub Community|The Community Run by You
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Fiber internet connection dropping shortly after signing up

Senior Commentator

Fiber internet connection dropping shortly after signing up

I have recontract and upgrade to Fiber 1000 due to the frequent disconnecting problem with cable.

However even with Fiber the connection is wierd, at times it says DNS timeout or at times the website cannot be access and it indicate page takes too long to load.

This happen for Youtube, Facebook and even starhub page.

What could be wrong?

7 REPLIES 7
Grand Guru

Re: Fiber internet connection dropping shortly after signing up

Hi  @Max Sim

Here is some of the methods you can try, as it works for me.

1.  The yellow fibre cable between the TP and ONT.

At both green end of this fibre cable, push in firmly, no force.

Alternately remove and push it in firmly, no force (only 1 direction)

The technician did told me that this yellow fibre cable is quite sensitive.

So if too long, use bigger loop and tie it loosely.

2.  Do switch off both ONT & Router, and ensure there is no devices connected either wireless or wired.

Wait for some time before switch on both ONT and router.

If still the same, switch off longer period, hours.

2.1.  The reason is that IP Address is not permanent.

By leaving a longer period being switch off, then you may have another IP Address.

IP Address will be stated in any speedtest.

Use Starhub speed test.

Local Speedtest

International Speedtest

Once the speed is close to my plan 500Mbps, i do not switch off both ONT and router.

These is from what i do, troubleshooting myself.

--------------------------------------

I am not Starhub staff &or related to.

Administrator

Hi Max, should the issue continue to persist after the troubleshooting steps that @eric3743 has shared, drop me a private message with your StarHub Account number, NRIC/FIN, mobile number and email address so that we can get in touch. 

Respected Commentator

I have a similar situation experienced by Max Sim with the new 1000m broadband line except that I enjoyed the crushing speed for the first one month until just a week ago. I have experienced a slow down started a week ago and then constant disruption since yesterday. Now I am unable to watch my live stock prices and execute trading. I am also unable to watch my Facebook video streaming albeit are small video clips.

in all fairness, I didn't have the problem in the past when I was using the fiber broadband at 200m speed. As soon as I was eligible for a recontract of service, I decided to upgrade to 1000m simply because of the free six-month promotion on the understanding that it would be a better deal. It now appears that, with the many issues raised in this community, I could be wrong. 

As as a matter of fact, I am using a 3G mobile service to send this note since the home broadband is so slow that I can even pull out this community page. This is a complete service failure as I see it. As a computer engineer by training, I have tried all possible tests and diagnostics at my end and I can confirm the source is the issue that is beyond my control as a consumer.

may I have my old humble 200m broadband service back please so I can stay on as a StarHub customer?

thnak you.

Administrator

Hi @muso, thanks for the details, please send me a PM with your StarHub Account number, registered name, NRIC/FIN, email and contact number so that we can get in touch. Thank you 

Respected Commentator

My Account No: 1.13782072T

Grand Guru

Hi  @Muso

Please do remove your personal details as this is an open forum.

On the right side of your post next the the date/time, click on the arrow and select "Edit Post".

Please do remove it asap.

To PM (private message) to the forum staff, on the right side of @Jolene_L post, click on  "Send a private message" and input your details.

----------------------------------------

I am not Starhub staff &or related to.

Respected Commentator

Thank you for the reminder. The reply button came with the email notification was misleading. Didn't realize it was a reply in public. Thanks again.