Did you mean: 

DVG-N5402SP

SOLVED
Highlighted
Honored Advisor

Re: Voice of customer - dissatisfied with DVG-N5402SP WIFI speed

@z3r0cool81 wrote:

Hi there,

I have just switch over to DVG-N5402SP from the Huawei router after it decided to give up on me. It is sad to read and know that the D-Link RG is worse than the Huawei RG in terms of wireless signal.

In any case, I have a issue here. I have just replaced my Huawei with my new D-Link last night, was told that there is a need to call SH to activate it. I would like to know, prior to the activation, am I able to login to the D-Link RG and made the necessary admin stuff like changing of password, setting my SSID for wireless, wireless security, etc.

If so, how do I go about doing it? I have entered 192.168.0.1 on my browser but it should it an error that it cannot connect or could not load.

Thanks.

Regards,

Gabriel

1. Connect one end of an ethernet cable to your PC's ethernet jack.

2. Connect the other end to the DLINK RG's LAN port (NOT the WAN port).

3. Manually set your PC's IP address to STATIC and key in 192.168.0.254

4. Open a browser and key in 192.168.0.1 on the URL

5. Use admin/password for Admin and Password respectively. (These are default factory setting.)

6. Proceed to change whatever SSID and/or password.

After you're done with the setup, change the PC's IP address back to DHCP.

TP->ONT->Dlink(WAN)

Dlink(LAN)->PC ethernet

Highlighted
Trusted Commentator

Thanks, will try it when i am home.   Smiley Very Happy

Highlighted
Honored Contributor

@Bucsy wrote:

Hi Aprizal,
3 Handphones, 1 ipad, 1 labtop are connected over wireless.
The 2 computers are connected via lan to n5402.
I can access the setup page. I do not see any conflicting IPv4 but it is popping and telling me there are IP conflict.
The wan port is connected to the ONT
The IP address for N5402 is 192.168.0.1.

From my event log, it seems like my IPV6 is the one that is conflicting. what do i do

What OS are you running on the 3 laptop/computers?

Highlighted
Trusted Commentator

@Kah_Heen wrote:

@Bucsy wrote:

Hi Aprizal,
3 Handphones, 1 ipad, 1 labtop are connected over wireless.
The 2 computers are connected via lan to n5402.
I can access the setup page. I do not see any conflicting IPv4 but it is popping and telling me there are IP conflict.
The wan port is connected to the ONT
The IP address for N5402 is 192.168.0.1.

From my event log, it seems like my IPV6 is the one that is conflicting. what do i do

Hi Kah Heen,

2 computer LAN are on Windows 7 Home Premium and Ultimate. The 1 computer on WLAN is macbook.

I have no issues with IPV6 when 1 is on lan and the other on wireless.. The conflict will happen only when there are 2 on lan.

Highlighted
Honored Advisor

Can try disabling the ipv6 on the router's setup page
Highlighted
Honored Contributor

@Bucsy wrote:

@Kah_Heen wrote:

Hi Kah Heen,

2 computer LAN are on Windows 7 Home Premium and Ultimate. The 1 computer on WLAN is macbook

Resolving IP Address Conflicts

For networks where IP addresses are fixed (statically assigned), ensure each local host is configured with a unique IP address.

If your computer has a dynamically assigned address, releasing and renewing its IP address can workaround IP address conflicts.

How to Release / Renew IP Addresses on Windows

1.      Click the Start menu button on the Windows taskbar.

2.      Type 'cmd' (without the quotes) in the search box.

3.      Select cmd from the search result Right click and select Run as administrator and hit Enter. A command prompt window appears on the screen.

a.       Type 'ipconfig' (without the quotes) to view the status of the computer's IP address.

b.      If the computer is holding a current IP address, type 'ipconfig /release' (without the quotes) to let go of the address.

c.       Type 'ipconfig /renew' (without the quotes) to obtain a new IP address (whether or not the computer is holding a current.

I would also suggest you refer the links below for further troubleshooting steps:

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows7/Using-the-Network-troubleshooter-in-Windows-7

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows7/How-do-I-fix-network-adapter-problems

Reset TCP/IP:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/299357

(Applicable to Windows 7)

Hope this information helps you.

Highlighted
Honored Advisor

If you are using DIR-865L, try enabling the dhcp_pd for the local lan.
Highlighted
Trusted Commentator

Hi sgInx,

I followed your instructions/steps and was able to get the RG reset to whatever I want. I changed the router's IP address to 192.168.1.1 & got 192.168.1.101 for dhcp while connected directly to my computer.

Once I move my RG to living room and connect it to the ONT, the IP address I got is 169.254.XX.XX & I could not access the router via 192.168.1.1 or 192.168.0.1.

My setup is such
TP -> ONT -> DLINK (living room) -> Home plug
Homeplug -> switch -> Computer (bedroom)

SH is still activating my DLINK RG I think
Highlighted
Honored Advisor

@z3r0cool81 wrote:
Hi sgInx,

I followed your instructions/steps and was able to get the RG reset to whatever I want. I changed the router's IP address to 192.168.1.1 & got 192.168.1.101 for dhcp while connected directly to my computer.

Once I move my RG to living room and connect it to the ONT, the IP address I got is 169.254.XX.XX & I could not access the router via 192.168.1.1 or 192.168.0.1.

My setup is such
TP -> ONT -> DLINK (living room) -> Home plug
Homeplug -> switch -> Computer (bedroom)

SH is still activating my DLINK RG I think

The 169.254.x.x IP address is a private address assign to your PC when your PC can't get an IP address from the DHCP server.

If you can get an valid IP address (192.168.x.x) when connect directly to the RG, then I suspect there is a breakage (link) between your RG and PC.

Are your homeplugs in working order?

Did you pair the homeplugs properly? Maybe you should try re-pairing the homeplugs.

Are your sure your switch is in working order?

How about the ethernet cables in between the RG and PC? Any connection is loose? Or faulty cables?

Even if Starhub hasn't activate your RG, you'd still be able to obtain an IP adddress from the RG. Only the WAN side has no IP address, the LAN side should be OK. But you won't be able to surf when WAN has no IP address.

Highlighted
Honored Contributor

Hi guys,I need your help/advise. Just signed up 100mbps plan on starhub fibre and my wireless speed can't hit close to 100mbps. When when I'm sitting beside it!!!! In my room its just close to 20mbps just like cable broadband days!!! Do u guys recommend getting homeplugs for the speedboost,increase the wireless range? Are those devices reliable? Or I should just get another new router,the dlink 865l? Its being offered by starhub for redemption for 3800points or for promo price of $120 right? Thanks!