cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

DVG-N5402SP

SOLVED
Esteemed Contributor

Re: Voice of customer - dissatisfied with DVG-N5402SP WIFI speed

I am currently using D Link 856L as my main wifi router which is connected to the 5402. Lately I have experience frequency disconnection from the wifi. Anyone experience this before and how can this be resolved?
Grand Guru

Esteemed Contributor

Thanks Eric. But I am referring to the frequent Wifi DC from the 865L. My Lan to Lan set up between 5402 and 865 with 5402 wifi turned off was good until recently only. Now the 865 wifi signal will suddenly disappear and I would be dc from it. It will reappear after awhile. So am asking if this happen to anyone on 865?
Grand Guru

I have no issue with my router & devices (mobile & pc) since day one Jan 2014, it is stable.
It is best to run some test on speed on various devices, and also leave it on for a period as you mention 'disappeared'.

In testing, my laptop did dis-connect or 'disappear' when i am on 2.4GHz. I had to manually de-activate the 2.4GHz and connect to 5GHz.

D-Link 865L have 2 bandwidth namely; 2.4GHz and 5GHz and each have its own SSID.
My router has pre-set SSID and password. Upon complete setup (Jan 2014), the Starhub guy gave a reference card on SSID & password and there is a sticker indicating the same. So i guess i better not change both SSID and Password.
I had upgrade from 200Mbps to 500Mbps in Jan 2015, when i was re-contract of mobile.

-----------------------------------------

Let me explained on testing the router, as someone did said that he did update the firmware, in order to have better speed.
I did some testing to check on why my connection is still same as previous plan.
I need to do testing before any update firmware, if nec. For, say laptop 1 (32bit), i wired directly to the router.
I did a speed test using Starhub speed test. The test speed was around 350Mbps and at one glance when testing, it hit the 400Mbps.
Then i checked the properties, which indicate the max is 1Gbps. So in other word, there is nothing to do with the firmware, at all.

Next for, say laptop 2 (64bit) i use wifi, and using 5GHz.
I did the speed test, and the result is between 150Mbps to 200Mbps, no change, as i commonly use this for surfing.
So, i checked the properties which indicate the max is 300Mbps. So this is why i cannot go >200Mbps.
Even when i am inside the room, it is still able to be between 150Mbps and 200Mbps. I can accept this speed.
When i test on 2.4Ghz in my room, the result is very low around 50Mbps. So, i have to de-activate 2.4GHz on the laptop.
Then i re-set my Samsung S5 wifi to connect to 5GHz. Result speed is 250Mbps (LTE+).

Note:
When doing testing, all other devices that use wireless connection are deactivated. This is important, as it may cause the wifi to slow down.
It is better that the router is placed higher than any devices using wifi. The surrounding of the router should not being block.
Doing testing, it is best done near to the router.

My suggestion to you, is to do some testing. Both wireless and wired.
On the router 865, there should have a sticker indicating 2 SSID, for 2.4GHz and 5GHz.
On the mobile & pc, check which SSID is connected to. Switch between 2.4GHz and 5gHz to see which is better.
Again, it is better to do testing close to the router. Ensure your sifi setting is secured.
Read the post before yours (post by HPL).

Conclusion:
When i switch on my laptop, it auto detect the 2.4GHz.
It did disconnect (disappear) by itself. So i had to manually de-activate 2.4GHz and use 5GHz.
This could resolved the issue about why your connection was disappear at times.

HPL
Respected Contributor

This is the third day of my Direct ONT(HG8240)/DL865 setup. At 10.30am the starhub customer service Mr Syed Muhd Qabir call me to inquire about the setup as he was the one who advise on it. I told him that I am fully satisfied and thankful.
I decided to write again about the progress. Just tested: iPhone 6plus 176/145 with no obstruction and 4 metres away. In my bedroom about 10 metres away with a intervening wooden door :109/82.
My iMac 5K in the same bedroom : 203/86. It was so good that I have transfer the direct connection to my other older iMac. Similar result with the iPad air 2.
The digital voice is working beautifully: my Philip cordless phone set was able to beam the signal sufficiently so that I could use it at the 4th level. But I had to set up the base station on the 2nd level. This was connected by an extension cable to the direct ONT which was at the 1st level.
Thanks Starhub,Syed & Andy for a job well done and the follow up. 👍👍👏👏
Esteemed Contributor

Thx Eric. Yes, most time is the 2.4ghz that "disappear". Let me they your suggestion.

BTW, saw many ppl using direct ONT. Is it troublesome to do it?

Hmm, previously was on singtel but do not have such issues. Maybe should switch back to singtel when my contract expires in 2 mths time. Co too troublesome to deal with such problems.......
HPL
Respected Contributor

Zero problem 'twodollar '. Read my earlier posts. In addition you can connect any brands of routers that you wish except the DVG 5402SP. Everything becomes straightforward. The digital voice can be directly connected to the ONT(HG8240). Good luck to you. Before I forget NO DOWNTIME.
Grand Guru

@ twodollar
For direct ONT, i am not sure as i do not want to test as current setting is very stable.
I only did swap the 2.4Hz and 5GHz. After some time, on 2.4GHz the connection lost "disappear".
So i manually fix at 5GHz, with connection speed between 150Mbps to 200Mbps.
Esteemed Contributor

Found out that actually its not the 2.4ghz that always "disappear" suddenly. Its actually the 5ghz connection. Is there something wrong with the DLink 865 WiFi router?

Frustrating to DC whenever I am in the midst of streaming or while my bro is gaming.
Honored Contributor

hi,
mind share me where do u get the dd-wrt for DVG-N5402SP ? trying to recycle my router..
thanks