Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

DVG-N5402SP

SOLVED
Highlighted
Honored Contributor

Re: Voice of customer - dissatisfied with DVG-N5402SP WIFI speed

Starhub should really consider swapping those with the dlink 5402RG to the newer better one as this current one can't fufill its promised speeds!!!
Highlighted
Esteemed Contributor

Just get another router, the DVG sucks and no homeplugs is going to help you with that

The dlink 865l is a good choice, also the asus rt n66u

Read here the reviews of the dlink 865l: 

http://community.starhub.com/t5/MaxInfinity-Fibre-BroadBand/D-Link-DIR-865L/m-p/33854#U33854

Marco

Highlighted
Home Networking Expert

@jeff_lim wrote:
Hi guys,I need your help/advise. Just signed up 100mbps plan on starhub fibre and my wireless speed can't hit close to 100mbps. When when I'm sitting beside it!!!! In my room its just close to 20mbps just like cable broadband days!!! Do u guys recommend getting homeplugs for the speedboost,increase the wireless range? Are those devices reliable? Or I should just get another new router,the dlink 865l? Its being offered by starhub for redemption for 3800points or for promo price of $120 right? Thanks!

I suppose you understand WIFI concept well? i.e.

802.11n, 802.11ac.

1, 2 or 3 streams,

2.4Ghz or 5Ghz

20, 40, 80 mhz

Router is one part of the equation, and there is no doubt 5402SP is a bit dated now

What kind of wifi card you have in your phone/computer/laptop?

You can definitely upgrade the router, DIR865L probably has everything current gen router should have (or close to it), but if your computer wifi card is still crappy you will not get much improvement.

5402SP wifi is 300Mbps running on 2.4Ghz only

865L is a simultaneous dualband (2.4 & 5Ghz), capable of 450mbps on wifi-N, and 1300 on wifi-AC.

Router spec is impressive, but if you are using wifi on iPhone 4S, 50Mbps actual throughput is very good liao coz that is iPhone 4S limitation.

Computer also depends if you have a 300/450 wifi card, single or dual band

Highlighted
Trusted Commentator

Morning sglnx

Everything is as they are except the removal of the Huawei RG to make way for the DLINK RG.

I will go back and recheck everything.

Thanks for directing me towards the right direction.

Will seek your advise again when I face any issue.

BTW, how long does it normally take for SH to activate the RG on their side? Do they need to access my RG to do so?

Thanks.

Gabriel

Highlighted
Honored Contributor

Yes my wifi card is 802.11n and can receive dual band signals too up to 300mbps? Its intel WiFi Link 5100 802.11n. What about homeplugs are they reliable too? Thanks for the advise. But generally the fibre broadband is quite stable,just that knowing that u r surfing at below promised speeds makes u feel cheated? Certainly I'm expecting more help from starhub. Right now what I'm seeing is that once starhub gets you on as their customer,they dun bother what happens after that. U r left to fend on ur own and even have to pay for another router for their lousy service.
Highlighted
Administrator

Jeff, please understand that the 2.4GHz band is an unlicensed band that has become saturated with the increase in usage of Wi-Fi in more and more homes in our densely populated Singapore.

If wireless is very much more than just convenience to you, please consider upgrading to a dualband router.

On your statement: "once starhub gets you on as their customer,they dun bother what happens after that. U r left to fend on ur own", I have to say that we have invested heavily in this forum platform so that our customers have a voice (or even a collective voice) to speak back to us. This is part of our efforts to steer away from one-way communication where a company keeps blasting advertisements to consumers with no easy route for feedback.

If you need assistance, you can always contact our Customer Service, in particular, the Technical Support Department which operates 24/7 via our 1633 hotline. Alternatively, you can submit a form at http://bit.ly/StarHubQuery

Thanks

Some of my posts are unofficial and may contain personal opinions which may not represent the positions and opinions of StarHub Smiley Happy

Highlighted
Honored Advisor

@jeff_lim wrote:
Yes my wifi card is 802.11n and can receive dual band signals too up to 300mbps? Its intel WiFi Link 5100 802.11n. What about homeplugs are they reliable too? Thanks for the advise. But generally the fibre broadband is quite stable,just that knowing that u r surfing at below promised speeds makes u feel cheated? Certainly I'm expecting more help from starhub. Right now what I'm seeing is that once starhub gets you on as their customer,they dun bother what happens after that. U r left to fend on ur own and even have to pay for another router for their lousy service.

Hi jeff_lim,

As someone who has just recontracted for two addresses, I would beg to differ.

StarHub is an ISP or Internet Service Provider, or a telecommunications company.  The senior management have also described that they want StarHub to be know as the "First Choice for I.C.E.", or "Internet, Communications, and Entertainment".

