StarHub Community|The Community Run by You
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Do I need to buy my own modem & router?

Trusted Commentator

Do I need to buy my own modem & router?

Does Starhub Fibre/Cable broadband come with modem and router or do I have to purchase these on my own?

I have an old modem/router from my previous SingTel contract. After the contract ended, I left for overseas and now I am back and need to get a new broadband plan. Should I keep my SingTel modem/router or will Starhub provide a new set?

Thanks.

Everyone's Tags (2)
7 REPLIES 7
Community Manager

Re: Do I need to buy my own modem & router?

Hi yuhikaru

Rest assured that all customers will be issued a modem (Optical Network Terminal or ONT) when they sign up for a new Fibre Broadband. The router is provided free if you sign up for our 1Gbps Fibre Broadband plan. For details, check out www.starhub.com/broadband?icid=int-31B-StarHubCM-201808-cm-prodSer.

We are not able to confirm if your previous modem/router supports our network. But for optimal results, we recommend using the equipment you've gotten from StarHub.

- Amy
Highlighted
Trusted Commentator

Thanks Amy. So I should just discard my old modem and router and use the set from Starhub, right?
Community Manager

We're experiencing high volumes and thank you for your patience in this interim.

You can continue to retain those as back ups in case anything happens. But it's recommended that you use the equipment issued by us. 

- Amy
Valued Commentator

The current modem is by HuaWei. As per the security concern raised by US government, can we buy our own modem and configure it to connect to StarHub network?
Community Manager

Hi goofydoggy, the modem comes with our broadband plans. You may check our website for available plans, http://www.starhub.com/personal/store/broadband.html 

========================================
Some of my posts are unofficial and may contain personal opinions which may not represent the positions and opinions of StarHub

Has someone helped you?
Say thanks by liking the post.

Has your post been solved?
Let others know by marking the post using the "Accept as Solution" button.

Home is where the ♥ is
Valued Commentator

Hi debbiefa,

I am aware that the modem comes with the plan as I am having it.

Can I buy a non-HuaWei modem and configure it with StarHub's network settings?
Community Manager

The provided ONT is provided by StarHub when you take up our fibre broadband service. The ONT is then paired in our system for use. Currently we're unable to allow customer to self purchase and use ONT. - Simon