cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

EXTREMELY DISAPPOINTED WITH STARHUB FIBRE 1GBPS

Highlighted
Trusted Advocate

Re: EXTREMELY DISAPPOINTED WITH STARHUB FIBRE 1GBPS

I can appreciate how frustrated you are and certainly strange that the ookla site is showing completely different results, that really doesn't make sense, I tried both on my connection and get very similar results from both of them, around 490mbps both ways on a 500mbps plan.

You have probably tried all the following but just for completeness..

1. Have you tried swapping the ethernet cable?

2. Are you using a direct ethernet port on the PC or via a USB adapter?

3. What is the rated speed of the ethernet port on the PC (or adapter), 100mbps or 1Gb?  See my earlier post on what speeds you can realistically expect using an adapter.

4. How do you have DNS setup on the PC, is it using the Starhub DNS servers or set to use another?  Have you tried setting them to 8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4 (Google) - Do this on the PC as this will be used in preference to anything set on the router.

5. Have Starhub come out and tested the connection with their own laptop?

If you connect wireless with your phone and run the speed test what sort of numbers do you get from that, even the most basic phone should give way faster than the 5mbps you are experiencing.

Just going back to to the speed difference between the two sites, this might suggest something intermittent and that would normally point to a poor connection on the Starhub side, given that they should really send a competant tech over to fully diagnose the connection. If you have eliminated all potential problems on your side of the connection (and they can't get full speed either on their own laptop) then it's becomes obvious where the problem lies.

Highlighted
Trusted Commentator

About 2 weeks ago, starhub technician came over to diagnose the issue. On his laptop he got a 700 wired. I dont why or how. And then he uses his phone...it dropped to 200 wireless. But he said its because its an old smartphone. Funny because i have a newer smartphone with cat6connection which also gives me about 200 on a 5ghz band. I have a mini pc with gigabyte ethernet port also giving me a 200+ wired connection. My Ps4 with gigabyte connection is giving me 170 on wired connection. My other media device which are wired connection is giving me max 120. Now i have been swapping my cables here n there and they are all giving me the same results. But bear this in mind...all the devices i have used to clocked in between 260 - 280 wired when we are on 300mbps speed without breaking a sweat. Now...its all going down on a 1gbps speed. The technician speed more than 2hrs trying to do what he knows best until he sat down and stare at my tv looking at the results. He admit that there is something seriously wrong with the connection. Now i may not be that tech savvy....but i geniunely dont think its my device. I seriously think its the connection on starhub end. If it does comes from my end, i think its the ont is faulty. It is really getting on my nerves as starhub doesnt seems to care enough to handle this matter. Ive send them the screenshot about 3 days ago and they have yet to give me a call regarding this.

Highlighted
Trusted Commentator

at least they spend hours with you trying to resolve the problem.  I subscribe 1Gbps but getting only 50%.

They send technician down who just link to their MAC notebook and do a speedtest and left 15 mins later saying nothing wrong with the line and nothing they can do.  And they want to charge me $50 service fee.

I am totally upset with this kind of service thinking of my problems still not resolved and they still want to charge.

Highlighted
Respected Contributor

Yes i can feel you. I am also subscribed to 1gbps, and getting only 30 to 40% speed. The tech came, plug in theirs and say no problem, say is my laptop problem due to the LAN adapter. But i don't believe what they say, I went to my friend's house, plug in same cable and LAN adapter, i am getting 800+ close to 900. My friend's house is using Singtel! I am thinking of switching to Singtel for good. Starhub is full of bull**bleep**, thinking customers are stupid.
Highlighted
Trusted Commentator

I dont really know what they are thinking here.  They seems to be pushing hard to sell the 1Gbps to customers and yet many customers are not able to achieve the recommended speed.

Are they really so dumb enough not to see the growing issue or simply ignorant?  Been with starhub for more than 8 yrs in broadband, my confidence in them is also starting to shake.  

Question is you are being sold a 1Gbps product but u only get half of what you paid for.  and Starhub make this like your issue and not theirs as long as they show they can hit 700 in thier notebook.

Advice for all new customers to avoid 1Gbps until they really sort this issue out....

Highlighted
Respected Contributor

I am also with them since the roll out of the cable connection. My new house is coming and I will definitely not subscribe to ANY Starhub services. And to all other people who are reading this, if your contract is up, don't think anymore, just Switch to other companies. Don't waste ur time and money like us here. Starhub is not going to do anything, they will just push the blame to ur devices and want to try their luck charging u the $30. If you make noise, they will say out of good will, we will waive this time round *puke*. The fact is that they cannot even resolve the issue, simply say ur device problem.
Highlighted
Trusted Advocate

This is a completely different subject but just to state a point, I'm actually a bit amazed that anyone would pay to subscribe to plans above 200 or 300mbps (I pay for a 500mbps connection, so I include myself). Just my own view but during normal internet surfing and downloading it would be rare that you'd be connected to a host that could do much better than serve at 200mbps. Subscribing to a 1 Gb plan really does seem a bit pointless and a waste of money.  Having said that you guys are quite correct to complain if you pay for 1Gbps and Starhub can't demostrate to you that they are providing that.  Doing tests against Starhubs own servers and local 3rd party servers should show you that, theoretically, those speeds are achieveable.  In these previous posts it stands out to me that Starhub can't demonstrate this to you and even on their own equipment, connected to the ONT, they can't get those speeds, or even within their own stated tolerances.

Keep in mind that ALL ISPs push higher speed connections at higher prices, in reality and day to day surfing you are paying for bandwidth you never use, people have been duped in to thinking if they pay for greater bandwidth their surfing experience will be faster.  This is not the case, if you are on a 100mbps plan or a 1000mbps plan the net effect to you will probably appear the same.  Even if you do big downloads, it would be rare to see anything faster than 200mbps, from any server, anywhere.

All I can suggest is you insist Starhub demostrate they CAN deliver at a the speed you subscribe to, if they can do that then it will be up to you to tweak your end of the connection to get the same on your equipment.  If they can't then it is definately a strong case for recompense or contract cancellation based upon Starhub failing to deliver on their promise.

It's also worth noting that Starhub have no obligation to troubleshoot your system, but they must clearly demostrate that they are delivering to the ONT as per the your plan.  In all your cases I would say they have failed to do this so I would expect Starhub to step and address and fix your issues.  They standout by their absence to offer comment on this post, hopefully you can get something a bit more official from them or at least a definitive statement on their position in this dispute.  I might go so far as to suggest that if they don't respond it is because they can't.

Highlighted
Trusted Commentator

To me, its simple. It doesnt matter if u spend an hour or two hours or even a day. If the problem isnt fixed, then its not fixed. Trouble is.....they dont even come back to u to tell u the reason why. Worst is when u called them, asking them whats going on.... they will make u do more stuff , like writing to them, send more screenshots. I mean.....WTF???. i keep doing what u want me to do...but none of what i paid for is being delivered. When will all this end? They will keep asking u to do stuff for them. Feels like they are just buying time. RUBBISH SERVICE!!!

Highlighted
Community Manager

Hi

Please leave your details over at http://bit.ly/StarHubQuery in order for us to make arrangement for the necessary relevant team to investigate and assist you further with regards to your fibre broadband.

If my post answers your question, please click on the "Accept as Solution" button!
Highlighted
Trusted Commentator

See what i mean?...make u do that stuff again