Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

DVG-N5402SP

SOLVED
Highlighted
Android™ Expert

Re: Voice of customer - dissatisfied with DVG-N5402SP WIFI speed

Hi GeorgeLaiLiao

We understands how wifi works. The router that SH has provided runs on 802.11n, with 20MHz bandwidth most of the time. That translates to 65mbps speed. There are alot of other routers in the mass market that is far more capable which costs less than $100 and Starhub claims that their router U.P is $200+ just because of the VoIP?

We are looking at starhub to solve this issue because we have already read, tried and experimented with various other routers via bridging. There is only one conclusion, which is that the router has low performance capabilities. It has weak signal, and low bandwidth.

Everyone understands that using a LAN cable with at least cat5e category will be the best for MIF, but that does not explain why SH provided us with a sub-performance router.

I think you should be the one reading up.

I don't think you've read all the comments GeorgeLaiLiao

We all know that we can use LAN cable, but it's not always convenient.  In my case Starhub put the connection (against my request) behind a cupboard in a different room to my office and I would have to sit on the floor to get a LAN cable connected!  Not a good way to conduct business!

Highlighted
Android™ Expert

To add on, its not just the slow wifi speed we are complaining. It is the fact that starhub did nothing to warn us about its poor capabilities, and also did nothing for the past few months to try to rectify it. If you can live with your lan cable, just continue to do so.

As more wireless products are surfacing, like the upcoming xperia z and S4, these devices are capable of 1080p FHD display. A poor router will only slows down your buffer speed of 1080p video streams. As a NMC, starhub should be looking forward to technological developments.

Now, I feel like an idiot who signed up a 100mbps plan but given a wifi that only runs 40mbps, when peers with other ISP using different router with single 2.4GHz band running at 80mbps.

Hey JudyB, IncTEh and GeorgeLaiLiao

Shall we discuss the matter in a amicable manner?

Rest assured that StarHub is looking into this matter and we will provide an update on the status soon.

Stay tuned Smiley Happy

========================================
Home is where the ♥ is
Highlighted
Android™ Expert

Hi KaiBoon,

How are we suppose to discuss this matter in a amicable manner if, after a few months, we have seen no results?

Suppose you bought a PC, and only after purchasing it you realised that the dedicated graphic cards in the description is a sub-standard graphic card that is at least 2 years old in technology history, wouldn't you be very disappointed with the PC supplier?

Hey IncTEh

Our D-Link Home Gateway is in fact capable of attaining reasonable WiFi Speed. Here are the results of the tests that I have performed 2 weeks ago.

Download

Upload

Test 1

47.62Mbps

44.35Mbps

Test 2

45.71Mbps

43.70Mbps

Test 3

49.27Mbps

46.43Mbps

========================================
Home is where the ♥ is
Highlighted
Android™ Expert

Still that doesn't explain why its below the standard of the routers in the mass market. This is the worst 802.11n router that I have seen as compared to those in the market currently.

anyway, i look forward to your update that you have promised us. It will essentially decide our next course of actions. It has been a VERY long wait for us. I will also mirror your updates on local forums for mass awareness, together with the comments in this forum for public awareness.

Hi Kai Boon, your test seems ok but have you done a comparison with a mass market router? Only when you juxtapose the 2 sets of result, then you can see the actual performance of the Dlink router (or rather the lack of). I wish to remind those users who made casual remarks regarding our WiFi knowledge to also refer to my test results below. 

+++++++++++++

I can confidently say that there is something wrong with the Dlink router that is provided. The wireless speed is significantly lower as compared to that of my TP-link router (via bridging). Test results below are performed using same conditions (distance from router, laptop, around the same thing of the day etc) except for the router used.

TP-link router (via bridging)

Last Result: Download Speed: 69700 kbps (8712.5 KB/sec transfer rate) 

Last Result: Download Speed: 68689 kbps (8586.1 KB/sec transfer rate)

Last Result: Download Speed: 67563 kbps (8445.4 KB/sec transfer rate)

Last Result: Download Speed: 71461 kbps (8932.6 KB/sec transfer rate)

Dlink router

Last Result: Download Speed: 23108 kbps (2888.5 KB/sec transfer rate) 

Last Result: Download Speed: 19968 kbps (2496 KB/sec transfer rate)

Last Result: Download Speed: 22131 kbps (2766.4 KB/sec transfer rate)

Last Result: Download Speed: 20967 kbps (2620.9 KB/sec transfer rate)

Highlighted
Android™ Expert

impeller, actually KaiBoon also agrees that the Dlink router is not as good as those in the mass market. He is also using a 3rd party router, rather than the Dlink one. He said that when we were having the phone conversation.