DVG-N5402SP

SOLVED
Highlighted
Honored Advisor

Re: Voice of customer - dissatisfied with DVG-N5402SP WIFI speed

TP Link TL-WDR4300 has security bug.

Please see link.
http://sekurak.pl/tp-link-httptftp-backdoor/

BTW, I am also considering buying this router and videopro is selling at $125. But need to confirm if the latest firmware (dated 19 Mar 2013) has plugged this security hole.

Highlighted
Android™ Expert

I have not encountered any network security risk. And also, I'm not using official firmware, so I could not comment on that. (using dd-wrt)

Hi guys, the SH Technician should have done all the necessary connectivity for Mdm. Lam. Why the parting precautionary message? It speaks loudly its not a remote occurence.

Have we forgotten earlier we were all chasing SH Mgt for resolution even 'Cold solicitation'
Highlighted
Android™ Expert

True that the technician shouldn't use any parting precautionary message. But the technician should have done the necessary configurations. It's ridiculous to say that the Wifi signal drops with time. She should have ensured that the Wifi is working before the technician takes his leave. The only explanation I can find in this is that she does not know how to configure the router, for for to be unable to connect when she is right in front of the router.

Hi,

I just opt for direct ONT with my new ASUS RT-n56u.

Speed is good, but my PC keep intermittently unable to connect wireless to router, but wired no issue.

Anyone using same router with direct ONT can advise?

Highlighted
Android™ Expert

darrengct,

What wireless adapter are you using?

@IncTEh wrote:
True that the technician shouldn't use any parting precautionary message. But the technician should have done the necessary configurations. It's ridiculous to say that the Wifi signal drops with time. She should have ensured that the Wifi is working before the technician takes his leave. The only explanation I can find in this is that she does not know how to configure the router, for for to be unable to connect when she is right in front of the router.
Untitled.pngBottomline is that router is faulty. Period.
http://www.straitstimes.com/archive/saturday/premium/forum-letters/story/faulty-wi-fi-router-replace...

Highlighted
Valued Commentator

Can i add on to the list of dissatisfied customers for starhub broadband?

its been about 4 weeks since i got the starhub maxinifinity broadband 150mbps. The speed is slow, wifi is terrible within the house, can be as low as 2-3 mbps in my bedroom which is less than 3 mbps. Called multiple times and given Feedback, i still haven't got a solution from starhub. The technician has come once, and problem is still not solved. I am supposed to get a call back since 1 week ago, and i still havent got any call. Its terrible service from starhub. DO i have to keep calling and getting no answers? Is posting here the only way i can get a response from starhub ? The forums also have many people who are encountering poor internet from starhub especially with the Dlink D-Link DVG-N5402SP router , why are u guys still giving that router?
My friends using other providers have much better wifi speeds in their house.
I really regret signing up with starhub. 
Can i get a satisfactory response on solving my internet speed issue asap ? 
Please get someone higher up to call me back.
i am terribly annoyed at starhub service and internet and i am tired of waiting

Kelvin

Highlighted
Honored Contributor

Hi Kelvin, PS KaiBoon for help, much quicker than u call the CS
Highlighted
Android™ Expert

The best way to solve the issue you are facing is to use a third party router, like what most of us did. Numerous factors can affect the wifi speed and signal, and as most of us live in high rise apartment, there are bound to be many other wifi APs around which causes congestion in the wifi traffic.

You might be getting 3mbps in your bedroom because of the distance and walls/obstacles between your router and your device. It is true that we can always use a stronger router, but Singapore regulatory limits us to use our router within a certain transmission power, hence limiting the signal. And also, increasing the transmission power will result in higher 'noise', which might cause packet losses. Installing a high-gain antenna will cause your signal to be 'directional'.

The solution to this issue is dependent on various factors, such as the size of your property. Generally, for HDB/condo, get a good dual-band router and place it in a centralised area of your apartment. I would recommend TP-Link TL-WDR4300. For private properties, you will need to lay cat 6 cables to all levels of your property and install a router on every level.