cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

DVG-N5402SP

SOLVED
Home Networking Expert

Re: Voice of customer - dissatisfied with DVG-N5402SP WIFI speed

Just to add, cable modem and RG uses almost the same power. RG uses 14W while you have cable modems rated from 4W to 9W. But if you switch off the RG wireless your power consumption is going to be almost same.

Worst case
9W you pay $1.73/month

14W you pay $2.69/Month

Valued Advisor

Hi hayd3ner,

Sad to read your story which is why I'm so apprehensive about my upcoming cable to fibre conversion. It's been four days since my post here and there has been no SH response on this thread and so far it's only been nice fellow subscribers offering advice.

This entire forum is filled with threads highlighting the issues resulting from the underperforming wireless home gateway which first arose 6 months ago and SH is still pushing this box to customers.

You would think common sense and logic should dictate that they stop offering this box or at least tell the customer at sign up of potential wireless issues and offer to do a direct ONT setup. But sadly we are still discussing this issue here and customers are left to encounter and epxerience problems before they are offered direct ONT.

Just hope SH responds soon.

Android™ Expert

Actually you can indicate that you want direct ont during sign up.

The problem is that many customers like myself may not even be savvy enough to do so or have knowledge of the wireless issues until they chance upon this thread. And many only do so after they have encountered the problem and google for information.  Fewer ones like myself come upon this thread post sign up but pre installation.

Android™ Expert

True, I will let the cso know this Smiley Happy

To KaiBoon,

I am converting from cable to fibre (appointment new week), and would like to use a second router to overcome the problems mentioned thus far in this forum/thread.

I like to seek some clarifications on your procedure on Bridging:

QUOTE:

Here are the steps.

1. Plug the router into port (1-4) of D-Link Home Gateway using a LAN connection.
2. Do a direct connection to D-Link Home Gateway with your PC/Laptop and enter (http://192.168.0.1) in your Internet Explorer.
3. Username : admin, Password : password (default).
4. Please Click on "SETUP" - > "Wireless Setup" - > "Wireless Basic" -> Uncheck on "Enable Wireless LAN Interface" -> "Apply".
5. Please Click on "ADVANCED" - > "Firewall and DMZ" - > "DMZ" -> Check on "Enable DMZ" to enable DMZ feature - > Select the WAN Port and input the IP Address of your router on "DMZ Host IP Address" -> Click on "Apply".
6. The process for Bridge Connection(DMZ) is completed.

UNQUOTE

Questions:

1. Do we have to disable DHCP on the new router?
2. Do we have to disable UPnP on the new router?
3. Is it correct that the IP address of the new router can be set as "192.168.0.2" for example?
4. Any other steps we need to do to set up the new router?

Appreciate an early reply.
Android™ Expert

You do not need to disable dhcp and upnp. As for the ip address, just make sure it is not the same as the dlink rg. Preferably 192.168.1.1 for your router and 192.168.0.1 for the dlink rg.

Hi,

Does the airport extreme connect well with direct ONT?

Any configuration settings required on the airport?

Respected Commentator

Hi there new to this community.. ive read the previous post and it defintely helped me Smiley Happy Thanks Guys!!!

Esteemed Commentator

Hi all,

Managed to set up the bridging and I am really happy and satisfied with the results. Was able to get connections in my bedrooms without any problems. Wifi speeds also substantially increased. Really thanks all for your help and assistance. As mentioned, I connected my asus router to the RG and set up the bridging using the steps i got from this forum.

To Starhub: Sincerely hope that you do something about this, come another 2 years, your customers may just decide to switch service providers and you will be the one losing out...

To potential customers switching to fibre: Be prepared to get disappointing and slow Wifi speeds. Hence, you have to find alternatives... and all the best!