Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

DVG-N5402SP

SOLVED
Highlighted
Honored Contributor

Re: Voice of customer - dissatisfied with DVG-N5402SP WIFI speed

In response, below my update.  I'm just a family user so cannot provide any technical info, sori Smiley Sad

Just spent last Sat morning and Sunday afternoon assisting changing various settings, channels and testing speedtest/Starhub.

Moving forward, the only way to go:

1) Bridging with ANOTHER router

SH done this at my home but we faced slower Speedtest readings than before Bridging.  Well, SH was also puzzled.  So be prepared to be disappointed.

Waiting for next course of action.  Meanwhile, live with slower internet. SIGH

Highlighted
Honored Contributor

For me, bridging worked wonders. Results from my previous experiment appended below:

TP-link router (via bridging)

Last Result: Download Speed: 69700 kbps (8712.5 KB/sec transfer rate) 

Last Result: Download Speed: 68689 kbps (8586.1 KB/sec transfer rate)

Last Result: Download Speed: 67563 kbps (8445.4 KB/sec transfer rate)

Last Result: Download Speed: 71461 kbps (8932.6 KB/sec transfer rate)

Dlink router

Last Result: Download Speed: 23108 kbps (2888.5 KB/sec transfer rate) 

Last Result: Download Speed: 19968 kbps (2496 KB/sec transfer rate)

Last Result: Download Speed: 22131 kbps (2766.4 KB/sec transfer rate)

Last Result: Download Speed: 20967 kbps (2620.9 KB/sec transfer rate)

The results were so good that I made the switch to direct ONT. The *ahem* Dlink router is now history.

Perhaps you may want to check the router you used for bridging. Hope this helps.

Highlighted
Honored Contributor

Hi Impelled..that's Good news..
Did u carry out the bridging yourself?
I am not IT inclined so hopefully Starhub could send someone here to help out all users affected..
Highlighted
Hub Master

Hey Tick

As mentioned previously, WiFi is more for convenience and mobility. I certainly understand that WiFi is essential as we using mobile devices like handsets, tablets or handheld consoles. However, no service provider is able to guarantee the speed on WiFi as there are too many factors affecting it.
========================================
Home is where the ♥ is
Highlighted
Hub Master

Hey sfans

Our D-Link Home Gateway is an integrated router for both data and voice service. Hence it cannot be compared to dedicated routers.
Home is where the ♥ is
Highlighted
Hub Master

Hey impeller

Would you like to share with the community on how you enable DMZ on your D-Link Home Gateway and bridge your router to the Home Gateway?
Home is where the ♥ is
Highlighted
Hub Master

Hey all

We are currently in discussion and will provide an solution to our customers soon.

In the meantime, we would appreciate your patience on this matter.
Home is where the ♥ is
Highlighted
Honored Contributor

Hi Kai Boon,

You have provided the steps for bridging in post 17 (reproduced below)

1. Plug the router into port (1-4) of D-Link Home Gateway using a LAN connection.
2. Do a direct connection to D-Link Home Gateway with your PC/Laptop and enter (http://192.168.0.1) in your Internet Explorer.
3. Username : admin, Password : password (default).
4. Please Click on "SETUP" - > "Wireless Setup" - > "Wireless Basic" -> Uncheck on "Enable Wireless LAN Interface" -> "Apply".
5. Please Click on "ADVANCED" - > "Firewall and DMZ" - > "DMZ" -> Check on "Enable DMZ" to enable DMZ feature - > Select the WAN Port and input the IP Address of your router on "DMZ Host IP Address" -> Click on "Apply".
6. The process for Bridge Connection(DMZ) is completed.

Hope to hear SH's "solution" soon.

Highlighted
rye
Respected Contributor

I have two problems with the D-Link router supplied by starhub.

1. Very poor wifi performance. As most of us is complaining... and please stop giving solutions that are not really helping... like "connect using LAN"...

2. No NAT loopback fuction, which is very important function if you are running your own websites and home server.

This hardware (like most) allows me to run a server at home, like NAS or Windows Media@home. They support Dynamic DNS addressing and inbound NAT routing. From outside, while I am at work or from a friends place I can connect to my servers, myddns.homeip.net:90 routes to my NAS (local ip on port 80) and all is great.

But while at home, I have to use an IP address and the local port 80 to talk to it.

OK, this is sort of fine for simple things but the reality is that it is not satisfactory for myself or many others.

With this two problem, I have tried to ask for technical support from starhub and D-Link. Both have no clear answer to my problems Smiley Sad

Starhub, kindly let cunsumer replace the poor D-Link router... there are so many high performance router available in the market that will fit the consumer needs... There is no point at all to have a fast internet connection if you cannot fully utilize it Smiley Sad

Highlighted
Android™ Expert

Let's play a game everyone! It is to guess when will Starhub provide a solution to their customer!

My guess is at least half a year!