Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

FOC Fibre broadband Home gateway

Highlighted
Senior Advisor

FOC Fibre broadband Home gateway

Hi

Anyone can advise, which is better choice to select for wireless fibre home gateway, Huawei 256 or Dlink 5402? after reading so many about the maxinfinity, seems like the speed isn't stable. wondering should I recontract from maxonline cable to maxinfinity fibre. Anyone can convince me that maxinfinity is still reliable? Thank you.

40 REPLIES 40
Highlighted
Hub Expert

Re: FOC Fibre broadband Home gateway

The Huawei is no longer available. May I suggest opting for Direct ONT instead, forgoing the gateway, taking the free 3000 points instead, and purchasing a router of your choice from a retailer of your choice?

My posts represent ONLY my own opinions.
Highlighted
Senior Advisor

Hi Varun,
Thanks for responding, do you have any recommendation brand /model for Direct ONT? I am new to this Fibre thingy and not sure how this Direct ONT goes about, hope you can explain in detail especially on installation. By the way if I were to get the Direct ONT do I still need a wireless router for my whole house? Thanks
Highlighted
Hub Expert

DreamerChin: DirectONT refers to the approach where you buy your own wifi router and plug it into the ONT (the ONT is a device that converts the optical fibre signal into an electrical network signal). The typical StarHub connection is currently like this:

fibre -> TP (termination point) -> ONT -> D-Link5402 RG (wifi, LAN ports, voice port)

Direct ONT goes like this:

fibre -> TP -> ONT -> wifi router (not the 5402). For voice, you'd use your existing voice-enabled cable modem plugged into a StarHub Cable point. If you already have a voice-enabled cable modem, you can avoid adding the 5402 and get 3000 rewards points instead, which you could use (for example) to set off your bill.

As an alternative, you can do this:

fibre -> TP -> ONT -> D-Link5402 RG -> wifi router

In this case, voice would go through the D-Link5402 but for wifi you'd use your own wifi router (and disable the wifi on the 5402). The advantage is you can use the 5402 for voice rather than using a cable modem.

BUT if you already have a voice-enabled cable modem, the Direct ONT approach is better as (a) you can use the voice-enabled cable modem you already own and (b) you can get 3000 points instead of the D-Link5402.

In terms of which wifi router to buy, I suggest the following:

a) look at the wifi routers in the StarHub Partners Program - those are cheaper than "open market" wifi routers

b) if you decide to go to the open market instead, the routers that are currently popular with the advanced technology people include the Asus N66 and Asus N56. I would also suggest looking at the D-Link 865L, the D-Link 868L, and the Apple Extreme AC.

Do note that if you're going with the Direct ONT approach, you MUST inform StarHub of the same at the time of signing up else you won't get the 3,000 points.

Also, as a gentle reminder, Comex is next week... :-)

- V.

Highlighted
Senior Advisor

Hi Varun,
So if I were to go for Direct ONT, will starhub install the ONT and my own wifi router (not foc 5402)for me? or I need to do it myself? Btw, is the setup easy or any connection diagram for the connection? Thanks
Highlighted
Hub Expert

StarHub will install the ONT. Strictly speaking, the wifi router's your responsibility - but they're more or less plug-and-play these days with no special settings other than setting your wifi name and putting in a WPA2 password... As a guidenline, took me < 2 minutes to get my Extreme AC working. Took even lesser to get the D-Link 865 / 868 working (they come with stickers / cards showing the default network name and password... enter these and you're running immediately). You'll plug in a network cable (ensure it's Cat 5e or Cat 6) from Port 1 of the ONT into the WAN port of your router (don't worry if it sounds confusing - all ports are clearly labeled).

From what I've seen so far, the HubTrooper who comes to install your fibre service would generally be willing to help out so long as it doesn't take more than a few minutes. I can't commit this though... formally, "services" are chargeable.

Highlighted
Senior Advisor

Hi Varun,
Just wish to hear from your opinion, would it be better for me to stick back to maxonline(Cable) instead of switching to fibre? seems like fibre is still very unstable. Thanks
Highlighted
Hub Expert

What makes you think fibre is unstable? I'm on fibre - no real-world issues. WAY faster than cable (symmetric upload plus speeds beyond 100m).

Esteemed Advisor

Hi DreamerChin,
I have been on StarHub cable (last speed was 50 Mbps) for many years before switching to Fibre. It is definitely faster and until I replaced with my own router, a very stable Fibre. You should definitely go for it.

Hi Varun,
I think my chance of returning the DVG 5402 is fading fast after 4 months. Any possibility that we can either trade in for 3,000 points or allow us to do an early recontract without penalty? Please think how we customer feel when I paid the $100+ for DVG 5402 (in order to enjoy Fibre) and only to keep in the storeroom a week later. So far, you are the closest to answering this query as others shun this request which I have been lobbying hard for. It is a very much cheaper alternative to the trial router and barely cover a month of the subscription. Beside, I believe you can give an answer to DLink based on the number of returns and seek compensation. Action speaks louder than words.
Highlighted
Home Networking Expert

Fibre is not unstable. What is unstabe is the D-Link RG given by Starhub. This creates a general opinion that fibre is unstable and don't use it ( I heard some auntie telling this to my cousin. Thanks to Starhub ). If you are on direct ONT then no issues for now as the network deployment started quite some time ago.