StarHub is NOT a manufacturer of wifi routers.

So in line with senior management's view, subscribers should be expecting StarHub to provide a stable and value-for-money Internet connection, a stable and value-for-money mobile phone or fixed line service, and a stable and good quality TV connections for a wide range of PayTV programming, video-on-demand offerings, etc.

With StarHub's bundles which include FREE Digital Voice, MaxMobile, Anytime TV (which allows watching of HD channels instead of having to put up your own antenna to view DVB-T2 broadcasts) services, and now 802.11ac routers, I personally believe that StarHub is offering a very very good deal.

And if you remember, with the introduction of the iPhone 3GS in December 2009, StarHub also helped bump mobile data caps across the industry from a then measly data cap up to 12GB.  (However, no on promised that the data cap would come back down after the contracts and price war concluded.)

For historical data, you can refer to this page from iMerlion.  Just be sure to highlight all text in order to see the text in the tables.

Sure, I may not be able to watch NetFlix and Hulu without subscribing to special VPN services, and effectively unlocking the geo-blocking imposed by the original content owners and providers.  But just because something can be technically feasible doesn't mean that it is morally right or ethical.  Eg. should we really be making all our DVD players region-free?

And can we say that StarHub has not been listening to its customers?  As demonstrated by Varun, Howard, KaiBoon and team, StarHub has reacted to feedback regarding the DVG-5402SP, though it has taken longer than most would expect.  But StarHub is capable of taking feedback and changing.

As for calls for StarHub to implement DV-over-ONT, I have also written about implementing DV-over-Ethernet (which is what MyRepublic is doing).  I still feel the latter is better as not all of us have our TP installed in our living room.  Mine is in a utility cupboard, and I don't care to have to charge my cordless telephone in the cupboard, and sharing the same frequency as my router.

For the moment, there may be commercial reasons to choose to deliver DV-over-RG, as opposed to the other two methods.  Otherwise, the alternative is to purchase a VeCM, and have your DV separately delivered over that.

- - -

So I think you need to define what you mean by "lousy service".  Is it really the speed of your Internet connection once your home network is set up optimally?  (You can request for a visit by the HubTroopers to come down and do this.)

If your issue is with the router, then have you considered ViewQwest, viewed by many as the best ISP in town?  What do you make of their Zhone integrated ONT + VoIP + Wifi router?  Is it really any better than StarHub's choice of the DVG-N5402SP?

And if you don't want to use ViewQwest's Zhone as a wifi router, you will have to set it as a bridge and provide your own wifi router.  So is the best and more expensive ISP in town any different from StarHub in terms of providing home networking equipment?

Regards,

sChen

Highlighted
Honored Contributor

Yes I understand in this forum being maintained heavily by you guys and I appreciate it. But I just feel that you guys should offer the new dual band router free for those customers who signed up with u guys earlier,or at least points to redeem it? Called up 1633 and was promised that those technical guys will call back but till now no calls yet
Highlighted
Honored Contributor

I understand SH is already working on DV-over-ONT and hopefully we will hear of its availability soon. I have isolated my DV over to VCM instead of the DV-over RG in the earlier months of my Fibre subscribtion as we all know too well once the RG is down DV also down.

Upto today my home is still experiencing frequent (already 4 times last month and this morninging again) DV down. I can live with reasonable internet availability but having a connection with children in family is my utmost priority. This is one regret that I have in deciding to switch over to DV instead of remaining on analog line.

Yes, Howard I would like to arrest this DV issue over another thread. Can you redirect me to any current thread in this community as I am really interested to find out why so frequent DV is down in my home and if any other users of DV is also facing the same issue or is it ONLY ME.

jyyk

Highlighted
Honored Contributor

@jeff_lim wrote:
Yes I understand in this forum being maintained heavily by you guys and I appreciate it. But I just feel that you guys should offer the new dual band router free for those customers who signed up with u guys earlier,or at least points to redeem it? Called up 1633 and was promised that those technical guys will call back but till now no calls yet

Dear Jeff,

The DLink DVG5402SP is really crap. I encountered many instances of router hang and need to recycle power to get it to work again. You are not alone who this problem with the 5402SP and that's why this thread is here for SH customers to discuss. I raised hell with Starhub and they finally agreed to put me on Direct ONT with my own router with Digital Voice on cable. I used back the same Motorola modem for Digital voice as I did switch from SH Cable to SH Fibre.

When SH annouced the DLink 865L trail, I signed up and was given (loan) the DLink865L. I am much happier now.

I suggest that you write in officially to SH and engage them to investigate the cause of your problem. Given time, I am sure SH will resolve your Broadband issues.

Regards.