Did you mean: 

Data Points

SOLVED
Highlighted
Yvo
New Commentator

Data Points

Hi,

I've been advised by Starhub to install data points in order to get fibre broadband full coverage to my multi-storey house.

Can you please advise who can install data points? And there are telephone and TV points in each room, can we make use of these current points? 

Also, is wireless booster an alternative to data points? 

Many thanks. 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Android™ Expert
Solution

Re: Data Points

Hi Yvo,

I will not recommend a wireless booster. With wireless booster, even though you will be able to access the internet but you will not be able to enjoy the full speed that you are subscribed to. This is due to the limitations of the wireless technology.

Telephone points can be converted but it depends on the wiring. It will be best to get an expert to take a look and advise you. The StarHub Hub troopers will be able to install the data points.

You may PM any of the CSO here for assistance if you wish to engage the Hub Troopers.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
Android™ Expert
Solution

Hi Yvo,

I will not recommend a wireless booster. With wireless booster, even though you will be able to access the internet but you will not be able to enjoy the full speed that you are subscribed to. This is due to the limitations of the wireless technology.

Telephone points can be converted but it depends on the wiring. It will be best to get an expert to take a look and advise you. The StarHub Hub troopers will be able to install the data points.

You may PM any of the CSO here for assistance if you wish to engage the Hub Troopers.

View solution in original post

Home Networking Expert

As incteh mentioned, you can convert all your phone telephone point to network point... provided you no longer use traditional phone line services. As to the speed of these converted phone to network point it will depends on what is the underlying cable. If your house is more than 5-7 years old (and never rewire before), chances are after conversion your network speed using these line is capped at 100Mbps (cat 5 cable, 3pair)

If you have Cat 5E or 6 as the underlying cable, then you'll get up to 1Gbps (today tech).

To use Cable Point, you need MOCA, but it is not licensed to be used in SIngapore yet... but you can still parallel import yourself and then *pray*

Hub Master

If you wish to convert your existing telephone points to data points, you would need to engage external contractors.

On our end, we will install new data points (surface trunking).
========================================
Home is where the ♥ is